It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayhem in the city: 25 people shot in 48 hours

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Now isn't this just a terrible statistic for a weekend. What is happening out there? People are going flat nuts and the value of life is dropping as fast as the US dollar.

Violence surged like the mercury Sunday, with three more fatalities from gun violence — and eight others wounded in shootings — bringing the total number of bullet-riddled in the city to 25 in less than 48 hours.

Only Staten Island was safe from the wide-ranging spray of gunfire and sickening weekend bloodshed. At least 12 people were blasted in Brooklyn, eight in the Bronx and another four in Queens. The sole person shot in Manhattan took several slugs to the chest and perished in broad daylight.
Source

If this is, in any way, a sign of things to come for the Summer? I think we're in real bad trouble.

This isn't a thread about guns, though I have no question in my mind that some in media will make it out that way. Chicago is also having headliner and record breaking murder rates. These are both among the most strict and regulation heavy cities in the nation for guns, so to those who would seek connection? I'd start there, if anywhere.

I think it's more a statement about just how wild and dangerous society at large seems to be getting. This is starting to remind me of the violence which came from the coc aine wars of the 1980's. It was across the major cities then, too, but a clear reason and understandable motivation behind it. Greed, profit and outright depravity from the new crack epidemic of the time. Not to side track into that side topic, in deference to T&C, but the example is only to illustrate, by comparison, how little there is to point to now. There is no overriding cause and nothing to "solve" or "control" to bring an end.

This just seems like general disregard for others and life in general while mixed with the desperation of the national situation and general anger about many things combined. That isn't a problem that lends itself to solutions quickly, if ever. That doesn't bode well for how the coming months and years are likely to unfold.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Friggin sunspots flaring us.....I swear. I feel it, these days.....for about two weeks now.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Source story is kind of all over the place but they make it sound like the police are looking for a single gunman and it is all gang-related.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yep. The city that has the most anti-gun laws is having a gun issue?
So you mean more gun laws DON'T solve problems?
You mean banning firearms doesn't solve gun problems?

Huh? Who'd a thought?
(Someone had to say it)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
As far as New York, I feel thats its under reported. Not for this weekend but in general. I listen to the city wide scanner on a regular basis, and people are always getting shot. Every day, every hour here.

These hoodlums here are insane and utterly ignorant. Its 95 degrees, very humid, sticky, and they want to hang around outside all day, drinking and smoking. When you have alot of guys like that in a small area, something is bound to happen.
They are loud, disrespectful, an have no regard for others young or old. Someone was shot just feet from my window about a week ago, midday sunday.

I just cant understand the mentality of everyone hanging around, all day everyday. Like a shift at work. Heat can bring aggravation and alot of these guys get set off for something as small as a look or accidental bump on the street.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I hope this doesn't become a gun issue as well. I'm fairly liberal on most accounts, but as far as gun regulations go I see no correlation between gun laws and gun violence. (canada has much looser regulations, and a lot of people own many guns, but their gun violence rates are negligible whereas ours are some of the highest in the world). What we need is something to boost our nation's morale and have more positive thinking. Personalize, I think we need more people out volunteering and helping others in need. Then maybe we'll start to see a shift in attitude and more people connecting peacefully with their neighbors.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I tend to think it's just a sign of the times. As economic times become harder fuses become shorter and nerves stretched taut. The warmer the weather gets it seems the quicker folk's tempers become. As more and more companies cut employee hours to make exceptions from providing health benefits and the cost of food and goods keep rising not only do I expect more rise in random and gang related violence I sadly expect a sharp rise in family violence in the near future if it's not already on the rise along with a steeper divorce rate.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I am moving from central/upstate NY to the Tucson area in AZ. This article just reinforces any doubts I have in my mind that it is time to get out of NY, and to get out while the getting is good. NY is terrible... The taxes are sky high, and everything is so darn expensive here.

Looking forward to moving west!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What drives these people to commit such heinous crimes?
What is the motivation? Drug induced paranoia?
Stagnant life processes? The economy?

I have to believe that if these murderers were keeping busy in other ways, they may not havr the time to commit such crimes. But with modern society being sculpted by the very people who own it all, media and money-wise, it's no wonder this country hasn't already went into self destruct mode.

Is it greed amongst men?
Did the invention of a fiat currecy driven economy inevitably cause this?

Besides the obvious, it's a good reason to have protection.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I think this is probably a combination of things... hot weather, drunkenness, drug use, poverty, criminality... sometimes you just have things that cross over and make for the perfect headline, and I guess that's one of those examples.

But make no mistake, there will be more of this, and that's just because of a continued economic decline.

