It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to Address the Nation on Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

President Obama to Address the Nation on Syria

www.abc22now.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House says President Barack Obama is getting ready to speak about Syria from the White House.

A White House official says Obama's remarks will not be about an imminent military operation in Syria, but will be an update to the public about his decisions on how to proceed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well this could be interesting,

Obama is about to address the nation regarding the Syrian crisis

Could we be about to see the start of a new conflict in the middle east, apparently this isn't going to be about military action but nevertheless it could prove to be interesting.

www.abc22now.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-8-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well Obama is on the phone apparently. And so his speech is delayed! Perhaps ET is telling him to back off!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Address just started

Paraphrased from Obama:

"Intelligence shows that assad forces were launching rockets into suburbs acknowledging chemical attack took place. World already sees what is confirmed. over 1000 people murdered several hundred were children, young people murdered by their government
edit on 31-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

presents a serious risk to our national security. endangers our friends israel, jordan, etc, etc

world with many dangers this menace must be confronted.

I have decided WE SHOULD TAKE MILITARY ACTION AGAINST SYRIA

our military has assets in the region. the chairman has informed us we will be ready to strike whenever. I am prepared to strike, tomorrow, one week, a month from now. i am mindful i am the president of the world oldest constitutional democracy.

thats why i made a second decision. i will seek authorization from congress to make a strike.

so this morning i spoke with all four congressional leaders and they agreed to have a vote to decide in congress when and if to strike.

and all of us should be accountable whther or not to move forward and that should be done with a vote.

I am confortable to move forward without a UN secirtuy council decision

i feel i have the authority to take this action without congressional approval but i will seek it because its the right thing to do for our democracy
"

what message do we send if we let a dictator gas hundreds of children and take no action?"

This here is the early moments of the adress which I typed out in real time. It is paraphrased and I tried to do it as close as possible. most of it is word for word but some has been slighted changed because of my typing limits.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well he must think he has the votes. Are they gonna vote without all the members??

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am no obama lover

but that was a very impressive speech

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
seems like he was possessed by some rational spirit. i guess it's never to late to try to do right.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

In what way?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
seems like he was possessed by some rational spirit. i guess it's never to late to try to do right.

yeah you have to give him some credit

I think Obama's handling of Syria has been awful

but, I think this is really quite a impressive move Obama has just made

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
On the other hand he loves a saturday night surprise. the iron dome is on all the ships are in place and he showed a willingness to go by the book. i'd say he is clear to start firing now.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
wait so hes actually gonna try to get congressional approval to bomb syria.....a us president getting permission for war....like another member posted he scores poiints with this one and im by no means a fan but this he did well

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Kram09

In what way?

Going to Congress for one thing

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

And if Congress vote against military action, he could still go ahead with it anyway?

link   

Kram09

And if Congress vote against military action, he could still go ahead with it anyway?

I really dont think he would, but time will tell

link   
I'll cross my fingers, but i will not hold my breath with congress. They probably have forgotten how to do their jobs since Dictator I'llbombya has been making all the decisions as of late.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

that was a very impressive speech

Really ?

I though it was anything but impressive.

He was forced into a congressional debate by the American people, thankfully.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I'll be very surprised if they vote against it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

No he cannot. He can only legally do this if there is a direct threat to the American people.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by boncho

Well he must think he has the votes. Are they gonna vote without all the members??

Some people are so naive.

Look, he committed to acting if Syria was known to attack its civilians with Chemical Weapons. By all accounts, his advisors were surprised when he made the "red line" statement as it wasn't part of the US foreign policy at the time.

Now he's being tested but he knows the will may not be there in Congress so, if they vote no, he can walk away looking like he's done the decent thing by putting it to the elected representatives.

If they vote yes, he can proceed and if there are repercussions, he can say that Congress voted on it so they share the responsibility.

If the man had a backbone and one iota of decency, he'd have attacked at the first opportunity. Now this will all fizzle out until next time and the whole ridiculous charade will play out again.

Cowardly political gameplaying - not being a respectable statesman. That is what you've just witnessed.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Calmer Heads Prevail !

Thank God. I was impressed too by that (if he keeps his word).

I also know that his claim of "no boots" on the ground is meaningless. Whether bombs impact the ground from the air or are carried across the border, it is still a violation of International Law.

I also know that a nation doesn't build five hundred attack missiles, put them on ships, sail half way around the world and park them off a countries coast line for no reason.

So my brain is telling me yay we're not attacking today, but my gut is telling me we will eventually. We have been by proxy for over two years. Not much difference.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join