It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man’s Defense Against Gun Charge: ‘I Did What Joe Biden Told Me to Do’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

As long as it is not them that is ignorant to it! For example when the Katrina gun confiscation happened and the smoke cleared, they were sued by the NRA and others, they were found not responsible for the civil rights violations because "they were not aware of the existing law". LOL

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Avoid the whole problem all together,
Bait the would be burglers into your home,.
and well... just make em dissappear.
criminal off the street, and no one gets in trouble.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Avoid the whole problem all together,
Bait the would be burglers into your home,.
and well... just make em dissappear.
criminal off the street, and no one gets in trouble.

Yeah... People can do that ..or, then again..

Minnesota homeowner shot two teenagers dead in cold blood in his basement 'because he feared they had a weapon

...and it looks like that charge was raised to First degree X's 2. Maybe not so much on the baiting people in to be 'handled'.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I abide by just one simple rule and everyone should as well.

Never put your finger on the trigger unless you have a target to shoot at. Whether it be paper, milk jug, deer or someone threatening you.

This man should pay the consequences. He's an idiot because he listened to one.

I'm sure that if he annouced his presence with the shotgun in his hands they would have ran as well. And if they didn't and tried to come at it him, it would have been justifiable.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Words have meaning. Why Democrats put this gaff-machine in the White House is beyond me. It must have something to do with an ADA requirement!

This would be good precedent if this defense held up in court. I would start reading Biden speeches to see what else we can get away with.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
ya hear about these stories all the time,.
A farmer in the UK was put in jail for shooting
a couple of guys for busting into is farm to steal stuff
one of the burglers sued him

Another guy was tired of his shed being robbed of equipment
so he set up a shotgun (on his own property) to go off when
the door was opened, the burgler open the door and the blast
really messed him up but he lived, sued the owner and the owner
ended up in jail.... That is a messed up judicial system. well
of course we all know it is already, but Deal with your problems
quietly,.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Another guy was tired of his shed being robbed of equipment so he set up a shotgun (on his own property) to go off when the door was opened, the burgler open the door and the blast really messed him up but he lived, sued the owner and the owner ended up in jail....

In my state (US) we have laws that prohibit booby traps. The reasoning being a child, emergency worker, etc could become the victim.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Another guy was tired of his shed being robbed of equipment so he set up a shotgun (on his own property) to go off when the door was opened, the burgler open the door and the blast really messed him up but he lived, sued the owner and the owner ended up in jail....

In my state (US) we have laws that prohibit booby traps. The reasoning being a child, emergency worker, etc could become the victim.
I can understand what your saying, But this clearly wasnt a child or an emergency worker, the law should have understood the situation and made a lesser penalty,.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

I can understand what your saying, But this clearly wasnt a child or an emergency worker, the law should have understood the situation and made a lesser penalty,.

You're making a key point here. The LAW cant make those distinctions. I wish more people understood this. There would probably be a lot less laws floating around hovering over peoples heads like daggers if only people realized once a law is on the books it's there in full force for everyone in every situation.

A long time ago discretion and adjustments were possible. Than came zero tolerance and mandatory minimums and sentencing guidelines and all that other crap.

Folks should stop, take a deep breath and count to ten before writing or passing laws. But they dont. They rush them through on a wave of hysterics and emotions.

Takes minutes to pass a law. Takes generations to repeal one.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Keep in mind i am not talking about vigilant behavior, or finding an excuse like your link showed
just in a situation where in someone breaks into your home threatening your life, or your kids and wife,You can be damed sure the assailant is goin down and never to be heard from again.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

shooting wildly into the air is just as dangerous as shooting randomly into a house. Presenting a shotgun will tend to send thieves running to begin with, unless his life was in danger, he had no reason or right to discharge the firearm.

Biden didn't tell him to shoot wildly into the air.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So warning shot's are no longer acceptable in today's world.

Not in an urban or village setting, of course not, those bullets come back down, hell people get "shot" every new years eve because of people firing into the air.

He's got a gun, unless his life is in danger, he doesn't need to, or have the right to, discharge that firearm. Now I'd assume this would be different say in a farming town type setting where the chances of innocent bystanders being KILLED is low.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Regardless of anything Biden may have said...ignorance of the law is no excuse; this is a legal standard upheld by the SCOTUS.

Kind of an interesting point. There are millions of laws, codes and statutes, written using 10's of millions or words, which are all subject to interpretation - even once the SCOTUS has ruled on a law. Other then the gist of a few of said "laws" I don't know the legal language of any of them, nor was I officially taught them at any time in my life by those who execute the laws. Even "the right to bear arms" is subject to interpretation in any given moment, so one has to wonder about the absolute validity of "ignorance of the law is no excuse..."

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's called a ham sandwich, you take them out, put your throw away gun(ham sandwich) in there hand and pull the trigger. Cops do it all the time in the cities. It produces GSR on them. They run the ham sandwich is comes back bogus. Your just saving your family from a murdering, rapist psychopath.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by neo96

Biden told people to fire a shotgun at the door as stated in this ATS thread:
ATS ---Biden and shotgun

According to the law that is still illegal.

As it has to have a 'self defense component'.

He would still have gotten charged with 'recklessly discharging' a gun as can't see behind a door so no 'verifiable' threat;

As they see it.

I agree, Biden gave some really stupid advice and someone took him up on it, it was just a matter of time. Where I live, the cops tell ya if you have to shoot someone on your property, never shoot them in the back (they are in retreat mode then, no longer a threat), and if possible drag their body into your house and say they were making you fear for your life.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Are you seriously suggesting that unloading a firearm blindly into the air in a residential area should go unpunished? You are aware that the bullets don't make it into orbit, right? Don't you realize that when they come back down they can still kill?

Maybe warning shots were necessary. I'm not questioning that, and frankly I don't care either way. But Jesus H. Christ, use your head when firing them.

Facepalming so hard.

edit on 18-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

Yeah face palm indeed try looking up terminal velocity.

Oh and we are talking about a SHOTGUN here.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
“You know, they make fun of my saying about use a shotgun if someone’s invading your home – guess what, use a shotgun on someone invading your home and you don’t kill your kids – use an AR-15, it goes through your wall and it can kill your kid in the bedroom” ~ Biden

Lots of Facepalm, hey?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Yeah face palm indeed try looking up terminal velocity.

Oh and we are talking about a SHOTGUN here.

Bullets fired STRAIGHT (at a 90 degree angle to the ground) into the air usually fall back at terminal velocity, speeds much lower than those at which they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down. Bullets fired other than exactly vertical are more dangerous, as the bullet maintains its angular ballistic trajectory, is far less likely to engage in tumbling motion, and so travels at a speed much higher than its terminal velocity would be in a purely vertical fall. A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 80% of celebratory gunfire-related injuries are to the head, feet, and shoulders.[4] In Puerto Rico, about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says.[5] Between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. Thirty-eight of them died.[6] Kuwaitis celebrating in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.[6]

Bullets fall as speeds greater than what terminal velocity for a number of reasons. (unless you shoot them 90 degrees into the air)

Celebratory Gunfire

Oh, right. I forgot about the "but it was a shotgun" exception.
Your posts always fail, Neo. Hard.
edit on 18-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Care to give me some actual facts on the Odds of getting killed by a falling bullet, compared to car accidents, or anything else that can kill or be used in killing?

Thanks.

<< 1    3 >>

join