It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inevitable Ego Death

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Many people in this age seem to worry about this idea of "ego death" as if its something that must happen immediately...

Im not saying this is a bad thing...but one must realise there will be a point in most peoples lives where their ego... and everything they believe they are will fade away...

This is not something that should be feared... only realised and understood.

We come here with nothing... and leave the same way...

Im just rambling I guess... I see this almost every day...
edit on 28-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It's interesting how perspectives changes and ego's evolve as one grows older. When we are young are ego's are always in the way, as we hit young adult hood the ego is present but not as strong as it was when we were young. As a adult we see more than when we did before, why? Situations temper the ego and shatter that which is fake and realization of what matters most starts to take over? Possible and I would believe so...

Maybe that's why talking to the oldies is so much fun, the perspective they give with no Ego attached is very comical. Just don't piss them off or they'll cut you with words.

Just rambling Akragon~ Good post!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Many people in this age seem to worry about this idea of "ego death" as if its something that must happen immediately...

ahh, it's 'cause they're losers, they hate to see anybody else gettin' anywhere.

Im not saying this is a bad thing...but one must realise there will be a point in most peoples lives where their ego... and everything they believe they are will fade away...

for that to happen their current beliefs will be replaced by somethin' else, and then they'll get all ego-tisticle about that.

This is not something that should be feared... only realised and understood.

yup, like the crabs escaping the cooking pot are drawn back in by the other crabs, you'll get attacked for your newfound beliefs.
...just gotta deal with it.

We come here with nothing... and leave the same way...

we did too come here with somethin', i've got, i've got uhhm...
ohh, i've got nothin'...

Im just rambling I guess... I see this almost every day...

posts and threads about ego always come across as the ramblings of imbiciles, and to tell you the truth, i don't really know what 'ego' is.
...maybe i should wikipedia it.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Can I assume you're about 19?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I somehow highly doubt that the way I act right now, will ever fade. It's who I am, when I pass on from this life, you damn well better believe I'm going to be my sarcastic self even in another form of being. Why? Because it's who I am, who I am will never change unless I change it. My energy vibrates this way, and unless I will it doesn't vibrate any other way, it's what makes us special, not just humans, but all life everywhere.

of course this is my opinion, one I'll never let go of, even when I die, since I'm even more powerful when I'm not in this physical body, you all are, you're not limited then.

Think of this world as a playpen for experiences, you couldn't get out even if you wanted to unless of course you cheat.

Our ego is what makes us different from one another, it's what drives us, as well as guides us, it's who we are and without it you might as well be a rock or a smartphone.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Make sure you remember reading this thread when you're body fails...

Its only a matter of time bro

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Of course, it is their "ego" that tells them this. Interesting paradox.

edit on 28-6-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: Like it didn't even happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Let's put it this way, each and every one of us lives on this same planet, we look generally the same minus small differences, we breathe the same, eat the same plant and animal based foods, and other various identical things, Yet we all live different lives.

Why would we all live different lives, with different " experiences " with different " choices " taken, but constantly being challenged by our personal weaknesses more than our personal strengths yet we all have the same basic parts and thoughts to begin with?

Basically why do we have personalities, even our own thoughts?

Well what have you been doing since you were born? You've been learning, why would it be such a stretch to think micro and macro with that and say our lives are meant for the same purpose? To learn to improve upon ourselves. To improve our personal weaknesses via our personal strengths, of course this is my opinion but one that makes more sense in the form of not wasting than the concept of this is a one trip flip.

Nature doesn't waste, if we are here, we are here for a reason!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

I think you're missing my point here...

And i'm far too tired at the moment to explain it... Like I've said, I was just babbling on...

Read this... you might understand where im coming from

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

yup, 19 dollars, that's what i got in my wallet.

as far as this ego death mantra goes...
one cannot remove anything from one's island of awareness,
one can only strive to put things in their proper order.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

Originally posted by Akragon

yup, 19 dollars, that's what i got in my wallet.

as far as this ego death mantra goes...
one cannot remove anything from one's island of awareness,
one can only strive to put things in their proper order.

you wanna bet?

Please refer to the above post...

