It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Capitulates, Removes Online DRM From Xbox One

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They should have called it Xbox 1984

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

^ ^ ^ Agree >>>

2013 and it still uses this.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zymandias

So? With PS+ you pay $50 a year and get access to at least one free AAA title and a bunch of free indie games each month. You also get special sales each month. Not to mention early access to beta versions of games. With XBL Gold you pay $70 a year to get the privilege to access the Netflix account you already pay for that isn't hosted on Microsoft's servers. PS+ is probably the best deal in gaming with the possible exception of Steam and its many sales.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Gonna put my penny in hear I been Xbox of since day one I switched from playstation the day the Xbox was released and have never looked back the Xbox has been the better console over the years yes they have had there probs I.e ring of death but so has playstation and I was severely disappointed with the announcement at e3 but if you sit back and look at the facts Microsoft took a gamble to take control of the used game market hoping Sony would be following suit unfortunately for them don't didn't it was inevitable within hours of e3 finishing that they would do a u-turn if they didn't I would have gone back to playstation the Xbox one offers far more than the playstation the technology in its creation is progress controlling things with movements of your hand and using voice activation
come on people we are supposed to be moving in that direction not stuck in the 90's all the ps4 offers is better graphics over the ps3 the controllers are awfull on playstation there small and awkward to use where as Xbox controllers fit perfectly in your hand and are alot easier to use and every one is moaning about the price and kinect yes Microsoft are pricing it including the kinect but if you wanted the the camera for playstation it would cost you a £100 and the price would be same as Xbox one and with regards to the privacy and the camera listening and watching there is a simple solution people unplug it from the wall or turn it off at the mains its not like its a 1hr work out at the gym 1min less than that to flick a switch or pull it from socket problem solved Xbox offers more so will have my money

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I started out with Intellivision(it was my dad's) NES, then SNES, then N64 (regerettably...should've got PS1), then PS2, then Xbox 360.

I have yet to play an online game, and just buy the games to unwind a bit. I noticed more and more and more that games required additional 'downloadable content' to 'enhance' the gaming experience.

I find this to be nothing but a money grab. I want the game I bought and to play it without having to connect to anything. For this reason I will not be getting this monstrosity Xbone but will be going back to Sony next launch.

This money grab by the publishers and Microsoft was the last straw.

My 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by maxpayne00

While the Kinect and Move are interesting ideas the simple fact is that they don't work yet. Just try playing the latest Steel Batallion to confirm that fact. If you look at the games showcased at E3, I can't think of a single AAA title that employed the motion technology.

In regards to the controller, I know the fighting game community finds the Xbox controller to be the worst option. I also know that a lot of people in the gaming community were very happy with the PS4 controller.

I don't want to come across as a Sony fanboy. I own a PS3, a 360, and a Wii. Since I upgraded my PC none of them have really seen much action. I just find it odd to praise the Xbox One for making the Kinect mandatory when it is still very much a piece of technology that's in development and one developers aren't using. I also think its ridiculous to criticize Sony on something that is entirely subjective like its controller design.

When it comes down to it only on company has been able to successfully innovate with their systems and that's Nintendo. The Kinect and Move only exist because of the Wii. The screen in the PS4 controller (and inevitably the Xbox One controller) is all because of the Wii U. If you listen to a lot of game critics regarding E3 a lot of them say the Big N had the best presentation as well at E3.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Good News, guess i wont have to get a play station now.

By every objective measure, Playstation 3 was better than Xbox 360, and Playstation 4 will be better than Xbox One.

But don't let objective measures get in the way of your fanboyism.

and more on topic....now every Xbox fan can rest easy knowing DRM isn't required....and they will still stay online 24/7.

edit on 19-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

I have the same argument with friends of mine who are die hard x-box fans. Now im a die hard PS fan, and ive owned every PS except the new Vita and the PS portable (which i borrowed off a friend for ages), and i dont think any x-box has ever been a match for its PS equivalent, now in saying that, there isnt a great deal of difference from one machine to the other when it comes to playability, but i always feel like the PS does it smoother and easier, and looks better doing it than the x-box ever has.

The thing is, if microsoft released an x-box tomorrow that was better than a PS, then i wouldnt even hesitate to buy it over the PS. So why do hardcore x-box fans hang on to their inferior machines when something better is available in the same price range with almost the same games? Is it some kind of sick addiction to Halo? i cant think of any other reason

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I've always like my PS over X box anyhow, so its nice to see Sony get the upperhand.
I think it was a stupid idea from the start but I am amazed X box caved to the public outcry?

The attitude is usually well too bad that's the way it is!

I would have reservations as others that there is nothing preventing them from doing it again after you buy the system and come back with the same...well too bad that's the way it is!

