It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you actually want a SHTF scenario to happen???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The perfect storm SHTF scenario happens. Fortunately for you, you happen to be working down a mine shaft when it happens. When you finally reach the surface most everyone is gone. Only a very small amount of survivors are left fighting for what little remains. You find that most of the supplies out there are gone. All the food has been picked clean to a large degree. it's dog eat dog out there now. It's like your a character in "the walking dead" or "the postman" or "resident evil". Your survival skills are now fully put to the test. You actually have to fight for your survival. Is that a scenario you'd want to happen?

Or are you fine with things the way they are now and you hope that no SHTF scenario ever happens???

edit on 15-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I'd rather the inevitable SHTF scenario never occur but I prep anyway. Throughout the bible (which I believe in) there are many, many times when God tells people that if they repent they can avoid the smack-down that's coming their way. The final smack-down is not avoidable, however, and (wish for it or not) it's coming. IMHO.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

For me personally? Bring on the sh*t and I'll plug in the fan. I seriously doubt I would survive very long, but I would rather die trying than cowering down to a bunch of money grubbing dictators that are only going to slowly kill me anyways.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

spartacus699

The perfect storm SHTF scenario happens.

Which is what?

spartacus699

Fortunately for you, you happen to be working down a mine shaft when it happens.

Why am I in a mine all of a sudden? What sort of mine? What's my job in the mine? How did the mine protect me from the perfect storm exactly? How long am I in the mine that the danger has passed on the surface?

spartacus699

When you finally reach the surface most everyone is gone.

What is 'most everyone'?

spartacus699

Only a very small amount of survivors are left fighting for what little remains.

If there is a small amount of survivors and little remains, doesn't it balance out?

spartacus699

You find that most of the supplies out there are gone. All the food has been picked clean to a large degree.
it's dog eat dog out there now.

So we eat the dogs.

spartacus699

It's like your a character in "the walking dead" or "the postman" or "resident evil". Your survival skills are now fully put to the test. You actually have to fight for your survival. Is that a scenario you'd want to happen?

'You're'. Which fictional universe? Which character is it 'like' I am? I don't remember miners in any of them.

spartacus699
Or are you fine with things the way they are now and you hope that no SHTF scenario ever happens???

This is the only part of your post you actually needed. So yes.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I used to fantasize about which you speak. I discovered in myself that if I actually did want it to happen I wouldn't be living inside right now talking on my computer. I like other people making things for me.

Maybe we can recover a more sensible society yet? As I've aged I have become more of an optimist who doesn't crave a reset button, but rather a higher level character, to deal with these upcoming boss levels.

You have to realize that shtf scenarios only cause a reset of time, but not of character of humanity. The game begins again and in 200-1000 years you will be right here again dealing with computers and privacy again. The pattern we have gone through was bred from needs. For instance in the glorious days of thieves people begged for banks, which was much better than being jacked on the road for ALL that you are worth.

It might be fun to be an indian or something similar with not many people around. Then again look at a map of nuclear power plants in the united states (or your country) and realize that surviving won't be very possible for long.
edit on 11/15/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm gonna be totally honest here and admit that there is a part of me that wishes for something like this to happen. Only a part though. If you actually gave me switch to pull that would make the # hit the fan so to speak, I wouldn't do it. I still have too much to loose and too much sympathy for the loss of others. But a small part of me would want to do it, still.

It's like when you see an airplane in the sky. I think some people kind of wish that airplane would crash. Just for the excitement, or something. It's the sickness of our time, or a basic human condition. Journalists, especially, are prone to this. Don't blame them; they're not evil. It just comes with the job. They don't really want bad things to happen but, when they do happen, it gives them a chance to report something important. Kind of like a psychiatrist gets excited to treat an especially strange and difficult case of madness. Or like this:

“It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another.”

― Livy

And of course, since i'm a man, there's also that extra fantasy of being able to prove myself in hardship and mortal combat. Even though I probably wouldn't last long.

Edit: In a real "# hits the fan" scenario there will be no epic theme playing in the background. Only the gurgling of zombies.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Subnatural because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2013 by Subnatural because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Don't really care one way or another. SHTF scenario is unavoidable so I'd have no option about it happening or not. Would a trigger one, no I wouldn't. Am I ready for one maybe, I know I'm better off than a lot of people but there are no guaranties in life.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Personally no. But honestly, I do believe that earth and humanity needs a "reset". The sooner the better. Being the mother of 1 child who cannot bare any children, I'm kind of happy that I won't have to watch my grandchildren and great-grandchildren (if I'm fortunate enough to live that long
) live in a self destructing world full of violence, hatred and greed.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Not if it is real S**t hitting a real fan. How gross.