G'night all...

edit on 28-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It is said, for most people on this Planet, the moment of Full enlightenment and the moment of Death happen simultaneously.
edit on 28-6-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There is no such death. The ego is part of you that must be transformed or overcome. The better job we do in overcoming then the more peaceful future for ourselves and mankind. There is no need to kill.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
If ego death means that you just don't give a half a sh*t about much of anything and don't care if anyone knows it or not, then I passed into that secret handshake club some years ago. I'd elaborate, but seriously, I just don't care if anyone understands any of this.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ego death isnt anything to be feared. It is just the birth of a new perception. Right now, we perceive the world as self within the world. The death of the ego is the new perception generating around the idea as the world within self. This might not seem like a drastic notion of change, but once the mind wraps itself around this new perception, new ways of thinking and new innovations of the mind will occur. This is not an instant process, it will take time and even now some people have already adopted these new principles. A simple switching of perception can cause drastic changes in ones reality. We're aren't killing the ego, just simply relocating the position of the mind.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

To 1 Akragon, you replace that energy with a more potential energy that assist in spiritual growth. IF not replaced it EGO then weighs spirits in a level until detached from it and at that point a more ballast spiritual energy replaces it...

NAMASTE*******
edit on 6/28/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
ego death is only a temporary disconnect, at best. it's not something you reach and then stay there. you always come back.

it's like running around a statue with a hammer and chisel and chipping away at different parts, here and there, to help render a final sculpture. a masterpiece.

our inner spirit, over time, shapes our outward manifestation...whether we like it or not.

most people will only experience very subtle ego deaths, thankfully. the intense, in your face ego deaths...those can be a bit traumatic.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Interesting topic Akragon, S+F for making a good topic of discussion

I don't feel the worry you mention to kill my ego. Mine is intact for a reason I think, but I do feel the pressure around me lately. I have read some Buddhist and Taoist writings that talk about knowing what energy is "you" and what is an outside force (albeit natural, etc) and simply accepting that which is you. Like being a passive recipient to ideas that may or may not be from you, yet they originate there?

I feel pressure to either be incredible or get out of the way when I'm around other developed egos, mostly just to get out of the way. I tend to attract the types that end up resenting me or not because they misinterpret my speaking my mind to having an inflated ego. I am merely I, and nobody else or no master or party to ruling over others, just simply I (aka "me"). In fact just 2 minutes ago "I" got in the biggest argument ever with my "ego challenged" room mate, this has just lately started to make sense to me, and I'm happy about this, even though he's in the other room still angry at me.

I'm a terrible spiritualist, honestly. I'm a moody artist who actually gets over things fast, and all that's changing the more I change my mind.

Back directly to topic, I agree with another poster who thinks losing ego is only momentary, how can you not agree? someone without any form of ego would not know the concept of "I" and look into a mirror confused and puzzled every time, EVERY time!, I would choose a balance of ID, ego and superego honestly... since I'm not sure my boat would float without all 3 in this particular reality, and my personality would not appear genuine without the struggle of the three, possibly.

but in another reality... i can only imagine, and sometimes do!

edit on 28-6-2013 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Rednecks last words ?

Watch this !

Ego death

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
I somehow highly doubt that the way I act right now, will ever fade. It's who I am, when I pass on from this life, you damn well better believe I'm going to be my sarcastic self even in another form of being. Why? Because it's who I am, who I am will never change unless I change it. My energy vibrates this way, and unless I will it doesn't vibrate any other way, it's what makes us special, not just humans, but all life everywhere.

of course this is my opinion, one I'll never let go of, even when I die, since I'm even more powerful when I'm not in this physical body, you all are, you're not limited then.

Think of this world as a playpen for experiences, you couldn't get out even if you wanted to unless of course you cheat.

Our ego is what makes us different from one another, it's what drives us, as well as guides us, it's who we are and without it you might as well be a rock or a smartphone.

When you say you are who you are, I think you'd be surprised at how much external influence 'you' have. You don't naturally act a certain way from day 1. Whether you realize or not other peoples decisions mold who you are just as much as your own. The Ego likes to play tricks like that, which causes inflated egos.

While I agree that the ego is essential, I don't think you have as much control as you think you do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join