It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are alcoholics, winos, and sugar addicts just craving Vitamin C? "Of course" says the OP

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
As medium-to-long time ATS'ers know, humans and other apes and primates have a major genetic illness - we don't make Vitamin C - ascorbic acid - within our body. Although all other lifeforms happily and constantly make it within themselves, we broke a long long long time ago. The lemurs make it, darn their large cute eyes, but we broke when we evolved and now only cute women have large eyes and none of us have homemade C.

There are several extremely good threads on Vitamin C on ATS, This one asks one question: Are winos and other sugar addicts craving C and fervently attempting to find it where it ain't??? Of course they are, and alcohol execs and sugar pushers know this (or at least their more intelligent executives and scientists do).

I thought of this about a half hour ago, and realized I never check Lived if there is Vitamin C in wine. Nope. What there is in the grapes is fermented away, so alcohol contains no ascorbic acid whatsoever - although to the tasts buds it is full of the stuff. So once again corporatism tricks people into substituting nothing for what the body thinks is something. Lives and livers ruined, alas. Oh well, pockets full of plenty let everyone in the business world sleep at night.

As for candy, cake, cookies, and other sugar gems tricking us into thinking they are just big wafers of Vitamin C. As Shemp would say "Why certainly!!!!"

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Interesting....I will have to try taking a lot of vitamin C to supplement my ever increasing and voracious appetite for alcohol. Does this Vitamin C tab make me look fat?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This thread makes me want some Sunny D, the question is, does Sunny D have vitamin C?

But really I want some OJ....

thanks for making me thirsty.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by malchir
This thread makes me want some Sunny D, the question is, does Sunny D have vitamin C?

Perfect...I can get my C and my alcohol...a screwdriver should do the trick right? That or a lychee martini please.....

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
That's odd... In the days I drank alcohol, I took Vitamin A, B, C and D to compensate for what alcohol tended to deplete ...hence, a large part of the mechanism alcohol does damage to a person that drinks regularly. It's an odd thing to consider that my body would be craving the thing actually hurting that by consumption?

Then again...I didn't have a beer or a 7&7..I had everclear and 7-up on a 10/90 mix. Perhaps that made the difference. lol....

+6 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

This theory is completely ignorant of how neurotransmitters work. I would say the dopamine reaction plays much more of a roll.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I had everclear and 7-up on a 10/90 mix.

That makes me ol' bunghole pucker......

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I cant wait to get drunk tonight because my brain thinks it will provide me vitamin C

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Interesting article relating to what you posted in the OP.

www.livestrong.com...

Supporting your body's production of feel-good brain chemicals with vitamin C may be helpful if certain scientific theories are correct. For example, your serotonin systems may help to regulate drug-taking behavior such as alcoholism, according to "Pharmacotherapy of Depression," by Domenic A. Ciraulo and Richard Irwin Shader. That's why using strategies to increase serotonin levels in your body may be useful in reducing alcohol cravings. This theory is based on animal research that suggests serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs, which increase serotonin levels in your body, may be useful for cutting alcohol cravings, note Ciraulo and Shader.

Another theory on alcoholism is called "reward deficiency syndrome." This theory states that alcoholics have an imbalance of chemicals involved in the brain's signals of pleasure, or reward, for certain things, such as being safe and warm. This imbalance may play a role in chemical dependency such as alcoholism because you lack the feeling of reward, and thus seek a way to attain it. While dopamine is your brain's primary reward neurotransmitter, serotonin and epinephrine also may be involved in these brain pathways, according to Pat Jones of Behavioral Medicine Associates in Atlanta.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thats what i am gonna tell my wife next time i get hammer stead. "just craving me vitamins"

But seriously, i never heard of a human body craving vitamins. So i have to say no on this chestnut.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
As medium-to-long time ATS'ers know, humans and other apes and primates have a major genetic illness - we don't make Vitamin C - ascorbic acid - within our body. Although all other lifeforms happily and constantly make it within themselves, we broke a long long long time ago. The lemurs make it, darn their large cute eyes, but we broke when we evolved and now only cute women have large eyes and none of us have homemade C.

