It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Syrian Electronic Army takes down New York Times website

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

BREAKING NEWS: Syrian Electronic Army takes down New York Times website

rt.com

The New York Times’ website has been disabled for the second time in under a month, with the newspaper attributing the outage to a “malicious external attack” widely thought to have come from hackers affiliated with the Syrian Electronic Army.

“Many users are having difficulty accessing the New York Times online,” the paper wrote on its Facebook page. “We are working to fix the problem. Our initial assessment is the outage is most likely the result of a malicious external attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The New York Times’ website has been disabled for the second time in under a month, with the newspaper attributing the outage to a “malicious external attack” widely thought to have come from hackers affiliated with the Syrian Electronic Army.

“Many users are having difficulty accessing the New York Times online,” the paper wrote on its Facebook page. “We are working to fix the problem. Our initial assessment is the outage is most likely the result of a malicious external attack.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Tue Aug 27 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

BRAVO ! The Commie N.Y. Times Deserved it !

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So seems this war will be fought with hackers too.

This could be a pain in the A hole!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well it didn't last very long...

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Mark Cuban's predictions are right ... more time and effort needs to be directed towards electronic protection and less to building ships or airplanes.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
wonder how they knew it was the Syrian army... seems a bit quick to be jumping to conclusions unless I'm missing something here, do they have something to tie them to this incident? or are they just guessing and pointing fingers to further their agenda against the Syrian government....??

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Giving me a 500 error right now.

The NY Times doesn't really strike me as war mongers, their reports are quite decent for a mainstream media mouthpiece.

They should take down Fox news instead lol

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Syria took down the NYtimes for 10mins.....

NSA hacked the country in 2.5mins....

Well played NSA.... Well Played....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

No kidding, huh? Maybe they could have picked a more worthwhile target?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So, for a period of time, they had as many online readers as print readers huh.

I doubt it was syria though. Think of what country in the middle east keeps trying to get us to start crap with their "enemies". Its a certain country that has some of the top computer savvy hackers in the world. It starts with an "I" ends with a "l" and has srae in the middle.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

Media wars!

But then again, it could be a random dude in his basement in Syria?

Obviously someone who resents the NY Times.

But hey, their page views will go up with the sympathty and people checking out the site, trying for access.

eee.
edit on 27/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Speeling & Grimmer?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

More than Likely it was the Dreaded " Chinese Hackers " , you know , the ones who Hack the Bestest......

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by scoobyrob

wonder how they knew it was the Syrian army... seems a bit quick to be jumping to conclusions unless I'm missing something here, do they have something to tie them to this incident?

It's not really Syria... It's hackers sympathetic to their cause.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Must depend on where you are.. Still works fine for me.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That is not what the Internet Army's do.

Immature pranks like rented botnet ddos on a random popular web site is not an attack, not from a damage perspective, its just mischief. Quite literally like a spray painted "we suck" on the side till they clean it off.

Real attacks are on services, financial records, medical facility's and other things that would cause corruption to lives or endanger them.

This is literally nothing and certainly not something from an actual force of hackers on a country wide operational scale.

just more Syrian drama smoke

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Except now you are looking, and maybe that was just the point.
A harmless act, a fist raised quietly in defiance.
But IS that the best they got?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Odd - still no response for me.

It's not just you! nytimes.com... looks down from here.

Link: here

edit on 27-8-2013 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Lol brilliant. You want to know the real secret to DDOSing a site? A coordinated release on all social networks, by many people in a short amount of time claiming that a site was hacked. Curious visitors go to see if it was true. Curious users manipulated into being a DDOS bot

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm going to need a little more than a picture claiming to be a "Syrian Electronic Army" to believe that this specific country or any of it's supporters had anything to do with this. Anybody with a certain level of skill could've hacked that site and claimed to be whoever they want. I see the demonization of Syria is in full force now. Just haven't been able to rally the country around this idea, so we're going put it right in front of their faces when they surf the internet huh?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join