Usually these things happen so slowly it's almost imperceptible, but the difference this time is that we can all communicate this information, we can see it all happening, and certain people can organize.

Look at the UK for example, the last time we had considerable economic collapse leading to social issues here was in the 1970's and 80's with Thatcher trying to force change for the better and annoying a lot of people in the process. Back then people took to the streets over the Poll Tax and we saw riots in London. That was without mobile phones, without the internet, without millions of communities on the internet that people were involved in...

And this is why all of our governments have been trying to sneak in internet monitoring and controls under various names and guises over the last four or five years.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Rats in a cage syndrome. Cities should be banned. People need access to silence where they can hear their own thoughts and nature doesn't consist of garbage strewn alleys filled with constant screeching brakes, smelly streets and wailing sirens.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Culturally, Americans are violent and insensitive. A warrior nation if you will. Intellectual pursuits are deemed "sissy" where as muscular size and strength, especially in sports is idealized. Winning at all costs is paramount.

Watch our TV and Movies. Blood, Killing and violent conflict make for popular themes.

www.howardsmead.com...

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic and a killer." — D.H. Lawrence

Even here at ATS, cyber abuse, insults and marginalization of opponents rule the day.

I know broad generalizations but imo still an accurate assessment.

You reap what you sow!!

edit on 3-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It think it speaks of the desperation, of the poor and disenfrancised.
(and that means the recent late middle class too)
The fed keeps pumping out money, but very little if any, is trickling down to those who need it most.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Dont forget the music!. These guys just love the gangsta rap. I downloaded Rick Ross's album, because hes at the top in that area and the guys here listen to him ALL the time so I wanted to check it out....Disgusting. They really believe that what they hear is their lifestyle, from the guns to drugs, women smh

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Regarding sun flares Tasmania lit up with the southern lights ,called australia boris or something like that beautiful purple skies not often visible in Tassie and was reading that earth was blasted with an unknown energy thingy not from the sun the other day, just my 2 cents worth , don't wanna go to far off topic, cheers 1%

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I may have created a new debate topic.

I personally don't know what to blame it on.
Violence is a crucial part of nature, everywhere you look.
But this is a "modern society" not necessarily nature...
Usually natural violence is an essential part of feeding.
These humans are killing for fun/money/gangs or drugs.
Not to feed.

We are a product of our own environment that is a fact.
Todays culture is riddled with immoral signs and influences
Everywhere you look, violence is almost glorified.
So are the cities what we blame? The environment?
It's rare to see crimes like these committed on a daily basis in the back country.
Maybe people are more preoccupied with their own survival, not gangs and money.
I just don't know.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Like hell.
You think just because we have warriors we are ONLY warriors?
Do you think American warriors are one trick ponies?
I graduate from the Art Institutes next year with a BA,isn't art considered "sissy" NOBODY at school is afraid of me and they don't call ME sissy.
Your OPINION requires tweaking for accuracy.
Where these things happen is where too many people are crammed together Southern California,Chicago,Detroit and New York.These people consider themselves the majority because they have such large population centers when in fact they are no more so than the rest of America.
Unfortunately they have also developed coloquial cultures that have given rise to linguistic-socio defense mechanisms to create PC rules and ways to mitigate abuse for safety.
It has gone WAY too far in an attempt to group-think their way out of basic human nature. I feel sorry for the kids who haven't been disciplined but coddled into believing they will be rewarded for nothing,they are growing up pissed.I am angry at men who create life and abbandon them But when these people come along to the rest of the country and try to define ME with this failed system of logic,they are angry at my traditional nuclear family values.
I am SOOOO glad I grew up in a time where my entire life wasn't under a microscope where I could fall down and get up on my own.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Think about it.
If your hero, the new messiah, does not supply the manna from on high as expected, you get upset and say, "What the Hell," and make it so.
edit on 3-6-2013 by Aliensun because: it needed a coma, OK?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by darkwingduck

While Tucson may not be as violent as NY, it is by no means a safe nirvana when it comes to violent crime. Be careful when you get here.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This is a thread about guns, if there were less restrictions on these peoples "rights" there would be more peaceable folk on the streets armed with the intention of saving lives.
Instead you have criminals just doing what they do, breaking the law.
An armed society is a polite society.
Just like the scene in a movie where the bad guy goes into a bar and says "stick em up, this is a robbery"! Then all of the patrons turn to face the bad guy with guns and badges in hand.
Imagine how the bad guy feels, imagine if all criminals made that realization from not only cop bars, but grocery stores, or hair salons, or hardware stores, Etc.
This world would be a much more peaceable place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join