It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Spirit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I am putting this thread in the metaphysics subforum because I am more inclined to hear the New Age theories on what is the Holy Spirit but Christians and any other followers of other religions are welcome to give their opinion as well.

So do you think Holy Spirit could be law of attraction or the subconscious mind?Then what could blasphemy agaisnt the Holy Spirit could mean?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumSeeker
I am putting this thread in the metaphysics subforum because I am more inclined to hear the New Age theories on what is the Holy Spirit but Christians and any other followers of other religions are welcome to give their opinion as well.

So do you think Holy Spirit could be law of attraction or the subconscious mind?Then what could blasphemy agaisnt the Holy Spirit could mean?

This moment is made of nothing (spirit) - this moment is whole - it is not divided.
It seems to be divided with ideas of past and future and that is denying this moment which is the immaculate conception - it is non dual (one). This moment has not been divided into any thing until the words appear to do so.

There is nothing but this moment of presence.
All else is imagined, time is imagined.
This moment only appears to exist.
edit on 7-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The Holy Spirit is what gives everything life, the thing that allows you to see and perceive. Every living thing has the Spirit within it, no exceptions.

The Holy Spirit is sometimes called the Light. The Light is your image, what your eyes see.

Matt 6
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

The single eye is your image, the Light that makes the things around you visible. If you focus on the shape of your image, you will see that is in the shape of an eye. This "single eye" is sometimes called the "third eye". It is your spiritual "body" so to say and it is full of light.

Blaspheming against the Spirit is believing that it doesn't exist or that only a few have it. Little do Christians know that by claiming only a few have it, they are blaspheming it.
edit on 7-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
From the conversations I had with others over the years, I think that the best explanation I have heard is that the Holy Spirit is "the spirit of god that resides in a person". That translates to "the good in a person" The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the holy ghost..... never cut down the good a person does ....If you do than you will start experiencing a rapid decline in your life. I kind of accept this as truth because most people who cut down the good deeds of others seem to struggle in life and they seem to lose everything they have.

Even the Devil has rules that must be observed.

edit on 7-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

The Holy Spirit is what Jesus said it was and ONLY what Jesus said it was.

The Holy Spirit is not something everyone was born with nor everything everyone wants it to be.

John 14:26

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Bible verses describing the Holy Spirit..

www.openbible.info...

What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit...

carm.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Spirit is life. Holy spirit is holy life. So the question is, what is holy?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Biblically, "holy" means "belonging to God".
The question was answered by Paul;
"For what person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of a man that is in him. So also no-one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."- 1 Corinthians ch2 v11
I know the OP preferred a New Age answer, but since the Holy Spirit is a Biblical concept, the only information available is going to be from the Bible.
If the New Age abduct the label for their own use, they can make of it what they like.

edit on 8-7-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

The question was answered by Paul;
"For what person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of a man that is in him. So also no-one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."- 1 Corinthians ch2 v11
I know the OP preferred a New Age answer, but since the Holy Spirit is a Biblical concept, the only information available is going to be from the Bible.
If the New Age abduct the label for their own use, they can make of it what they like.

If the holy spirit is real, then its more than just a concept, and not limited to one religious book to have its description.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

If a man invents a word, he's the prime authority on what the word means. You can't argue with him.
Similarly, if there's a term which originates in the Bible, you have to rely on the Bible to know what it means.
That applies to the word "antichrist", for example, and it applies to the phrase "Holy Spirit".

The Holy Spirit is real, and more than a concept, if, and only if, what the Bible says about the Holy Spirit is true.
There are two logical possibilities.
What the Bible says about the Holy Spirit is either true, or false.
If what the Bible says is true, then the Holy Spirit is as descibed in the passage I quoted.
If what the Bible says is not true, then you have no rational reason to think that the Holy Spirit exists at all.

As I said before, there is no information on the Holy Spirit at all, outside the Biblical context.
The Holy Spirit is not part of other religions, so they can have nothing to say about him.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

The Father + Jesus = The Holy Spirit

If you blaspheme the Father, the Son will forgive you, and if you blaspheme the Son, the Father will forgive you, but there can be no forgiveness, for blaspheming the Holy Spirit…

- JC

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Holy, as in the Hebrew version of the Old Testament, is kodesh, which comes from the word in Canaanite mythology for the sons of El and Astarte, YHWH being one of the 70 in this pantheon of gods.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

If the holy spirit is real, then its more than just a concept, and not limited to one religious book to have its description.

