It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to simply dislike homosexual behavior without being labeled a homophobe?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

They should be told that the lisp is a speech impediment, it does not make one more attractive. Anymore than those retarded chicks that think its cute to make squeeze toy sounds when they sneeze .

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Any time you make a value statement like 'I hate black people who break into my house' you're hinging ethnicity to that action - that's a racist comment.

Someone who wasn't making a racist comment might have simply said 'I hate PEOPLE (or THAT person) who broke into my house' while knowing the color of the perpetrator's skin is irrelevant.

It's facinating to me you don't see how negatively associating their ethnicity to their actions is racist. You could hinge all sorts of things to their actions like the marriad of factors that make up an individual's socioeconomic status but you stop at the color of their skin... Kind of blows my mind.

Anyway, I know as well as the next ATS poster no amount of arguing will change anyone's mind. I'd just like to point out the harmful affects of stereotypes. Whether we're talking about race or gender identity or any other topic. Stereotypes fuel misconception.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I agree with the OP, its very annoying and frustrating when people label you a homophobe when your not.

Could you imagine a hetrosexual (such as myself) acting like that in public? People would hate me and call me obnoxious and irritating with a personality disorder.

Its like SPAM! Unwanted, unnecessary, always getting in the way...wish I could delete it just like spam! Though I can send it to the junk folder and add the sender to my ignore list; oddly enough we can not do this in a social environment. I have gay friends and they also agree with the OP as the OP is my thoughts exactly.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It's possible to be heterosexual. It's possibel to not be attracted to homesexual activity. It's posible to not like another person. If you do not like another person simply because that other person is homosexual, you ar homophobic.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would say no, it does not make you a "homophobe". I HATE over-the-top, poop-flinging male behavior. It drives me insane to hear men go on and on about tits and ass, check out every woman who walks by (sometimes even giving them a score), and talking about all of their "conquests". I can't stand when they basically compare dick sizes in the form of conversation where each has to one-up the previous.

I also HATE over-the-top obnoxious women. Acting stupid as a way to gain attention from men, giggling, carrying on, etc. Babbling about makeup and superficial crap, playing with their hair constantly. "Like..." being thrown in as every other word.

Behavior can be completely obnoxious and stir an extremely annoyed feeling from *anyone*. It's the behavior, not the person. From what I read of your post, you do not dislike gay people. You dislike annoying behavior. Personally, I would have made a comment about an obnoxious group of guys acting in ways that resembled gorillas...just as I probably would have made a comment about an obnoxious group of women who were being loud. That would just make me an outspoken asshole, not as a 'phobe of any kind.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by archetype_one

Any time you make a value statement like 'I hate black people who break into my house' you're hinging ethnicity to that action - that's a racist comment.

Classic liberal BS, im racist because a black guy breaks into my house.

Someone who wasn't making a racist comment might have simply said 'I hate PEOPLE (or THAT person) who broke into my house' while knowing the color of the perpetrator's skin is irrelevant.

No no no, its just liberal BS. You saw the word "black" that was mentioned in some context other that "i love" or "i have a friend" and it set off the thought crime alarm in your head. I don't like black people who break into my house, get over it.

It's facinating to me you don't see how negatively associating their ethnicity to their actions is racist. You could hinge all sorts of things to their actions like the marriad of factors that make up an individual's socioeconomic status but you stop at the color of their skin... Kind of blows my mind.

You are just hung up on it because of the PC brainwashing you have received, you are taking what i said and are reading what you want to see. I did not say anything about all black people nor did i say he broke into my house because he was black.

Anyway, I know as well as the next ATS poster no amount of arguing will change anyone's mind. I'd just like to point out the harmful affects of stereotypes. Whether we're talking about race or gender identity or any other topic. Stereotypes fuel misconception.

There is no sterotypes here...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's all par for the course for someone that likes to label people to be able to actually label you. If you don't like a few homosexuals, then you're labeled a homophobe, if you don't like a few people of a different skin color, you're labeled a racist. And, my favorite, if you just don't like something in general, then you're labeled a hater.

IMO - The world has become so label minded, that common opinions are not accepted anymore.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

I gladly wear my badge of being a racist homophobe proudly. Im not actually racist or homophobic im just really honest with people. I have told many bad racist and gay jokes and i even use racial slurs all the time. My friends and i call each other a name for homosexuals constantly. The thing is, im not going to lie about it and claim that i don't which is what 99% of other people do. Im an honest man and that is why im a a homophobic racist.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

There is a difference between telling jokes and actually treating people as inferiors based on petty differences. It's really a mind state, but what really matters are your actions.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

There is a difference between telling jokes and actually treating people as inferiors based on petty differences.

