It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Student ‘Lynches’ Two White Guys, Calls It Art

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

So you hang two white males to bring to light social injustices and inequality and call it art.

That's a truly imaginative way to vent your hatred for white men.

edit on 18-12-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

damwel
So if he really would have lynched two white guys what would the total of black folks lynched vs white folks lynched be now? Poor white people you are so victimized.

That doesn't make any sense. I have never lynched anybody, nor has anyone in my family but by your logic it would be ok if they were lynched now because of something that happened in generations past?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

I also don't think anybody here was claiming they were victimized. I disagree with it because it does stir the pot and nobody on either side needs racial tensions to become more pronounced. Was I offended? No. I choose not to be offended by things I can't control or help. It is her right to make "art" however she pleases and it is my right to think it's in bad taste.

edit on 12/18/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Blacks deliberately stir the racial pot. They victimize themselves.

link   

pstrron
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No, the men were not killed. They were actors and it was staged. Which does not matter, you don't even stage a lynching let alone call it art.

Okay, there's a huge difference between killing someone and making a point without malicious intent. And it should matter to everyone here. I don't approve of this "art", nor do I approve of not telling the whole story. Either give it to us straight or don't give it to us at all. When we want half-truths, we'll ask FOX for their story.

Personally, had it been me, I would have made a point of mentioning that no one was hurt and that it was just a demonstration. Because people pay attention to details like that. I entered this thread and assumed two men had died in the process of whatever this chick was doing. Because you used the term "lynch" and failed to mention that it was just a demonstration.

Thanks and good bye.
edit on 18-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

link   
I can see the "Point"
What it is lacking is "Art".
When she figures out what art is, she should try something else.
This is purely a reactionary ploy lacking in any aesthetic quality and devoid of creativity.
Last time I heard it's been almost a century since any lynchings were done in the US.
Learn to draw, paint, sculpt - something cause this ain't art.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

kosmicjack
LoL! I find most performance art to be nonsensical, over-dramatic and often offensive ...so what else is new under the sun? And posting it far and wide on the web only furthers the spectacle...why feed it?

It's to counter all the "white" racism threads recently is my guess.
These idiots need to even it up or something, "Look black people are racist too" kinda thing.

Pathetic really.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm not outraged by it, it just is not art in my book. It's tasteless and I'm sure there are those that are offended by it. I see nothing but hypocrisy here. It is all well and good if non-whites do such things and call it art but let a white person do such and it is racist and a hate crime. No crime was committed but it would be called one anyway.

You have black youth attacking people with the intent of knocking them out and it's called a game. A black college student stages a lynching and it's called art. Assault is not a game and lynchings are not art.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Restricted
Blacks deliberately stir the racial pot. They victimize themselves.

Of course they do, how else can they live for free in our country?

The same "man that holds them down" is who's actually responsible for morons like this fake artist to be deliberately racist and get away with it. The streets would be littered with black mobs should this be the other way around - a white group protesting this would immediately be labelled as racist, neo nazi white supremacists.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
I can see the "Point"
This is purely a reactionary ploy lacking in any aesthetic quality and devoid of creativity.
Last time I heard it's been almost a century since any lynchings were done in the US.

Just an FYI, there were numerous lynchings in the 60's during the Civil Rights movement and what is commonly viewed as the last recorded lynching in the U.S. actually happened in Alabama in 1981. As for this being art--like all art, it's appreciation is purely subjective.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The only question that needs to be asked, which is rhetorical, is; If the student had been white and the actors black, would it still be considered Art?

My bet is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be calling for race riots and that this student be expelled and not allowed into another higher learning institution. The student would be berated 24/7 on TV as being the resurrection of civil war racism.

This is a standing issue? A BLACK MAN HOLDS THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE WORLD, BY POPULAR VOTE, IN A PRIMARILY WHITE COUNTRY. (The President of the United States.)

Peace.
edit on 18-12-2013 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Although what is art is entirely subjective, this was a blatant attempt by this student to be a racist and get away with it.

The issue that most people have is that, if it were reversed, and it were two black men doing this performance piece by a white student, the outcry would have been heard 'round the world, with Jesse Jackson and creepy Al Sharpton decrying this racist statement.

If we really want to get rid of racism, we need to stop focusing on skin color, and for God's sake, quit allowing one race to have carte blanche to be racist idiots. Do you see Japanese Americans continually harangue over the fact that they were rounded up and held in prison camps during WWII, while their property was stolen? Do you see Chinese Americans carry on about how horribly they were treated when they built the railroads that made this country rich? Do you see Irish Americans still go on about how "NO IRISH" were common signs once upon a time? I could go on, but my point is, certain segments of the population live in a perpetual victim mentality and this is their excuse for everything.

Old, tiresome, and does NOTHING to lift up the black race.