PS4 it is

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I own, both the PS3 and the Xbox360, Technologically speaking, the PS3 is better than the Xbox, but in terms of game design, how games are executed and how they play, the Xbox is the better system. The games, play better, they work better have have less glitches and problems.

One only need to look at top review sites, to look at the wasted potential of the PS3. Some games are down right unplayable on the system. Fallow out :New Vegas, comes to mind as down right unplayable on the PS3. Some games, very few I looked to play on the PS3 because they play better.

The online services on the play station are a joke, I play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on the play station and Black ops on the Xbox360. I have never encountered more cheaters or modders/ Hackers on the Play Station than I ever did on the Xbox.

I like the fact that, I have to pay a bit for online play. Yeah, I know I shouldn't have too, but Its not the game company obligation to monitor cheaters that ruin the game for every one, the money has to come from some where.

When I play on line for the Xbox, when I do encounter a cheater that is easy to do, when they warp across the screen, or any other way. When I report them on Xbox, they are dealt with quickly and their accounts/ consoles are banned.

On the play station when I report a known cheater, they never get around to dealing with them. So you get what your paying for. I'd rather play to have a fun, level game experience than a wild west type atmosphere, where a bunch of ass hats rule the place.

Also, to some other posters, Xbox, also lets you get beta testing and advance games, as well as some free games, not as much as on the play station but they still get it.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
What about the kinect that watches you do naked pushups in your livingroom even while it's off?

just stand infront of it a few times pulling your pudd guaranteed they will stop watching quickly

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Ive owned the 360 since 2006. Ive placed my faith in microsoft mostly for intuitive reasons. I wont be buying an xbox one.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by maxpayne00

I agree with you about the controllers. Thats one of the main reasons ive enjoyed xbox vs ps.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by Daedalus

Originally posted by Rocker2013
This makes me angry.

There is a massive scandal going on, with hundreds of millions of people being monitored, with every government on the planet potentially corrupted and controlled by an unaccountable and almost invisible American conspiracy of military/corporate/intelligence collusion, and people are ranting about their toys?

This is what's wrong, this is why we are so dumbed down and stupid, this is why we are in the place we're in. The ignorant masses get all worked up by a corporation telling them they have to play by their rules, while an insidious secret cabal is fapping over every move you make and determined to watch more.

It's a TOY. It's a game. A distraction. People are screaming about something they can choose not to buy, while they couldn't care less about the massive corruption of their own f'ing government!

edit on 20-6-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

Not all of us are like this though....see, this is about DRM, control.....it's all linked...

If you study the posting history of not only myself, but pretty much everyone in this thread, you'll find that we have MORE than enough f**ks to give..and that we care about the stuff you mentioned, and we discuss it here, but we also sometimes like to discuss other stuff that interests us...

if you wrap yourself in conspiracies and research of crimes all day, every day, it tends to land you in a padded room eventually...sometimes you need to take a little break, and talk about other stuff..

I know this is not descriptive of everyone, and here especially, more members are more inclined to think critically about this. I should have made it clear that I meant the population in general, not the population of ATS

fair enough, and. totally agree...for the most part, the general population is intellectually dead....to them, THIS is the big news...not the violation their constitutional rights, or the absolutely dismal state of their economy, the crimes and misdemeanors of their government.....but the fact that instead of Xbox being a locked down DRM box...it'll just have a little less DRM, and goddamn it, that's cause for celebration, lol

for tech geeks like me, its a curiosity, as a man who pays attention to the world around him its still an issue because MS still works with the CIA, and the XOne STILL has a forced peripheral with a camera and mic you can never REALLY turn off....and for that reason alone, I'll not be putting one in my home..

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
its good news for people who really wanted to stick with xbox but were being forced out by their radical restrictions.

For me its still not enough, With the console coming with compulsary Kinect that is always on and listening adding an extra £80 to the price tag I am still not happy. I dont want another spy tool added to my inventory along with my phone, laptop and tablet. Not to mention the playstation is a slightly more powerful machine and doesnt use up a large chunk of its power on the software it encorporates.

This is a big put off for me on the xbox side of things. I think they have dug their own graves right from the start and this U turn is a last effort to climb back out. unfortunately these companies are run by middle aged suits who probably havnt played a video game since pacman.

It's a real shame because im a big xbox 360 fan boy. had mine for 7 years and love it and love xbox live, my gamer profile has grown over the 7 years and i am a bit p*ssed off about having to ditch it all to switch to the PSN and start all over but I just dont feel that microsoft can provide a product I want anymore

edit on 21-6-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Good news? Meh.

A company that large cant just do a 180 in a matter of days. This "Plan B" has probably been in the works for months. Microsoft just went with the heavy DRM because they thought they could get away with with. Unfortunetly, money did the talking and when PS4 pre-orders skyrocketed past XBoxO their response was to do gamers a "favor" and backtrack on everything. And thus we should praise them, of course! Consumers won! Huzzah!

