It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Student ‘Lynches’ Two White Guys, Calls It Art

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Honestly on this one... Performance art is performance art. While the social commentary with this particular "art" seems tired, she can say what she wants as long as no one got hurt. I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

butcherguy
From your link:

Edwards says she chose to illustrate this time in history by using race reversal, in an effort to shine new light on an old but standing matter.

"standing matter"? Is there a lot of lynching going on today?

I am not sure of her age, but I think she didn't live through a period of American history where lynchings of people did occur.

Her work is meant to be incendiary, she shouldn't have done it.

luuucy..you got sum splainin' to do...
www.lawschooldiscussion.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

it took me five minutes to find these...just think if I took my time, how many more I would find.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by pstrron

Very typical of our "modern" society to accept things like this. It wasn't OK when whites did it, why should it be OK when blacks do it? (I do realize this wasn't an actual lynching, but think for a minute: What in the hell would happen if whites were behind this "art" lynching two blacks?)

It's people like this "artist" that helps to continue to tensions between races. Al and Jesse too.

I'm a 61 year old white man.....have you been to the south lately? let's just say the N word is used openly and freely, maybe not in certain modern city enclaves, but it would be hard to go a whole day, without hearing it anywhere else.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

redhorse
reply to post by pstrron

Honestly on this one... Performance art is performance art. While the social commentary with this particular "art" seems tired, she can say what she wants as long as no one got hurt. I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it.

If the races were reversed, I wonder what the panty-twist result would be?

If it were a white student "lynching" blacks, would it be received with a calm "Performance art is performance art" attitude?

Place your bets here.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

jimmyx

Auricom
reply to post by pstrron

Very typical of our "modern" society to accept things like this. It wasn't OK when whites did it, why should it be OK when blacks do it? (I do realize this wasn't an actual lynching, but think for a minute: What in the hell would happen if whites were behind this "art" lynching two blacks?)

It's people like this "artist" that helps to continue to tensions between races. Al and Jesse too.

I'm a 61 year old white man.....have you been to the south lately? let's just say the N word is used openly and freely, maybe not in certain modern city enclaves, but it would be hard to go a whole day, without hearing it anywhere else.

Im getting a little sick of "the South" BS on here. I am older and grew up in New Orleans. Some of the first laws on the books for blacks were in my state.LOUISIANA. Is that SOUTH enough for you? We did NOT have the racism thats found in the NORTH or MIDWEST there. Im in Illinois now and its a racial boilingpot.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
― Booker T. Washington

Even way back when, an ex-slave turned author, saw the Rev. Als and Jesse's for what they were. Shakedown artists, both black and white, back then and now.

HOWEVER...I am not against this art that the lady is doing at all, as long as white people are free to do the same. If she wants to call it art, it's up to her. I just had 13 songs copyrighted, and I'm kinda shy about people hearing them because they are, I don't know, me, the things that hard times made. Maybe they won't understand me, or will take me too seriously, or read the song and think I'm the song (which in a way, I am, but not necessarily...heh) Maybe she gets her frustrations out this way, and knows that people will percieve it one way, but she means it another? I didn't check it out because I don't like pictures of anyone hanging, art or photos, but maybe she thinks whitey has paid enough and thinks he's being targeted too much for the cause of ALL the whole world's problems? A "Why are you doing this to the white man?" kinda thing? Or maybe she just hates whites? I don't mind that either! It's OK to hate something sometimes, but if you let that hate possess you and consume you or make you do something stupid, well, you're more of an animal than a human, because you can't deny your baser impulses through reason.

I'd rather her paint than actually go out and hurt someone. The question of whether it "influences" someone is moot. It isn't "obscene." Maybe she's a fan of the old west? Hangings were common, even for whites. Unless you ask her what it means, we'll never know, really. I know when people ask what my songs "really" mean, I tell them it's up to them and that I'll never tell. She might do the same.

I'd really hate to have anyone tell me what I'm allowed to songwrite about, although I do think in a broad sense, there is a lot of crap that calls itself "art," that isn't really "art" except in the minds of the few rubes who buy into it, and of course, *********SHOCK VALUE*********** always sells, see Miley Cyrus lately, etc...

edit on 18-12-2013 by Gozer because: I wanted to say "lately" after the word "Cyrus."