We need a correction to put people on the right track not a major shtf. We need to learn to build friendly and helping communities. We are going astray in this country, people are out for themselves instead of having a synergetic community base. The government is supposed to promote this but they want us dependent on them. They have conditioned communities to want more than they need. So the communities get hooked on federal funds that aren't even paid for to build their communities attractability instead of just taking life calmly. The stress that evolves from this is causing problems with people.
edit on 15-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Eh...Not really, just have a wee look see at all countries where TSHHTF and it's nothing but Atrocities...

If and when the SHTF you'll be lucky to survive without yer Balls in a Pickle jar for someones amusement..

People dont just kill, they take great pleasure in making other suffer.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I would never want the STHF because it would be awful to have to clean it up.

Even though some TV series like Walking Dead romanticise the notion, it doesn't appeal to me.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
A shtf event will eventually happen and all the people that were obsessed with being prepared will be in for a huge surprise. All that food and ammo/guns won't help at all because they forgot one simple thing.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

In my younger years yes.

But now I have two kids, the answer has to be no.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

So we eat the dogs.

I think more dogs will eat people then people eat dogs. I think packs of roving, killer dogs will be a reality.
edit on 11/15/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

olaru12
A shtf event will eventually happen and all the people that were obsessed with being prepared will be in for a huge surprise. All that food and ammo/guns won't help at all because they forgot one simple thing.

And what do you think was forgotten?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

whitewave

olaru12

And what do you think was forgotten?

They forgot where they stashed it..

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'd have to say I definitely do not want to see this happen and for the most basic of reasons.

If TSHTF in a serious way as we discuss here on a daily basis, it isn't a question of IF people will die. It isn't a question of whether MANY people will die. It's only a question of WHICH many will be included in the dead.

To be blunt and absolutely honest? A societal collapse runs estimates between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of current population either lost outright in the body count or lost in terms of being functional in any meaningful way again.

So... Imagine yourself in a line of your closest friends and family. Look to your right and look to your left. ONE and likely BOTH of those people will be dead by the end of what some fantasize about. That's statistical fact by previous collapses through history and recent regional examples to judge and determine likely outcomes from.

Which 2 of those closest friends and family...do people not mind seeing (and likely directy seeing) killed?

.....the inability to ever answer that question prevents me from ever feeling more than foreboding and an overall desire that "TSHTF" wait another 20 years or so ..so I may be history myself, when it all starts.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
No one should want this. I certainly do not. I have read many threads where people post their desire for our way of civilization to end and start over. I doubt people understand how bad things would get and how fast it would happen. True Survivalists understand and know their chances are slim at best. Where does that leave the rest of civilization? Starving, freezing, diseased, wounded, fearful, murderess, and ultimately dead.

I am married and have a son. I have lived in major cities, small towns, and out in the country. My primary job would be to find food and shelter for my son, wife, and myself, in that order. It is foolish to think that we would all survive, at that is just my immediate family. Sure, everybody thinks they can stock up on food, water, weapons, and ammo, but those convenient resources will run out or get stolen by force or cleverness/trickery. Passiveness will only get you so far.

I have faith that humanity will find a way, but the death tolls will be startling once most everyone's week of supplies run out and they leave the cities for the countryside. Country living is hard, but rewarding. Humanity functions better in farmer/hunter/gatherer communities where everyone participates and contributes.

I hope these circumstances never come to be, but I am not foolish enough to believe our leaders will be able to prevent TSHF. Financial collapse is my least concern. Nuclear War scares the Hell out of me. Asteroids, Comets, Solar Flares, or whatever else Cosmic would be surreal. Its the Civil War possibility that worries me the most. Family against family. Humanity at its worst. Worse than dropping bombs or launching missiles.
I do not fear Martial Law or a Police State. I do worry about genocide. Humans are really quick to identify potentially threatening mass populations and eradicate them...insects, animals, other races.

So, good luck to everyone in the case this happens. No one can imagine the horrors that would transpire, so do not pretend you are ready, just get ready enough.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
How many of these threads are you going to start?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Again? This has happened before. Mother Earth is an "Etcha-Sketch" The poles (Norte/Sureno) is actually the width & length levers. When the fecal matter (The "S" in Your eloquent title) does hit 'the fan' it'll be because it is out of balance somewhere and in some way, just as it has over and over from the beginning.

I'd be curious as to Your opening post. While I'm down in the mine, I've been able to prove only One thing, My ass is COLD brrrr.. What happened to "most" of the survivalists? Did they make it? Hows about the family w/the good looking daughters that build castles on a "reality show" when they aren't shooting bows & arrows? I'd wager in Your above pleasant scenario it would end up like the scene in the movie "Con Air" when '2 went down and only 1 came back', 2 "survivalists go to their 'compound' (wearing fatigues) and then they argue about what to watch on their t.v. Now, there is One survivalist.

Preparing to die, what a way to Live. Kinda like Praying like hell to get to Heaven, takes the fun out of LIVING.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join