It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Hieroglyph - Is It Possible To Build a 15Km High Tower ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Please delete if so.

This is a project to build a tower that is 15Km high !!! ....Yes you heard it right !

The tower project began when Neal Stephenson started asking a simple question: how tall can we build something? As he started working with structural engineer Keith Hjelmstad, it turned out that this question has some surprising answers

hieroglyph.asu.edu...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Vsauce did it first

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

That has to have been the most boring youtube video i have ever seen. I almost lost my will to live 1/4 of the way through.

Big question is do we need a tower that big, is there an advantage to building it? Is someone over compensating?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The last time they did this they all started speaking different languages.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by AQ6666

That has to have been the most boring youtube video i have ever seen. I almost lost my will to live 1/4 of the way through.

Big question is do we need a tower that big, is there an advantage to building it? Is someone over compensating?

True it`s a bit boring video, lol

Ok, if they build a tower that big, maybe they can put a chair on top and watch the view

edit on 1-10-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

And freeze to death from the cold or die from the lack of oxygen , sounds like a blast

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We are limited by our lack of technology, understanding of materials, assets and capacity to produce. But beyond that I doubt that there are any physical limits to how tall a building might get. But I imagine you would face all sorts of weird obstacles once you reach the mesosphere - like how to avoid getting destroy by meteors.

But I doubt we will ever go that far. The 15 km tower seems like a fantasy as well. It simply doesn't seem like a very functional way to build. One might envision a future where overpopulation forces us to live in such structures, but we know that the earth's ecosystems do not produce enough recourses to ever allow for such an overpopulation, so that won't ever be the case.
These type of buildings will only ever be for the mega rich, and even they have their limits.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by AQ6666

And freeze to death from the cold or die from the lack of oxygen , sounds like a blast

Nahh, they`ll build a nice confortable room on top. Just like to be in a plane, lol

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by AQ6666

I was kind of thinking the same thing!
Interesting though.

top topics

join