To sane rational people there is a difference between telling a hilarious black joke and committing a hate crime, you are very correct. But when it comes to politically correct hipsters trying to one-up each other on who is more tolerant there is no difference. To these people not having ever performed oral sex on a man pretty much makes you homophobic.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Yep, some quick kissing is fine, in public, but whether gay or straight, I don't want to see a couple completely making out in public, unless that is kind of fitting the setting (and very few such situations there!).... Save it for privacy. Likewise, fine, be gay, but you don't have to scream it in my face and eyes by being as flamboyant as a Vegas showgirl either. (unless you're hot lesbians...then you have a pass...)

Yep, I agree with you. Love, and/or sex should be private. Whatever each person's sexual lifestyle of choice is, should be private.

People's sexual preference shouldn't be used to either fire, or hire people. Just like I disagree completely with the "sexual education" that is being instilled in children lately in certain public schools.

These are private matters, that neither governments or other individuals should use, nor exploit for any sort of agenda. Yet the opposite is happening.

edit on 2-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Not sure why but the whole sex ed thing was supposed to just teach kids about reproduction and puberty, what their bodies are going through and why. Somewhere along the lines it got turned into education about sex its self and sexual preference. Straight couples do anal too but it really does not have a place inside the sex ed class.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'm not a homophobe. I am not scared of gay guys, I am scared that I may hit one if he tries to hustle me and grabs my butt though. I don't want to be sitting down at the police station just because some guy tried to hustle me. Straight people have rights not to be hustled by gays.

I like commenting on these troll filled threads sometimes, you get responses

Good for you. How about straight men, that hustle women? Yeah, if we turn the tables suddenly we are forced to acknowledge that heterosexual men behave very aggressively sexually towards women.

"Straight people have rights not to be hustled by straight men."

Who do you think "hustles" the most?

Straight men to ladies,
or Gay men to straight men?

edit on 2-7-2013 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
If you're just grossed out by anal sex, you're a homophobe according to the modern world.

My understanding is that heterosexuals engage in anal sexual activity- it's actually a common component of the landscape of their sexual behavior. I would say that if you are heterosexual and you dislike "anal" sexual activity, then you are not a homophobe. You are not a heterophobe either.

You simply dislike said sexual practices.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
Funny story, while out with friends, a group of men were on line for the theater just in front of us. Some of them were very flamboyant. What's flamboyant? Loud, sexually suggestive remarks every two seconds, feminine clothing, mannerisms (swishing in and out of line) even smells, I could go on, but there was just no mistake, they were advertising and putting on a show and being especially vocal about how if people didn't like it, they're just repressed.

I made a remark to my friends that I didn't like those kind of people. I was immediately accused of being a homophobe. This despite never having talked about the subject to them in our entire time knowing each other. The funny part was that while we were discussing it, the guys we were talking about picked up on it and confronted us, I unashamedly explained why I didn't like it, and to my surprise, one of their group said he didn't like it either and actually defended me, while others from both groups started in on the why I'm such a bad man.

By the time we were allowed in, we were all getting along and talking with each other just fine. Why? because I explained that ANY man acting that way would be annoying to me, whether they were gay or not. Same holds true for other groups, it's the BEHAVIOR most people dislike, not the person's sexual preference, race etc.

So am I a homophobe?

Hi there Paschar0..
I would like to ask you a question.. Would you mind telling me what movie you had gone to see,
that evening when you encountered this flamboyant bunch while standing in line at the theater?
(Movie theater, I'm assuming?). I'll be waiting for your response, thanks,

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

I think so. There are plenty of activities that all kinds of people partake in that others don't approve of yet don't discriminate against them for it.

I mean, I dislike flamboyancy from gay people and straight people equally. My sister is rather flamboyant. She isn't gay but sometimes her flamboyancy is just too much for me. But there are several other things about her that make me lover her despite all that. I've also watched straight couples go to town on each other in public and I find it particularly annoying and disrespectful of other people. That doesn't mean I hate straight people.

The issues comes when you chose to judge someone based solely on a characteristic they have. Most people have family and friends that portray characteristics that they don't tolerate well or perform actions/activities that they disagree with but still love and respect them regardless.

Another example, there are some straight couples that have bizarre sexual practices (according to others), but they still have plenty of friends and family that love them. Of course, they probably don't talk about it or display it in front of them and I assume their friends and family wouldn't appreciate it if they did.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Yeah, but sexual education also encompasses safe sex as it is a matter of public health. I believe it makes sense to also teach kids about safe anal sex. Now that I've typed that out, I'm not sure I mean for it to actually be applied in a practical sense!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tony9802

It was magic mike

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
No not at all.

I don't not not accept homosexuals in their sexual preference.

Gay people can be flamboyant whores just as much as straight people can be.

And I do not like either.

A round of beers go out to all sensible straight people and gay people who have sensibility, and class!

Sorry, but im interested. What is a straight male flamboyant whore?

What I am talking about is when both gay and straight people flaunt their sexuality obnoxiously and spread it around.

That is called being a whore whether you are male or female, gay or straight!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RothchildRancor

Yeah, that is just a low class thing, wouldn't really call it flamboyant.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join