It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Capitulates, Removes Online DRM From Xbox One

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Well I'm glad they changed But... they have already softened the public to the idea and one day they will make the DRM stick.

X-Box, I don't need it. I play all the latest AAA games and have for at least the past 10 years. My Laptop and Pirate Bay are an awesome team.

They didn't soften the public to the idea . the public raised a giant collective middle finger and Microsoft completely caved.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by WorldObserver

^ ^ ^ Agree >>>

2013 and it still uses this.

i actually rather LIKE the power adapter...

see, internal power supplies are aesthetically nifty, but somewhat inefficient...and they're kind of a bitch to cool...

see, on the slim model PS3s, the power supply is internal, but the problem i have with it is that there is a single drum fan, and it is responsible for cooling the CPU/GPU.....the exhaust heat from the CPU/GPU heatsink is vented out the back.....the issue i have with this is that they incorporated the internal power supply into the waste heat exhaust duct for the main heatsink.....this is stupid because now you're ventilating already hot components with....hot air?...

that doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense....

and in the original george foreman grill model PS3, the PSU was a self-contained unit...and it's cooling system was kinda crap...internal power supplies, unless they have their own air intake, and exhaust fans, are a bad idea, because they are harder to cool, more prone to failure, and they make the system bigger, and heavier....

in situations like that, an external power adapter is a better idea...unless you're planning to PROPERLY cool an internal PSU....

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
They're patching it out with a patch you have to download, and it wouldn't be out of the question for them to change the T&C's at a later date to put something like it back in.

Also, and this pertains to this site - all the data collecting that Kinect does isn't going anywhere.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Good News, guess i wont have to get a play station now.

By every objective measure, Playstation 3 was better than Xbox 360, and Playstation 4 will be better than Xbox One.

But don't let objective measures get in the way of your fanboyism.

You're right, I don't let objective measures get in the way. Because when I went shopping for a console every review I've ever seen shows that for all practical purposes the two systems were largely neck and neck in terms of quality, with one advantage (I.E. a built in blu-ray player and free online co-op) being cancelled out by an advantage the other had (streaming movies and a larger game library). The only real deal breakers were in the types of proprietary games each played- yeah, you couldn't play Little Big Planet on the Xbox 360 but you likewise couldn't play Halo on the PS3. You could play just about every blockbuster game like Bioshock and Call of Duty on either so nobody really suffered.

So what do you mean by "every objective measure" because the only objective measure I'm seeing is your own PS3 fanboyism. Rather than arguing over trivial differences both PS3 users and Xboc 360 users should be congratulating each other that they didn't buy a Nintendo Wii.

edit on 21-6-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It'd be nice to think that Microsoft listened to the consumer, but that's only partially correct. The PS4 is debuting with a $100 less price tag also, and that, combined with the backlash, meant MS had to capitulate or risk losing major market share. Even with this move, a lot of the damage is done, and folks aren't going to trust that Kinect eye (and will likely have a piece of tape handy to cover it when not in use, if they get it at all).

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
What boggles the mind here is the naïveté of such a prominent company in thinking that in the age of the Internet they could get away with sidling in something as Draconian as no game re-sales and mandatory Internet requirements - effectively rendering their hardware a long term rental console - without suffering crippling blowback.

All M$ have succeeded in doing is galvanising consumer solidarity against any such plans in future by showing them that a unified voice can bring change, reinforced the wide held belief they cannot be trusted, one way or the other, and placing themselves firmly behind the 8-ball for the next generation of video game console hardware.

Sony would be laughing. PC owners, rolling their eyes, as usual.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'll forward my apologies ahead of what i wish to say, although this is aimed at a few persons who have replied to my comments and i would like to respond in kind. For the fellow regarding PSN+ i was merely pointing out the price change, informing folks, please don't make this an argument. I see this happen all to easy here, albeit i have no posts practically but i am a person, just like you

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FromMyColdDeadBrain
What boggles the mind here is the naïveté of such a prominent company in thinking that in the age of the Internet they could get away with sidling in something as Draconian as no game re-sales and mandatory Internet requirements - effectively rendering their hardware a long term rental console - without suffering crippling blowback.

All M$ have succeeded in doing is galvanising consumer solidarity against any such plans in future by showing them that a unified voice can bring change, reinforced the wide held belief they cannot be trusted, one way or the other, and placing themselves firmly behind the 8-ball for the next generation of video game console hardware.

Sony would be laughing. PC owners, rolling their eyes, as usual.

I like your logic. Personally, i think this is a 'play' so to speak. I'm just thinking for microsoft to drastically jump from what we are all used to to TOTAL DRACONIAN gameplay (reversed) is a little weird, why would they even do this? This is the main question that needs answered?!?!?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I dont think they did much, its a trick. Xbox one is designed by high grade military materials. The controller itself is dragonian.
The controller :
It scans your face with IR. It has sensors to calculate the pressure from your fingers, each time you press the buttons.