This is not a victory, it just shows that they will always try to shaft us before saying sorry.

Personally, I am still leaning towards the PS4, mainly due to one reason - Microsoft seem to think that gaming is all about flailing your arms in front of an IR camera, while Sony thinks its all about the advanced controller and superior hardware. I am inclined to agree with Sony.
edit on 21-6-2013 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Not read it myself, but I bet its hidden in the EULA that they can restore the DRM via a firmware update, at some point in the future, once everyone already owns their consoles.

Much like Sony removed the "Other OS" option from the PS3 and said "Tough. We're allowed to do it, the EULA says so."

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsiOpSky
Reasons I will not buy Xbox.

2. An eye that listens to what you say and watches what you do, is just another reason for violation of privacy. We already know with the latest NSA leak that Microsoft is on the list that supplies them personal information.

3. Xbox online costs money and fun is meant to be free

Overall Sony will be #1 and it will take several years for Microsoft to catch up now.
edit on 20-6-2013 by PsiOpSky because: (no reason given)

2: The kinect can be "disabled" threw setting but yea who is to say its actually disabled and not listening in on you.
This stupid eye that cant be detached from system is just as bad as DRM

3: PSN isn't free for PS4 it requires a PS plus substitution and is $50 for year.

edit on 21-6-2013 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by maxpayne00
Xbox has been the better console over the years

Not quite, Xbox wasn't even around for PS1, PS2 is the best selling console with millions of games for its generation, if you need proof Google it, probably the best selling system post yr 2000.

Sold: 24 Million Xbox VS 155 Million PS2.

PS3 and XBOX360 were a tie, only because XBOX360 had a head start, 1 yr of monopoly of the gaming market, also a major flaw by ps3 to by making games harder to make by the external developers.

the Xbox one offers far more than the PlayStation the technology in its creation is progress controlling things with movements of your hand and using voice activation

Are you seriously saying Xbox had the highest technology? lol

first DVD on PS2, Blue ray on PS3, Internet browsing... and these were DEFAULT options. The motion sensor was developed by other consoles, Xbox is the one to use it last.

come on people we are supposed to be moving in that direction not stuck in the 90's

Is that why Xbox is still dragging the power brick from 1970s? 2013 and still can't find a simpler solution?

all the ps4 offers is better graphics over the ps3

Thats a bad thing? While, XB1 still offers the same things as 360 but with more restriction on the users, still using the old DDR3, my old computer has better specs! XB1 is just refurbished 360 with full ticket price.

the controllers are awfull on playstation there small and awkward to use where as Xbox controllers fit perfectly in your hand and are alot easier to use

Thats highly debatable, many people like PS controller and others like xbox. Fighting gamers hate xbox controller due to its bulky size, xbox controller is spec designed for shooting games, thus 80% of the games are shooting games. While ps3 is small and compact for variety of games. I thought the future is small and compact. Just like the size of the XB1, you can almost fit 2x PS4 in 1 XB1.

every one is moaning about the price and kinect yes Microsoft are pricing it including the kinect but if you wanted the the camera for PlayStation it would cost you a £100 and the price would be same as Xbox one and with regards to the privacy and the camera listening and watching there is a simple solution people unplug it from the wall or turn it off at the mains its not like its a 1hr work out at the gym 1min less than that to flick a switch or pull it from socket problem solved Xbox offers more so will have my money

Camera is required to play the game, if you disable the camera in any way, it would not function properly, that's why they force you to buy the camera as a package, where as ps3 does not require one.

Unlike PS, who were known to make great games for ages, XBOX entire whole console war for pure profit, now trying ways to milk more money.

Gamers do not like restrictions, worse thing a gamer can face.
edit on 6/21/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Not gonna buy either one, i've got a 360 and PS3, (just started using it in over a year, playing a great game-THE LAST OF US) still very pissed off with microsoft....

The issue of buying a replacement for my rechargeable battery pack for my wireless controller, can't buy the single unit no more, only the battery with a cable to recharge the battery while you play.

Why the hell would i buy that???? if i use a wireless controller!!!! and cost as gone from £7.99 approx (single battery) to £16.99 for battery and cable

So each time the rechargeable battery comes to the end of its life and i have to buy another, i've gotta get a unit with a freaking cable!!

Oh yeah, i have heard that they are releasing a new version of the 360 any way, sticking with dat!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zymandias
reply to post by Unity_99

The PS4 will now require PSN+ to play online multiplayer so there is a now a monthly subscription fee to play online.

yes but they were very clear about that. they hid nothing and told people right from the start that this was the case. They explained that the PSN has evolved and improved dramatically over the last 18 months (which it has) and that it isnt free to maintain. therefore charges have to incur. Fair enough in my opinion.

But PSN+ is still cheaper than xbox live. I am happy to swap my £6/month xbox live subscription for a £4/month PSN+ subscription

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join