That's not what the Bible says. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit only bears witness to Jesus and the Father, the Holy Trinity. It is not a spirit that is separate from them.

edit on 8-7-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Consulting my Hebrew lexicon, I see that KODESH comes from a root which means "to separate, set apart for God".
The New Testament references use the Greek word HAGIOS, which similarly means "separated from common use, dedicated, consecrated".

If making something "holy" means setting it aside for God or attaching it to God, then by extension God himself can be called "holy".
He is the one who is set apart from the rest of us.
I think "kodesh", as applied to the gods of Canaan, will have been a description or title rather than a name; they are being called "the Holy Ones", on the basis that holiness is a quailty which belongs to a god or gods and the things associated with them.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Consulting my Hebrew lexicon, I see that KODESH comes from a root which means "to separate, set apart for God".
That is probably the definition that is based on its usage. The earlier "root" could have been one adopted in very ancient times from mythology, where a lot of old words come from in various languages, Greek being a good example of that.

The New Testament references use the Greek word HAGIOS, which similarly means "separated from common use, dedicated, consecrated".
Which may also have come from a mythological term way back in a unremembered past time.

If making something "holy" means setting it aside for God or attaching it to God, then by extension God himself can be called "holy".
What I might do with that bit of information in my earlier post would be to think that in the minds of the earliest Hebrews, their god was holy by virtue of being part of the pantheon of gods, the inner circle of gods, the ones directly born from the highest god.

He is the one who is set apart from the rest of us.
I think the idea was that YHWH is set apart from the lesser gods, the ones not part of the inner circle of the supreme deity.

I think "kodesh", as applied to the gods of Canaan, will have been a description or title rather than a name; they are being called "the Holy Ones", on the basis that holiness is a quality which belongs to a god or gods and the things associated with them.
I would reverse the order of how one thing came from the other.

I should cite my source for this bit of info that I was giving earlier:
Zechariah 9-14 and Malachi (Old Testament Library), by David L. Petersen
pages 198-201

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Concerning the holy spirit vs. the Holy Spirit, I wrote something about this back in April in the "Jesus is God" thread, while discussing this with Akragon, who usually is not much into the trinity thing.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jesus addressed Him as a person.
There seems to be two different usages of those two words in combination, "holy" and "spirit", that doesn't come out in the English translation. Sometimes it is holy spirit, and sometimes it is reversed as, spirit holy. In the English, it always comes out, holy spirit. It is the difference of which word is being emphasised that determines the order.
When people are being filled, it is a spirit that happens to be holy, not, the Holy Spirit.
So I was just quoting myself above. I spent some considerable amount of time hunting that post down, probably hoping that I went into more detail than that. I should actually make a list with two groups of verses, separated by which order the words holy and spirit occur, to illustrate how it does seem to work out, that one way it means a person, and the other way it means a spirit that can enter into us. I just did it in my head before making that earlier post, rather than actually making a physical list.
edit on 8-7-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Even on your line of argument;
If KADESH is the name of a deity or deities, then describing a spirit as KADESH involves associating it with that deity.
In other words, "belonging to God" is just as good a paraphrase on your theory as it is on mine.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

In other words, "belonging to God" is just as good a paraphrase on your theory as it is on mine.
Depends on what you have "belong" meaning.
If it is something that is a piece of property that is owned by God, or if it means belonging to, or a member of, the 'God' family, or godhead.
This is what I was trying to get at in my last post, how if you look at the Greek in the verses that mention "holy spirit", you can see two different ways of describing it, which I think corresponds with my above sentence.
edit on 8-7-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Spirit is life.God breathed(which is the verb of spirit)spirit into a physical body and it was a living soul .Man does not have a soul..man is a living soul when physically alive and is "dead" when it dies. God IS spirit not "a" spirit.The holy spirit is not a "person" it is not the 3rd person of the trinity "godhead".It IS God..life.It(life) is Holy..separated unto all things that live like..mankind.God has breathed spirit into everything.This is where the analogy(because spirit can only be expressed in metaphor) breaks down.God is one and is not separated.That is what Yahoshua meant when he said that they(the disciples) would be One as I and The Father are One..one spirit of Life..communion.
Holy spirit is the life God imparts onto man to be in communion with God.Man's spirit is dead (asleep) in hades(the realm of imperception) which is in the valley of the shadow of death..the physical realm.In the scriptures Yahoshua called this new life being born anew.However it is not a culminating event like a physical birth even though it is similar in that it's a process and after the coming out of the womb there is still more "life" processes.
In essence the Holy spirit is the new life God breathes into a man.The new agers would call it the awakening..and they are partly right and very wrong because they have prerequisites to "do"... and of course ascension into Godhood is 100% incorrect. AND of course being born anew is not what christians believe it is either.The general consensus of their theology is they "accept" his forgiveness by saying a prayer and many other religious acts that have nothing to do with being born anew.Being born anew is ALL caused 100% by God..zero religion.

