It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to Address the Nation on Syria

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Quote of the year from Obomba there, apparently the U.S. is "wary of war".

Yeah, since when? lol:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenx1

So going to Congress is somehow weak and cowardly? Sounds a bit like democracy to me - you know that thing America apparently tries to bring to the rest of the world.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
When our dictator said " While I believe I have the Authority to carry out this military action without congress approval " it made my skin crawl....

Hey Mr Obama...

Congress can only declare war..... NOT YOU

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

"Intelligence shows that assad forces were launching rockets into suburbs acknowledging chemical attack took place. World already sees what is confirmed. over 1000 people murdered several hundred were children, young people murdered by their government

Hmmm......Yet another source says...

EXCLUSIVE: Syrians In Ghouta Claim Saudi-Supplied Rebels Behind Chemical Attack Rebels and local residents in Ghouta accuse Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan of providing chemical weapons to an al-Qaida linked rebel group.

web.archive.org...://www.mintpressnews.com/witnesses-of-gas-attack-say-saudis-supplied-rebels-with-chemical-weapons/168135 /

(link takes you to the 'wayback machine, as the original story is offline, no surprise there)
Thread here

I don't know who to believe anymore, but when sites/stories that contradict the 'official' story one has to wonder.

edit on 31-8-2013 by occrest because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2013 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

i feel i have the authority to take this action without congressional approval but i will seek it because its the right thing to do for our democracy

Congress represents the people of the United States. If you can get the people on board, then I'm sure congress would OK any strike.

But as far as I have heard, the populous overwhelmingly does not want any action in Syria at all.

So my prediction is the propaganda machine is about to be kicked into VERY HIGH GEAR. Much more than the last couple of months.

They are going to "persuade" the people into telling their representatives to OK manipulation of Syrian and middle east matters.

The propaganda to people of the USA as well as other countries citizens will be so great that people will be crying and begging for congress to go through with planned actions. Just watch.

To me this seems like a corporate and banking war. It seems to me they already had this planned out for years and the only hard part of the plan is manipulating public agreement.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

So going to Congress is somehow weak and cowardly? Sounds a bit like democracy to me - you know that thing America apparently tries to bring to the rest of the world.

Of course it is, he's looking for someone to blame if he "can't" take action or someone to shoulder the responsibility if he can.

A true statesman is elected to high office to make these decisions. Obama claims he has made his yet has afforded Syria even more time to prepare its response. Brilliant stuff from him, what a genius.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

yet has afforded Syria even more time to prepare its response.

Which you think will be what exactly?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Somehow this doesn't surprise me he chose congressional approval, but I can't say I believe it will matter. It's all theatrics.
We don't have to have boots on the ground anymore to turn the tides of war. Just fund any opposition and sit back and wait for the dust to clear. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Syria is about to see what Libya went through a couple of years ago.

It seems Retired General Wesley Clark spoke the truth. Lebanon, Somalia, Sudan, and Iran...You're next.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

yet has afforded Syria even more time to prepare its response

Syria cannot attack America, not really.

at best this speech from Obama could deter further use of chemical weapons by Assad

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

yet has afforded Syria even more time to prepare its response.

Which you think will be what exactly?

For starters - filling all his military installations with prisoners and perhaps other civilians.

Activating cells he may have sent to other countries to respond with attacks against the population in the event of an attack on Syria.

Devising a clear military response against US and French assets, other nations in the region and trying to persuade his allies to join in such a response.

Just for starters.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

For starters - filling all his military installations with prisoners and perhaps other civilians.

Activating cells he may have sent to other countries to respond with attacks against the population in the event of an attack on Syria.

You're basing these two points on what exactly?

Devising a clear military response against US and French assets

Yes, which could be what exactly?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

yet has afforded Syria even more time to prepare its response

Syria cannot attack America, not really.

at best this speech from Obama could deter further use of chemical weapons by Assad

Why would it? The man is experiencing a civil war which has raged for two years. He's not gonna give the tiniest # about a few words from someone half the world away!

Talk is cheap.

If anything, this will embolden him and/or his generals. And not just those in Syria - all around the world now and in future people will realise they can use chemical weapons and perhaps biological and maybe even nuclear without response because those with the ability to respond are too scared or the ramifications.

Granted, at face value Obama's speech is different but it is actually highly cynical and i'm amazed more people can't recognise that.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Why would it? The man is experiencing a civil war which has raged for two years. He's not gonna give the tiniest # about a few words from someone half the world away!

Yes but above you just said:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

No i would have to disagree Obama has sent a clear message that he can hit Syria whenever he wants so if Assad starts playing with more chemical weapons like he did last week, he will have to face up to a American strike

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I see this as great news.Let's not mince words here. The oligarchic faction is pushing the world to the brink of disaster, and the world is pushing back. Anytime the little guy can dissuade the big guy from doing what he wants, even in the face of massive propaganda, it's a victory for everyone. This is the social progression we, as a whole, need to realize and continue to push.The one fear I do have is, will they now take drastic action if they feel a lot of effort and money may be lost? How far are the string pullers willing to go to accomplish an ends? You can be sure of a response at some point. It may be a week, it may be a year. The ones who rule never just lay down, especially in the face of defiance by the people.
edit on 31-8-2013 by GD21D because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If you believe that the traitors in congress will vote against military action, you may want to have your urine screened for traces of drugs.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yes but above you just said:

That doesn't mean he's afraid for gods sake and that is what you need to prevent him doing it again.

What you don't do is give him so much notice that you can entirely mitigate a pending attack. What you don't do is give a target the opportunity to consider how to play out your actions to their maximum benefit.

Mark my words, the attack will now never happen. The moment has passed and everyone involved knows it. Oh they'll maintain the rhetoric but bit by bit the focus will drift away, maybe the promise of talks will emerge but still.. he will retain the opportunity to gas who he wants, when he wants.

Yep, we can now conclude that he has gotten away with gassing a minimum of 1,500 people. I can't imagine the world taking it so calmly if it had happened in New York or London. But what does it matter eh, they're all potential terrorists anyway, right?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
“Although I am an anarch, I am not anti-authoritarian. Quite the opposite: I need authority, although I do not believe in it. My critical faculties are sharpened by the absence of the credibility that I ask for. As a historian, I know what can be offered.” - Ernst Junger, P-67 Eumeswill

Chemical weapons, weapons of mass destruction...taken from a recent tale of fiction. Repeated with dramatic visual effect. Critical faculties are sharpened by the absence of credibility. The absence of credibility.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

No i would have to disagree Obama has sent a clear message that he can hit Syria whenever he wants so if Assad starts playing with more chemical weapons like he did last week, he will have to face up to a American strike

That message was understood by anyone with a double digit IQ before the civil war started, before he started gassing civilians. That message don't mean diddly-squat.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So were you gravely concerned about the welfare of Syrian civilians prior to the use of chemical weapons?
edit on 31/8/13 by Kram09 because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join