It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
why dont they just call it pilates and stop all the arguing

link   
reply to post by Logarock

Or mythology, perhaps.

link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

What religion or god does meditation lead to?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Sure you can allow spirituality, soon as man made books and stories come into play, its out the door!

But why? Why be Religiophobe about it? There are a lot of wonderful man made books and stories. Ever read Rumi?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

A good re-phrasing for Religionophobes.

Well when being practiced in the secular environment of a hospital, these semantics are sometimes necessary. No one is forced into taking the course.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Well when being practiced in the secular environment of a hospital, these semantics are sometimes necessary. No one is forced into taking the course.

Sure...I appreciate that, even though I do think people are being way too sensitive.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

What religion or god does meditation lead to?

The goal of Meditation is to reach the Ultimate.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yes but no one believes in them, soon as books is done reading it is done... No ones make their lives around it, and sometimes, try force others people to live by it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Ultimate would be?

*this is where a religious person and non religious person differentiate*

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

This just proves to me even more all of this is really an attack on Christianity and not a general separation of church and state issue.

This is accurate. Its Christianophobia because that happens to be the most popular Religion in the U.S.A.

I do know a few atheists who actually like Buddhism and Yoga because they think its without a God. But both Eastern Religions are still highly supernatural, even if they pretend its not.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ultimate would be?

*this is where a religious person and non religious person differentiate*

*Drumroll*

Thats up to you to define for yourself...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

atheism->agnosticism-->theistic philosophy-->deism-->theism

lol, kind of the proverbial middle road of Buddhism there.

I like this spectrum. Looks about right to me.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I understand Yoga's roots are in religion but can it not be separated successfully?

I have never been "Stretchy" enough myself to indulge in it personally

I think it can, if you call it "deep breathing relaxation stretches/exercises" And focus on pure physical flexibility and strength.

It is what goes on in the mind that makes Yoga religious. I absolutely think the physical aspects of Yoga could be seperated if it was taught as purely physical. That would make it no longer Yoga, because in Yoga it is the mind which is receiving the experience brought about through physical techniques. If it is physical techniques for physical gain it is not a violation of church in state. However, if the instructor is teaching the spiritual side (mind) of Yoga, it absolutely would be a violation.

Make it not Yoga by removing the mind dicipline, and call it what is now is "deep breathing relaxation stretches/exercises".

In my opinion there is a right way to handle this, where it benefits the childs health without infriging on the parents faith they want their child brought up in.

God Bless,

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ange7Heart

I honestly don't see a problem though, praying and meditation are virtually the same.

I agree. Its a silencing and looking within. And its valuable for human development.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Sure...I appreciate that, even though I do think people are being way too sensitive.

The idea is to teach these practices in a secular environment without bringing the religious baggage with them. Some people are put off by anything overtly religious, some are religious and are put off practising techniques which could be considered against their own religion. People are sensitive, hence the semantics.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34

But people who take religion seriously do worry about it. Here's an article on an Islamic perspective on yoga. They conclude that it should not be practiced by Muslims. I think it's an interesting article whether or not you agree with the Islamic point of view. They do a nice job of showing the religious practices that are part of even 'secular' yoga (and how they conflict with the Islamic perspective of course).
edit on 2-7-2013 by 11andrew34 because: typo

Goodness...how are these schools going to accomodate muslim children then?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What about Kung Fu?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The idea is to teach these practices in a secular environment without bringing the religious baggage with them. Some people are put off by anything overtly religious, some are religious and are put off practising techniques which could be considered against their own religion. People are sensitive, hence the semantics.

At the end of the day its a good approach.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What about Kung Fu?

Good point. Kung Fu is also interwined with Religion, but much less than Yoga...so it can MUCH more easily be sold as a secular practice.

I do have issues with selling Yoga as a secular practice that "has nothing to do with Religion" though.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

Calmness of mind is now religion? clarity is religion?

There is no "Mind" Yoga, all the yoga that is practiced in the west is purely physical , but all exercise affect the mind ultimately, just like going to gym or smiling and being happy makes you feel good.

Im not sure how calming the mind, looking for mental clarity or being stress free is religious!

there is no god mentioned in Yoga or any mantra. Thats the main reason when whoever brought Yoga to the west watered it down so all the mantra and religious aspects are removed. i highly doubt most Yoga instructors have any clue on the mantras and tradition of real yoga.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join