Blasphemy against the holy spirit is to "believe"that God is not One in Spirit that this "new" Life is not given to ALL men.The verses before he says what this blaspheme is.He told a parable of how Satan cannot "cast" out Satan or his house will be "divided" and would not stand.He was saying God cannot be 100% benevolent(love) to mankind then curse them to Hell.They don't harmonize.God is not God and Satan the adversary.Yet this is exactly what billions believe.
God is LIFE.There is NO death in him.Man is in the "valley" of the "shadow" of death..hades..the realm of imperception where the spirit of man cannot perceive God(spirit) at all.Yes God(spirit) is what is causing man to "live" in a body as soul but that body will die.It is in the valley of the shadow of death asleep..however it will be awakened.In the scriptures that is called resurrection.The vast majority awake AFTER they cross over the river Jordan( metaphor for physical death) into the promised land.Yes ALL will enter into the promised "land"...which is the body that cannot die because it is LIFE...spirit.
Yahoshua is saying it is blaspheme to "believe" God causes death (the eternal punishment of hell) to some and is not the spirit of Life that saves (Yahoshua which means..God IS salvation)Yet that is Gods whole purpose There is no death In him.He is only life.Mans perception of death is corrupted because of being In the valley of the shadow of death.
The translation of those words in scripture of the blaspheme of the holy spirit are the religious agenda..the doctrines of religious carnal mind and are taught as a prime proof for HELL..yet is is the prime evidence against hell.The religious mind is blind to the truth.The hell believers have been trapped by their own petard of flames.Out of the their mouth comes what is in the heart (spirit) DEATH..sin..imperfection.They can't be "healed"(forgiven) in this age(the translation of the word aion is world and eternal).
Yahoshua is saying those that blaspheme the holy spirit (Life) will not be healed of their imperfection in this age or the one to come.They will be judged (corrected) in The Lake of Fire.It is NOT a literal fire.ALL of Revelation is symbolic.It is where they will be tormented which the root word is touchstone..which is how gold is "tested" for purity.It is a process.The hell believers are right in one sense.God is a just..but NOT how they suppose..by sentencing "sinners" to eternal hell but by "cleansing" blasphemers who believe in hell and the multitude of false doctrines of religion which they believe is GOD.
Yes God is just,however hell has zero justice in it.There is no redemptive value at all only infinite suffering and torture.God is tempering blasphemers so he can give them life.As is they have their fists clutched around hell and it's religious doctrines and won't let go.They "believe" in doctrines of God.That is why they refer to God as "the Bible says".They don't know God.
The bottom line is No One can ever "know" God through a book or doctrines.The "bible" they worship is not the word of God they "believe" it is.That is their only defense of what they "believe".It is a circular argument with no resolution..blah blah blah.They are ever searching and never able to come to know the Truth...Life
edit on 8-7-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

Blasphemy against the holy spirit is to "believe"that God is not One in Spirit that this "new" Life is not given to ALL men.The verses before he says what this blaspheme is.He told a parable of how Satan cannot "cast" out Satan or his house will be "divided" and would not stand.He was saying God cannot be 100% benevolent(love) to mankind then curse them to Hell.They don't harmonize.God is not God and Satan the adversary.Yet this is exactly what billions believe.

Think about what you're saying.

When Jesus said that Satan could not cast out Satan, he was saying that evil can not cast out evil.

If God's spirit was already given to "ALL" men, as you say, there would be no need to cast out evil, now would there?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

The bible also says that God is Spirit. Everyone is born with a spirit aren't they? If they aren't born with God's Spirit, then whose spirit are they born with?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join