Xbox one
It has IR scanner to scan the room, even at total dark. It has extra processors to capture sound, monitor, even if the system is @standby. The large amount of HDD, allows to capture and store things and when/if you log into the NET, your xbox one just uploads.

Kenekt is a total monitoring gadget with 3d cameras, etc.

Thats why, the xbox one was capable of recognizing who is playing each time! For example, before they remove the DRM's, your friend or family, couldnt play the whole thing!!! The family could play a part of it, or you had to register them....
Now microsoft (didnt removed) deactivates these features and from day 1 you have to log into the net, at least 1 TIME, just to download the patch, that allows you to play offline or online...
Do they really deactivate them? Or they work a bit more silently. Why they didnt removed most of these things and they force you to "deactivate them"...
Anyway... I am not going to buy it after all, I am a PC gamer (But I may consider ps4 for some exclusive titles in the very distant feature).
edit on 22-10-2013 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

well, I am never getting my kid a microsoft based console.

My days of gaming are over. They died with my xbox 360 that I gave away once I realized what MS was doing.

No one will ever buy a microsoft based console in my family as long as I live.

NOW,

Lets do something about the monopoly on the personal computer. How about Russia (or whoever) just makes the new generation personal computer and OS..... and I can buy one of them... I dont care anymore.

ANYONE...NOT APPLE or MS..

please.

edit on 10 22 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Some of you people sound like remote tribesmen claiming a camera will steal your soul if a picture is taken. Who would of thought adults in the modern age would be scared of technology.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

You know damn well what this is about.

NO ONE trusts what this technology will be used for.

They have absolutely NO REASON to trust a large corporation like MS or those that facilitate its business whether it be government or large private conglomerates.

Dont play coy. Most people are too pissed off to even start listening to that reasoning of yours...

Like things are peachy and arent getting worse as far as over surveillance of citizens...

NO MORE.

edit on 10 22 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

its not only Apple and MS... They first infiltrate in the software companies (MS was one of the first ones since 1990's with NSA)..

Now, software companies also push for monitoring DRM policies and hardware manufacturers have to comply or they ditch them

Take an example of Nintendo.. read the articles by order...

1) mynintendonews.com...
2) www.edge-online.com...
3) wiiudaily.com...
4) meanwhile Nintendo fanbase riot against ORIGIN and Nintendo turn down the agreement, there is articles that Nintendo comfirms " NO Origin OS for the wii U"
5)www.techradar.com...
6) www.destructoid.com...
7) www.eurogamer.net...
8) www.tekrevue.com...
9) nintendo.about.com...
10) www.cinemablend.com...
11) www.nintendolife.com...

During that period, we saw a new partnership!

1) www.bubblews.com...

And then Ubisoft's turn :

1) www.escapistmagazine.com...
2) www.manufacturingdigital.com...
3) mynintendonews.com...
4) www.dashhacks.com...

and the story goes on... The companies who forcing monitoring into humans, because DRM is not for piracy, Piracy started from them, to give an excuse for monitoring us, are Apple, Valve, Microsoft, Ubisoft and EA (these are the big 5) and there is also smaller ones as secondary assistants. This is how they ditched wii U... Sometimes its good to look into the past. There is more links to share, but no point.

Nintendo gives free online gameplay, free expansions/DLC (they dont charge them for their games), no monitoring, no drm and that conflicts with the other companies plans.

But wii U have some hidden cards, it may be hard to get western titles, because western companies are totally sold out and they want to steal our privacy... But it has Disney as an ally, because disney sells amazingly good in Nintendo (disney owns Starwars), wii U also got its own engine tools and the most exclusives www.siliconera.com...

and its a very good engine, next gen. This is the one, exclusive tools for it. www.youtube.com...

I stop buying EA and UBI games long ago... I enjoy the demos from them

My point is, that there is alternatives to fight them. Its more like the supermarket, people stop buying Sodium Fluoride tooth paste and companies changed trend into more organic... The same thing goes here, if you follow "their trend" your off/dead.... We could change things... We won in PC, thats why they consider it as a dead platform, even if its the best... Their DRM's dont work, there is also the scandals with MS now and NSA.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm going wait for 3 months after the release to make sure they don't try to throw it back out there
i don't want a system with online DRM

i will say DRM is a good thing but microsoft trying to take it to the extream and they might end up losing a lot of there users if they use the Online DRM

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mrFMPerson

They wont do it in 3 months, but a year or two after... But the first 3 months will help you read user comments, hardware problems, etc.

We may be able also to see if xbox one is stealing private info, because some people monitor their connections and they give full report to others.

This is what Microsoft tried to do, I hope its not in the plans, still.... stevivor.com...

They tried to separate their customers into levels... Those who like DRM and ONLINE, they will have better graphics, than those who love to play offline!! They did changed the hardware after, they added a bit stronger gpu and cpu (they may changed their plans)... but I would suggest you to keep and eye on that.

ps: Remember @E3 what they said about their games? All games are "cloud enhanced" so that was not the true power of xbox one.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ploutonas

i know of the computer underground ill be keeping a eye on the hacking sites and etc

WireShark is easy to learn and very usful

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join