It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had to execute an animal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So instead of shooting the poor animal you gave it a mexican style beheading?? regardless you did the right thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I know just how you feel.

About a year ago I set up some mousetraps (the conventional kind) to deal with an infestation in our basement. One mouse was trapped such that his snout was crushed, but he was still alive. I knew that I couldn't leave it in this state of suffering and my only option was to end it all with a hammer.

Let me tell you, it was an agonizing experience and I felt lousy about it the rest of that day. You'd think that the simple fact that it was a pest that I was trying to eradicate would have made the task easier, but it didn't. Silly as it sounds, I recall making an apology to the mouse before I carried out my euthanasia.

I would never feel this way swatting a fly or mosquito. What quality to we attribute to certain creatures that we can kill some with guilt-free abandon, while others leave us rattled in the way you have just experienced?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceCowboy21

So instead of shooting the poor animal

Everybody doesn't have a gun. Despite what most in the world think, every American isn't armed. In fact, out of my close friends, I can think of only one other who has firearms (and he's an LEO)... (Law Enforcement Officer).

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by SpaceCowboy21

So instead of shooting the poor animal

Everybody doesn't have a gun. Despite what most in the world think, every American isn't armed. In fact, out of my close friends, I can think of only one other who has firearms (and he's an LEO)... (Law Enforcement Officer).

And I continue to learn... what state are you in? It was my outsider assumption that more of you guys had guns than not. Funny what impression the media can give us eh?!

P.S.. sorry for the slight digression, i promise I won't continue!
edit on 21-6-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I'm in Florida, second only to Texas in our love of guns. I have guns because I have a ranch. I'd say I have about 6 couples I'd count as "close" friends, and of them, only one other has guns. (he was in the Marines and is now a cop). Some of these other friends are even ex-military, but still don't have guns.

Now, since I'm in a rural area, it's a safe bet most of my neighbors have guns, but in the city, it's a pretty rare thing actually.

Even as a former hunter though, I would feel pretty bad having to put an animal out of it's misery, even a "nuisance" animal. Even when I scare off buzzards, it's with shots into the ground, I don't aim at them.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I sincerely thank everyone here for their assurance and advice. Reading this topic has made me feel better after a long night. I really love animals and hate pointless deaths.

The wolf is a wolf-shepherd mix. It's not the first time she attacked an intruding animal in our yard but it's the first time she left it alive. She's very gentle around people and familiar dogs. She's a rescued animal like all my pets are.

edit on 21-6-2013 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Like everyone else has said, you did the right thing to end the poor animal's suffering. Beautiful wolf you have there! Maybe wolfy needs a bell around his neck.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I had to put a Kitten out it's misery years ago. It had been Mauled by a dog, and was Mewing pitifully. It's spine was broken, and it had teeth marks all over it's body, pitiful sight.
I rang the RSPCA but they wasn't interested, and the police were the same.
So i thought it's down to me, i ended it's suffering quickly, i buried it on a piece of wasteland, and it's still haunts me to this day.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Even when I scare off buzzards, it's with shots into the ground, I don't aim at them.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Don't ever get caught shooting anywhere near a buzzard or vulture, even if it is on your property
The only legal way to kill them is if you accidentally run them over LOL.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLegend

I know this may sound "sentimental" to some, but I found it touching to hear you have a heart and care about living things. As hard as it was, I also think you did the right thing.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLegend

People like you and myself that love animals have occasion to have to kill them in a humane manner. It sucks. Know that you did the best for the lil' critter, and it didn't suffer any longer than it had to thanks to you. We can only hope that if we're in a similar situation where we are terminally injured that somebody will help us cross over as well.

That is my wish for myself.

You did good. I know it was rough. You did the right thing.

Respect.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join