It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Reports coming in of big fireball with sonic booms over Mexico

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Unconfirmed reports on Twitter coming in of a large fireball over Mexico with sonic booms.

Looks like quite a big one!

Note: The below image is a recycled image of the Chelyabinsk fireball!

Source: Twitter

Also unconfirmed reports of seismic activity, possibly related to the fireball.

Sorry not much to add as yet, but I'm sure more info will follow soon.

ETA:

From Mexican seismograph monitors

Latest available data indicate that the fall of the possible # Meteorite was given approximately at 16:08 hrs Local (17:08 hrs Mexico Center). The sighting reports and calls to Emergency Services have come from neighborhoods like El Centenario, Villas del Encanto, Fovissste, Bellavista, Santa Fe, Fidepaz, among others, located south of La Paz, Baja California Sur.

Source: lunaticoutpost.com

Related links:
The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs
edit on 18-5-2013 by FireballStorm because: Added more info

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Interesting.....but I can't see how seismic activity could possibly be related to a meteorite

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Wow, a little excitement again. And I was just thinking of going to watch TV. Guess I have to stay glued to the seat till I learn more. S&F for speed

That looks like that one a while ago in South America. Are you sure that is new? I can't read Spanish

edit on 18-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

If it struck the ground and it was big enough it would.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
reply to post by Argyll

and if landed in a populated area it will bring havoc..nuclear proportion

so or either it exploded in mid air like the recent one in Russia, or landed in an isolated location, or the seismic activity report is void and null

edit on 18-5-2013 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
!Aye Chihuahua!
I'll have to keep an eye on this one. Wonder if this happened the same time as the EQ in Toronto?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
...another incoming object?

let's see.. we've had terrorism and global warming.. that means asteroids and aliens are next?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I would think if it hit a populated area we would know by now, would be almost instant news I am guessing.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's not necessary for an impact to cause seismic activity - a large air-burst could well shake the ground quite a bit. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here

link   
i didnt scroll the image..now i did ...its seems it exploded in mid air..i can see 2 explosions

a video im sure it will be cool..

no dash cams in mexico i think

link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Rural Mexico is not going to be instant news like America...it could take awhile. (I should say there are many rural areas in America that do not have wifi or cell service too....)

link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

If it struck the ground and was big enough to cause seismic activity, every TV station on the planet would be interrupting programmes with the news!.....they aren't and it hasn't.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Not seeing anything on RSOE

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Wow, a little excitement again. And I was just thinking of going to watch TV. Guess I have to stay glued to the seat till I learn more. S&F for speed

Hehe - I was planning to have a nice relaxing night editing images. I guess that's out of the window now

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
i didnt scroll the image..now i did ...its seems it exploded in mid air..i can see 2 explosions

See my edited info - it turns out the image was of the Chelyabinsk fireball.

Originally posted by heineken
a video im sure it will be cool..

no dash cams in mexico i think

Hopefully there might be some security cam footage of it, and there is at least one all-sky fireball camera in Mexico that I know of that may have caught it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

More likely we will get some photos snapped of the dust-train the fireball left.
edit on 18-5-2013 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

A small TnT blast at a mine will register around a 1 to 1.5 mag quake. It certainly could register on a nearby seismo without the world instantly knowing about it.

Why does everyone think that every inch of this earth is covered with cameras or instant messaging? We really are so much smaller than we think.

edit on 18-5-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So, to sum things up, we have a unconfirmed report via Twitter of an asteroid/meteor hitting in Mexico.

10 flags for this?

Wow!
edit on 18-5-2013 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It's past midnight in many parts of the world.... 5/19/13.... 4CHAN HAS METEORITES AND IS HURLING THEM AT MEXICO!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yeah, it did take a little while for the Russian meteor reports, and that was caught on all sorts of things...so lets just see. I hope it was just an air burst, although I really would love to see what a fresh crater looks like! Just don't want anyone to get hurt.
edit on 18-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: typonese

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Is a slow day for exciting news so this probably is getting people all pumped up to find out what happened, if anything.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join