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You know now all I want is for a white student on that campus to make an "art" piece with races reversed and when asked or attacked about it give the same reason as the black student...it is to create awareness and provoke thought and insight into how "art" of this kind promotes the exact thing the intention was to get rid of in the first place. When Jessie and ol Al show up with the media horde all that should be done is to hold up a picture of the black girls display and say all I did was what she did. Plain and simple...if hypocrisy is the norm now I'd like that fact to be apparent to the entire population. Lets see how long that model holds together.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

You do know that there are people who will actually argue that whites are the only race that can be racist, right? They are idiots, but they are out there! Trust me!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

jimmyx

butcherguy
From your link:

Edwards says she chose to illustrate this time in history by using race reversal, in an effort to shine new light on an old but standing matter.

I am not sure of her age, but I think she didn't live through a period of American history where lynchings of people did occur.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

it took me five minutes to find these...just think if I took my time, how many more I would find.

Thats more akin to gang violence than an accurate representation of racial violence. I look at groups like neo nazis and the kkk like a gang that chooses to "beef" with those not of their race...as opposed to a territorial or historical feud type thing I.e. crips/bloods. So I guess im saying that sure things like that happen today but the people doing it are not really representitive of the actual population of "European - American skinned" people.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
According to the author of the "lynching" :

“The purpose of this performance was to bring to light social injustices and the issue of inequality that impacts me and my community as a whole,” Edwards said.

What does she want to bring to light? The way how african americans were treated in a distant past? (comparatively) And can someone in the right might explain to me what are the injustices and inequalities that are impacting african american communities as a whole today?

P.S. I'm sick and tired of this display of hate and racism which constantly is targeting caucasians. The irony? They are the one who are being accused of racism. Go figure!!!
edit on 18-12-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Worse things occur in movies and video games, yet those could be considered art. Worse things occur in war and economics and politics. I believe in freedom, America, land of free, Unless!! you offend me.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, if it had been a white student that used black men as a "prop" no one would hear the end of it and Sharpton and Jackson would be all over the media hopping mad and telling everyone it is NOT art, but racism.

Maybe art, but racist, plain and simple. Racism is a two way street.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

opal13
Well, if it had been a white student that used black men as a "prop" no one would hear the end of it and Sharpton and Jackson would be all over the media hopping mad and telling everyone it is NOT art, but racism.

Youre very right.

IMO if racists want a voice.. let them have it. An example of where Im coming from : Im NDN and involved in matters which matter to us, but I didnt feel offended by the redskins issue. In my mind, most of what is "racist" is just ignorance. Its the intent behind it that really does matter. On the other hand, giving racists the same rights as those we "agree with"... is freedom. Allow them the same right.. and laws be damned, it is a RIGHT to speak your mind even if youre a moron. At least you can see them coming that way.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well white people reallly did and still do lynch black people so ? whats the problem

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

opal13

History is not a two way street. This is making a statement and making people think, you treat other races as lesser then you, but what if it were you. Things in history are provoked and discussed all the time, many things well earlier in time then slavery, why is this a topic that cannot be touched upon? How do you think the native americans feel about thanksgiving? Or Columbus day.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

TheWrightWing

redhorse
reply to post by pstrron

If the races were reversed, I wonder what the panty-twist result would be?

If it were a white student "lynching" blacks, would it be received with a calm "Performance art is performance art" attitude?

Place your bets here.

