It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to Address the Nation on Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
When our dictator said " While I believe I have the Authority to carry out this military action without congress approval " it made my skin crawl....

Hey Mr Obama...

Congress can only declare war..... NOT YOU

Is that a Cheney quote?
Or a Bush quote ?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sounds like delaying tactics to me. maybe gonna be another false flag that will bring more allies onboard and then it's good to go.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wait, if we don't bomb the crap out of Syria, how will we get their assets into the IMF? I'm lost, if Syria continues to refuse to pledge their assets to the IMF for a chance to borrow against those assets, we have no choice but to kill them all.

Congress doesn't get it, the dollar, the state of the world's economy, rests on Syria and Iran giving up sovereignty and pledging both their human assets as well as their physical assets to the IMF.

The PR campaign on this is a mess. The Chem weapons is old and tired, used too many times to be effective. I think congress needs to know the facts, as do the people, then and only then will they gleefully authorize and all out war. The US will see so many changes in their lives once the IMF gets the assets of Iran and Syria. They got the assets of Libya and our lives are completely different, in fact after Iraq's assets were put into the IMF out entire standard of living went up and stabilized.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Sounds like delaying tactics to me. maybe gonna be another false flag that will bring more allies onboard and then it's good to go.

I think the media campaign will start up in earnest now. Talk of "can America just stand by and let Assad use chemical weapons?" and talk of American credibility etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I give the President a big thumbs up...

I criticize him daily. This time he was right to punt.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Is this how the government used to work. As mentioned in the various laws like the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

whyamIhere
I give the President a big thumbs up...

I criticize him daily. This time he was right to punt.

That's kind of where i am over this as well

I have been quite critical of his policy towards syria so far

but i have to give him credit where its due and he deserves it after that speech

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If Congress does the right thing and listens to its constituents it will vote against any kind of military intervention. We do not need another morass like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Obama is a bad president; the worst we've ever had. If he enters into another conflict he will have proven yet again what a horrible "leader" he is and he should be promptly impeached.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Clever Barak just himself from getting impeached. I would also call him cautious. If Congress allows the strike then at least with the US, Barak does not have much issues. UN and global is other matter.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Obama is clever. Very clever.

After making everybody think he was going to bypass Congress, he now does a 180.

It was smart because IF HE HAD decided to go, it would have made him look good as long as the operation was a success.

But now he knows the operation may not work.

So now HE diverts to Congress.

Any failures either way now will be blamed on somebody else.

Notice how he talks tough NOW.

The pressure is off of him. [ Wheew that was a close one ! ]

And besides, Nancy said to go to Congress the other day !!!!

Pelosi said must engage with the full Congress on military intervention in Syria and provide 'additional transparency into the decision-making process'

And She's even giving the appearance of 'cooperating' with Speaker Boehner !!!

Afterward, the House Democratic leader, Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California, pointedly sided with Republican Speaker John Boehner of Ohio in urging the administration to do more to engage with Congress on the matter.

Nancy Pelosi warns President Obama that he needs to win over Congress before launching a unilateral strike against Syria

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I am no obama lover but that was a very impressive speech

I"m sure that whoever wrote it is a very well paid speech writer.

That being said ... If congress says 'NO' to Syria .. perhaps enough time will have passed
that Obama will be distracted with something else and forget about his massive need to
bomb Syria to help the Muslim Brotherhood establish a caliphate in the Middle East.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think he made the right move. Putting it to congress and bringing the debate further to the American people. It should be quite entertaining to see the media circus side show that results. Who needs reality TV?

Reality is strange in and of itself.

Whether or not I approve of war, I will stand with my country, if it is backed by the civilian government officials WE voted for approve. This is our government put into action and being utilized in the way it's suppose to. Now it's up to the people to be active, write your congressmen, and get involved in the process.

I give the President a thumbs up on his response, to this crisis. And it is a crisis for the Syrian people. The civilians amongst the death and violence, should be in everyone's thought and if your geared toward it, prayers too.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I am no obama lover but that was a very impressive speech

I"m sure that whoever wrote it is a very well paid speech writer.

That being said ... If congress says 'NO' to Syria .. perhaps enough time will have passed
that Obama will be distracted with something else and forget about his massive need to
bomb Syria to help the Muslim Brotherhood establish a caliphate in the Middle East.

Good Post !

The 'Caliphate' threat is genuine.

The last 'official' one lasted 400 years and ended less than a hundred years ago !!

Ottoman Caliphate

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
As somebody just pointed out on twitter, now that Cameron has been out voted and now Obama going for a vote, does this mean France will also go to a vote. That will likely be a No as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
As somebody just pointed out on twitter, now that Cameron has been out voted and now Obama going for a vote, does this mean France will also go to a vote. That will likely be a No as well.

France will have a vote on sept 4, but doesnt matter if they voted no, Hollande can send troops etc anyway
edit on 31-8-2013 by Demanto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Demanto

How does it not matter, I hear that France is now America's oldest allie. Not gonna be any good if they say no. Who will be the oldest allie then ?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

The other poster that posted this topic (that was closed) said Obama seeking approval shows that the US isn't the super power it once was. That's ridiculous of course Obama would and could have just bombed Syria into the ground. The reason he didn't was because way wayyy too many Americans showed disapproval. I still think he will go but he's hoping he can spread some blame before he makes the move. This delay is as close to a victory the people can get.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

I wonder what they will do if they all vote no, it will really limit their ability to act with out a domestic backlash

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Credit for what? If he dropped the issue he would deserve credit. He just realized that everyone was angry and 91 percent of polled people were against strikes. Doing this he has a chance to spread the blame if congress green lights and if they don't then he tried and will go ahead and be no worse than if he had bombed Syria today.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hollande is not bound to the votes, like Cameron
If they voted no, he can go anyway, and will backup the USA, military

It's like the USA, they will bomb Syria, regardless what Dem/Rep will say
edit on 31-8-2013 by Demanto because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join