It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SWAT Cop Says American Neighborhoods Are “Battlefields”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
SWAT Cop Says American Neighborhoods Are 'Battlefields,' Claims Cops Face Same Dangers As Soldiers In Afghanistan

It's always nice to get both sides of the story, especially on the charged topic of "Police Militarization." In this Huffington Post article Radley Balko author of "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces" says the following:

One of the central themes of my book is that that too many cops today have been conditioned to see the people they serve not as citizens with rights, but as an enemy.

Over the last several days, the popular online police magazine PoliceOne site has been rolling out a series of opinion pieces in response to my book. As you might expect, most of them are critical, although a couple have been thoughtful.

PoliceOne.com: Police militarization: The law enforcement perspective

The PoliceOne.com link gives us much insight into how (some of) the SWAT members view the public at large and our neighborhoods. The following is a bird's eye view into the minds of police advocating the militarization of the police.

We trainers have spent the past decade trying to ingrain in our students the concept that the American police officer works a battlefield every day he patrols his sector.

That is why commanders and tactical trainers stress the fact that even on the most uneventful portion of your tour, you can be subjected to combat at a moment’s notice.

Why shouldn’t officers utilize the same technologies, weapon systems, and tactics that our military comrades do? We should, and we will.

Battlefields? Combat? It's clear we are no longer citizens but the enemy. They will not stop on their own accord either.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Maybe we should send swat to Iraq and Afghanistan, since you know they face the same dangers...

Teach them what real war is, so they know its not what you do on american streets.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That's a good idea but they probably won't go. Easier to shoot fish in a barrel the chance return fire from similar weapons.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
That would be a SWAT cop who needs to get reassigned to meter maid patrol.

If the streets are like war zones, TWO sides are required to make a fight. HE happens to be a member of one of them and HIS side can de-escalate over time as easily as the criminal side can. HIS side chooses to escalate, year after year with more armor, bigger weapons and more liberal use of it all.

War zone he says? Only because he's a part of it.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That attitude from police will help make it a battlefield but I believe the police will regret that belief one day.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

See that's the thing Wrabbit. I've been all over the US and I haven't seen any battlefields (not counting Detroit of course.) This is just a big psyop so they can justify what they're doing. Remember how this started out in the 80's? How they had to arm up more and more to fight the dangerous drug dealers. Sure there were some but from the way they acted the Colombian Cowboys were behind ever tree.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Whaddaya expect when the CIA floods the cities with crack coc aine and the Fed tanks the economy?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What do you think will happen after DARPA perfects their robots? Not much change I would assume.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
What do you think will happen after DARPA perfects their robots? Not much change I would assume.

Good question. The number of collateral deaths and just plain executions may rise. Maybe not though. Robots don't get steroid rage or angry when someone looks them in the eye or questions them.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
And what do the gun rights advocates think about this?

Oh that's right. "We need more guns"

Cause nothing helps sort out a "Battlefield" like more weaponry.

Anyone think that this whole pro gun crowd really works for the NWO, and THIS is one of their methods for population control? "Let's try and arm everyone and see if they just take themselves out!"

But keep adding guns out there folks, see if that decreases gun violence.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Oh yeah... I remember. Always a day late and a dollar short with their 'Brilliance'. The height of the coc aine wars came in the last half of the 80's and they went George Orwell on us starting at the turn of the 90's. You're right. It's been slow cooking ever since and went to the high heat in the last few years especially.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If you haven't figured out who the enemy is on this battlefield, it is you.
Just sayin.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's astonishing the arrogance and lack of accountability afforded to the US police forces and SWAT teams. I really don't like where it is heading for the US. Seems in a few years countries may try and invade north America to bring you freedom
. Between the police and the TSA I really don't recognise the states anymore is a shame as I want to come back to visit but being treated liked a criminal at the airport just as you arrive and then dealing with power mad pigs on the street really doesnt float my boat

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

May of us know this already. I was more interested in the mindset of the police about the military weapons type escalation they are sold on. The article is pretty clear on that. If anyone reads the policeone.com articles linked in the original post it will remove all doubt. I'd prefer to read the actual statements from the horses mouth than just speculate on their ill intent.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
All of you posters who think our streets are not battlefields must not go out much.

Huh? Do you walk around alone on any city street small or large and feel safe?
Surprise, surprise you are never safe in or out of your home in this day and time.

Robberies, shootings, kidnapping of children and adults, rape, child molestation, and physcial assults just because somebody want to hurt or kill some one.

I am an average 66 year old female citizen and you can bet you arse I am always carrying at least a pistol and a knife.
I do this even when on our gated family living compound with guard dogs on patrol.

If threatened I could call 911 for help but I would be dead or hurt before they could get to me.

By the way, my son has a large Gun and Pawn shop.
He can tell anyone that the female population in Georgia is loaded with a hand gun in their expensive purses or concealed some other way on their person.

When the local police finaly get to my location they will only need to call the meat wagon and make a report on the creep I just put down.

Wake up..........................the good old days are gone.
It is not 1960 anymore.
edit on 22-8-2013 by dizziedame because: To add info.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Interesting perspective dizziedame. Your description of where you live sounds like Mad Max. Is it truly that chaotic where you are? If so then obviously the ramp up of police arsenals haven't helped you much. I'm glad to see you keep yourself armed, that's really the only way people have ever kept themselves and their families safe.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
/sarcasm mode

What, you didn't hear about the Huntington Beach Riots,
just this past July?

Suspect in Huntington Beach Riot arrested after "liking" his photo on Police's facebook page

With IQ's this low,
of course swat and militarized Police are the only solution...

And China Agrees.

.... Hey wait a minute I think the Chinese are hoping the Militarized Police will shoot each other....

The local American elders are calling for a review of the entire White Community.

In an MSNBC parody, Chris Hayes lamented the criminal element in white culture, concluding that the “white power structure in this country has no clue, no clue how to solve the problems within in the white community.” Pausing, he adds: “How long must we wait for white culture to get it together.”

Huntington Beach white Riot Jokes go viral

/end sarcasm

Mike
edit on 22-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here is a comment from the LaTimes article
by an actual local of Huntington Beach

Most of those arrested were from OUTSIDE Huntington Beach. West Covina, Anaheim, Fullerton. Most locals I know avoid the Open because there are so many 909ers that show up...and this is the result. This riot happened because out-of-towners who have no respect for local business got drunk and thought it was okay to destroy other people's property. Local HBers are very good at supporting local businesses and most know each other or know the same people. The Easyrider bike store caters to the very locals who look and dress like those rioting. No way a local would steal from there at the risk of being recognized.

Btw, this story is a parady of what most commentators sound like when commenting on riots in neighborhoods of color. It is just as ridiculous to ask Jesse Jackson about what he can do about black crime as it is to ask Hilary Clinton what to do about white crime. That was the point of the piece dummies.

Mike

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
In this ABC news story about it,
the chief of police said that the Police used great restraint.

ABC / Huntington Beach Riots, cameras catch chaos

"In order to bring this incident under control, there was limited and measured use of force by law enforcement officers including the use of pepper balls and non-lethal projectiles," said Small during a news conference Monday.

Except for the one person who went to a hospital for a rubber bullet wound,
I would say, yes. Yes they did use great restraint.

And I would want a riot shield and face plate too,
if a drunken mob of tourist were throwing bricks at me.

Mike
edit on 22-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

From this footage,
taken when the Police of Vancouver didn't know they were being filmed
one can see how much restraint the police use.

Gone are the days of the fire hose.

Not sure if this is better or worse,
but it is quicker.

Mike

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join