It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: I have decided US should take action in Syria but will seek authorization from congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just breaking live From the white house.

So he is seeking approval from congress.
Lets hope they make the right decision.... At least the proper democratic way will now take place. I wonder what will occur if congress votes no. Will he still have the power to issue the order to strike??

I guess he was under too much pressure. I wonder what France will do now.

So congress comes back on September 9th so I dont see anything happening till then. Well unless some major event happens....

edit on 31-8-2013 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thread here.

I paraphrased the first moments of the address if people are curious...
edit on 31-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2013 by boncho because: Updated link, sorry, wrong one at first

I have a feeling this might have been all approved behind closed doors already and that's why he's willing to take the vote to congress.
edit on 31-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by maythetruthbeknown
Just breaking live From the white house.

So he is seeking approval from congress.
Lets hope they make the right decision.... At least the proper democratic way will now take place. I wonder what will occur if congress votes no. We he still have the power to issue the order to strike??

What a coward.

He's looking for an excuse to back away from his red line comment. Talk is cheap Obama.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
AIPAC will be making the telephone phone calls right now!

Gotta make sure congress votes the "right" way.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Indeed..

This could go a few ways:

1. Congress votes "No Action".. and Obama stands down (The only way he MIGHT be able to save face on his red line stance with Syria).

2. Congress votes "Action" and Obama strikes.

3. Congress votes "No Action" and Obama strikes anyways.

4. Something happens in the mean time to cause us to have to act. (False flag, attack on our assets in the Med Sea, etc).

Sept 9th looks to be when Congress will be back in session..

Time will tell. Hind-sight will be 20/20.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Good work on the paraphrasing. Yeah he probably knows he will win ,would he really risk the chance of looking weak and a failure if it doesnt pass congress?

Well guess we will have to wait and find out. Wonder if France will act on its own...doubt it very much.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Hmmm what about also attacking Iran? I'm pretty sure once Syria was attacked the Iranians will fire missiles into the oil fields of Saudi Arabia and possibly the Israelis.
edit on 31-8-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnis
Indeed..

This could go a few ways:

1. Congress votes "No Action".. and Obama stands down (The only way he MIGHT be able to save face on his red line stance with Syria).

2. Congress votes "Action" and Obama strikes.

3. Congress votes "No Action" and Obama strikes anyways.

4. Something happens in the mean time to cause us to have to act. (False flag, attack on our assets in the Med Sea, etc).

Sept 9th looks to be when Congress will be back in session..

Time will tell. Hind-sight will be 20/20.

Options 2 and 3 are likely but being a conspiracy site I am going to go for option 4. Maybe a ff on France that would probably draw US Uk and others into a war......Hmmm wasnt the Eiffel tower evacuated the other day.?..could of been their chance to plant something....Or on some assets of the US or mainland.... Time will tell

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
And where is Israel?? Really this doesn't sit right by me. TO much fuzz for a simple " surgical" strike.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hmm... maybe he was under pressure from John Kerry and others to push for war, and thought this was a good move to quiet them down? I think it is a good idea to have a vote from congress.

Wow! We are actually going to have congress vote on a military operation for once, amazing. That in itself is a major accomplishment, I hope it sets a new precedent.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where things literally could happen in a few seconds, and it takes a lot of time to gather people in a room and count votes by hand.
edit on 31-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by maythetruthbeknown
reply to post by boncho

Good work on the paraphrasing. Yeah he probably knows he will win ,would he really risk the chance of looking weak and a failure if it doesnt pass congress?

Well guess we will have to wait and find out. Wonder if France will act on its own...doubt it very much.

If I remember correctly he said he was able to simply carry out the attack without congressional approval, we both know he wants it, and he is taking it for approval, so that says to me this has already been agreed upon behind closed doors.

Also, this speech came out right after the UN inspectors were out (if I remember correctly).

All of this kind of paints a picture of whats going on in front and behind the scenes.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And Lets not forget the REAL reason for the Syrian Invasion, it has little to do with people.
Besides, all this movement just to halt or quit fak no.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Yeah Israel is strangely silent. I think they know that they are going to suffer a lot when the inivatable attack happens and dont want to rock the boat too much.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Israel have been involved in this up to their eyeballs from the get go!
It was those Israel-firster neocons that drew up the hit list of countries in the first place.

They are acting all quiet and getting ready to play the victim card again if anyone launches anything against them when the missiles fly.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
When bill Clinton was caught with his pants down he suddenly found a "chemical weapons factory" to bomb and everyone forgot what he did. At a time when America was reeling from a massive spy scandal, when the british were detaining the partners of journalists they suddenly have a muslim country to bomb

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It looks like our courages,let the blacks youth do what they want with a free pass in school,etc.just tried to throw the ball in congress court.Praying they let him off the hook after his redline was breached.Hes easily one of the worst presidents ever.And thats quite a feat considering.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I kind of like that congress has a say on whether we go into Syria with military action. Especially with the current state of budget cuts and furloughs happening. However I also think something has to be done to help protect people from dying at the hands of chemical weapons. I am just not sure if a small military strike is going to really stop chemical warfare from continuing to happen. By the time we get through congress and execute the strikes, they will have moved a lot of the important stuff into another country.

new topics

top topics

join