I hear you. There would be a roar from the black community if it was reversed, no doubt about that. However, that doesn't mean that all the noise would be justified. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I'm not going to pander to the attempted provocation from this woman by getting upset just because "Black people would be upset if it was reversed". And around and around we go, like a snake eating it's own tail. It won't stop until people stop making mountains out of molehills on both sides of the Color Culture divide.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

jimmyx

butcherguy
From your link:

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

I bothered to look at the first link. Of the three that were hangings, two were officially ruled suicides. that's weak.
I see a link to a 1946 lynching. I have been trying to find a link that shows Ms. Edwards age, but I haven't been successful. She is a senior at Sacramento State University. I doubt that she is 67 years old but even if she is 67, I doubt she remembers that one.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Nat Geo - A Modern-Day Lynching

From Wikipedia

In 1981, a trial of Josephus Anderson, an African American charged with the murder of a white policeman, took place in Mobile. While Anderson was convicted at a subsequent trial, this one ended without the jury reaching a verdict. The mistrial upset members of the United Klans of America who believed that the reason for the lack of decision was that some members of the jury were African Americans. At a meeting held after the mistrial, Bennie Hays, the second-highest-ranking official in the United Klans in Alabama, said: "If a black man can get away with killing a white man, we ought to be able to get away with killing a black man."[3]

An inflammatory cartoon from the UKA's The Fiery Cross that was used as evidence in the civil trial resulting from Michael Donald's murder.
The same night other Klan members burnt a three-foot cross on the Mobile County courthouse lawn. Bennie Hays' son, Henry Hays (age 26), and James Llewellyn "Tiger" Knowles (age 17) drove around Mobile looking for a victim.[4][5] Picked at random, they spotted Michael Donald walking home from getting his sister a pack of cigarettes. They kidnapped him, drove out to a secluded area in the woods, attacked him and beat him with a tree limb. They wrapped a rope around his neck, and pulled on it to strangle him, before slitting his throat and hanging him from a tree across the street from Hays' house.[4]

here's the aforementioned cartoon:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

theantediluvian

QUANTUMGR4V17Y
The only question that needs to be asked, which is rhetorical, is; If the student had been white and the actors black, would it still be considered Art?

My bet is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be calling for race riots and that this student be expelled and not allowed into another higher learning institution. The student would be berated 24/7 on TV as being the resurrection of civil war racism.

This is a standing issue? A BLACK MAN HOLDS THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE WORLD, BY POPULAR VOTE, IN A PRIMARILY WHITE COUNTRY. (The President of the United States.)

Peace.
edit on 18-12-2013 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

The more comments like this I read, the more I think of this staged lynching, though admittedly sophomoric, as a work of art. The intended audience was obviously white America. The real question is why are you so upset? A perceived double-standard? Do you believe there exists some sort of black privilege?

As Chris Rock once said,

None of ya would change places with me! And I'm rich! That's how good it is to be white!

These arguments remind me of growing up a white kid in the deep south when other kids would remark on perceived "reverse racism", saying things like, "BET? I bet if we had a WET that would be racist!" and I would think to myself, "aren't all the other channels already WET?"

Speculating on the level of outrage among black people and invoking the twin specters of Jackson and Sharpton plays well to a certain segment obviously, it's done thousands of times a day in Internet forums. What you're choosing to ignore is the context--the simple fact is that there is no history in the United States of black mobs lynching white people. If it were a staged lynching of two black men by a white mob, there wouldn't be any sort of juxtaposition as those things actually happened, making it more akin to a re-enactment.

You're entitled to your opinion. I am upset because a small percentage of society has the entire populace of the United States tip toeing around them. This small percentage of society has had the laws changed, favoring them for positions of employment / education even when they're unqualified, with more than qualified non-minorities losing out on these positions.

These same people take a disproportionate amount of money through welfare and benefits, as well, they qualify for them when non-minorities do not. Yet, all I hear them preaching about is white privilege.

White citizens make up 75+% of this country, Blacks make up ~13%. I'm all for equality, though, I live in Detroit and I know what they preach is demanding superiority, not equality. These people (Liberals) who cry racism are by far the most racist people on this planet. Like I said, they cry about white privilege, yet a black man holds the highest position of power in the world. And he was voted by the majority of this country... Who happen to be white...

Nahhh, we're a racist country.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Of what possible merit can a simulated lynching be viewed in light of the artists statement

“The purpose of this performance was to bring to light social injustices and the issue of inequality that impacts me and my community as a whole,” Edwards said.

The artists statement is nonsense. What experienced inequality artistically could possible be represented by a lynching to communicate the feelings of the artist?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join