I could vomit on the ground and call it art too. Gimme an A for creativity, and for pointing out that vomiting is bad, and it is a standing issue.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Personally, had it been me, I would have made a point of mentioning that no one was hurt and that it was just a demonstration. Because people pay attention to details like that. I entered this thread and assumed two men had died in the process of whatever this chick was doing. Because you used the term "lynch" and failed to mention that it was just a demonstration.

Thanks and good bye.

I am certain had it been a white student staging a theatrical depiction of lynching black students, the sentiment would be the same, hmm

It's just "Art" and no one was really hurt, would be what the sort of people known for hysterical sobbing would understand, right?

Somehow, I find that difficult to believe.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Your right it wasn't considered art when White people lynched Black people. It was considered more of a family event where the whole town would gather around, then attend a barbecue afterwards and repeat it again the following weekend.

Are you mad because Al Sharpton didn't protest it? I don't understand the point you're trying to convey here. It does seem that the University does not support this student's opinion and have denounced it.

It certainly does look like ATS has been overrun by a whole bunch of Al Sharptons though, Al Sharptons that will bring up every story that has to do with race in order to promote their race baiting agenda.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Divine Strake
Sorry, but too many people have died for his right to do this. To me, it's as simple as that. Plus, it obviously has given him the attention that he desires.

Issues of race rarely get my attention except when it comes to a negative level. Years ago, I might have stated that this artist may be trying to induce some sort of violence, but now, I'm thinking his work might just be an introspective piece.

Oh but please enlighten us of the depth this could be representing. Sounds like the sort of early Nazi art one would find displayed in 1930s Germany.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

theantediluvian

Asktheanimals
I can see the "Point"

Just an FYI, there were numerous lynchings in the 60's during the Civil Rights movement and what is commonly viewed as the last recorded lynching in the U.S. actually happened in Alabama in 1981. As for this being art--like all art, it's appreciation is purely subjective.

Oh no. You cant use the "subjective" cop out here. This "art" is clearly race hate in all of its flying colors.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

QUANTUMGR4V17Y
The only question that needs to be asked, which is rhetorical, is; If the student had been white and the actors black, would it still be considered Art?

My bet is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be calling for race riots and that this student be expelled and not allowed into another higher learning institution. The student would be berated 24/7 on TV as being the resurrection of civil war racism.

This is a standing issue? A BLACK MAN HOLDS THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE WORLD, BY POPULAR VOTE, IN A PRIMARILY WHITE COUNTRY. (The President of the United States.)

Peace.
edit on 18-12-2013 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

The more comments like this I read, the more I think of this staged lynching, though admittedly sophomoric, as a work of art. The intended audience was obviously white America. The real question is why are you so upset? A perceived double-standard? Do you believe there exists some sort of black privilege?

As Chris Rock once said,

None of ya would change places with me! And I'm rich! That's how good it is to be white!

These arguments remind me of growing up a white kid in the deep south when other kids would remark on perceived "reverse racism", saying things like, "BET? I bet if we had a WET that would be racist!" and I would think to myself, "aren't all the other channels already WET?"

Speculating on the level of outrage among black people and invoking the twin specters of Jackson and Sharpton plays well to a certain segment obviously, it's done thousands of times a day in Internet forums. What you're choosing to ignore is the context--the simple fact is that there is no history in the United States of black mobs lynching white people. If it were a staged lynching of two black men by a white mob, there wouldn't be any sort of juxtaposition as those things actually happened, making it more akin to a re-enactment.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Things like this keep racism alive and well on ALL sides of the fence. It's just never allowed to die a silent death. Something is constantly done (on both sides) to keep the pot stirred and near to boiling at all times.

A person has the right to create this 'art' but what does it accomplish? See the above quote. People just won't let it go away.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Performance "artists" = Attention whores with too large of an audience.

The best thing about performance art is that I am not forced to look at it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hmmmm. Art is suppose to provoke emotion when You look at it. Does her art? Apparently so.... so what's the problem? That she was not politically correct and used her art to illicit an emotional response in a controversial way? I feel the same way when my husband turns on his cartons like American Dad and Family Guy. Completely disgusted I am, more than not, with that show. Do I tell my husband he can't watch it because of my offense? No. I choose just not to watch it. He's still free, the guys who makes the cartoons, to continue on in his art. As is my husband, to view it.

I'm just not upset by this, and am greatly amused by those who are. Generally speaking of course.

CdT

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Very typical of our "modern" society to accept things like this. It wasn't OK when whites did it, why should it be OK when blacks do it? (I do realize this wasn't an actual lynching, but think for a minute: What in the hell would happen if whites were behind this "art" lynching two blacks?)

It's people like this "artist" that helps to continue to tensions between races. Al and Jesse too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join