There are several extremely good threads on Vitamin C on ATS, This one asks one question: Are winos and other sugar addicts craving C and fervently attempting to find it where it ain't??? Of course they are, and alcohol execs and sugar pushers know this (or at least their more intelligent executives and scientists do).

I thought of this about a half hour ago, and realized I never check Lived if there is Vitamin C in wine. Nope. What there is in the grapes is fermented away, so alcohol contains no ascorbic acid whatsoever - although to the tasts buds it is full of the stuff. So once again corporatism tricks people into substituting nothing for what the body thinks is something. Lives and livers ruined, alas. Oh well, pockets full of plenty let everyone in the business world sleep at night.

As for candy, cake, cookies, and other sugar gems tricking us into thinking they are just big wafers of Vitamin C. As Shemp would say "Why certainly!!!!"

I think that GABA recepter uptake and euphoria have more to do with the desire for alcohol than some Vitamin C deprivation conspiracy. Mankind has been wanting to alter our consciousness ever since we discovered we had a consciousnesss and alcoholism existed long before corporations.

I don't understand where the vitamin C alcohol connection comes in. Is it because quite often alcohol is made from fruit? Why do you think the taste buds sense ascorbic acid? Where do you get the premise that corporations are tricking people to drink instead of taking vitamin c? I don't recall seeing a single bit of advertising for an alcoholic product that had anything to do with vitamin C or any nutritional value...just that you'll have fun and feel good.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
Thats what i am gonna tell my wife next time i get hammer stead. "just craving me vitamins"

But seriously, i never heard of a human body craving vitamins. So i have to say no on this chestnut.

Lol... I told mine that it helped me sleep and 'reset' my outlook between trips on the truck for long haul driving, while I was home. Funny.... My reasoning never seemed to impress her.

On the body craving vitamins? Oh, I think that's 100% valid, actually. I found that one quite by accident when I started taking generous helpings of vitamins as a daily supplement and right to the limits the medical books say is proper (not the labels ...med books. You'd be surprised how different those numbers can be).

What I found was that the seemingly endless hunger for munchies and eating as a near form of entertainment vs. a physical need? Almost vanished entirely. The crappy food we all eat is so vitamin starved, our body needs more, almost irregardless of how much of it we consume, IMO.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by malchir

Perfect...I can get my C and my alcohol...a screwdriver should do the trick right? That or a lychee martini please.....

Tom Collins.

I knew I always craved OJ and beer for a reason!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I could see wines because they have ascorbic acid added to balance the palate, but liquor and beer have negligible amounts of ascorbic acid in them. In fact I would dare say liquor has almost untraceable amounts of ascorbic acid in it unless it is added after the distillation process. It's a good theory, but I don't think it works just based on liquors lack of ascorbic acid alone.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
WOOT I'm not fat! I'm Vitamin C deficiant!!!! Awesome

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thanks for all the good replies. A test could be run on winos (sign up sheet in the alley). Say taking 20 and making sure 10 of them have many grams of C a day and the rest continue to wine and non-dine. Let them drink as much as they want (you'd have thousands signing up if that was the gimmee). Then compare them after three months.

Another thought: What other animals crave fruit? Only primates as far as I can recall (fruit bats may not make C in their systems either. Horse like apples, but likely don't crave it. Good horses.). Primates lack C, so there you go, they will even climb trees to find a tiny itty bitty taste of it.

Not talking here about ascorbic acid added into drinks or sugar products, although that would be a healthy bonus but would hurt the bottom line of having the marks, ah, customers, pump sugar and wine into their bodies.

And I'm not talking about eating enough fruit to get your daily need for C, you can't, unless you are eating oranges all day. That's why the governments, our "friends", have their suggestion for C so low - the orange juice industry loves people to think they can get "100% of your daily need for C in a glass of O.J.". Ha!

Going to link some of the very good threads on ATS here which deal with how to get enough C into you and your loved ones (and that too is the bottom line, you may not care if you cure your major genetic disease but I bet you'd like your wife, children, parents and friends to cure there's - and now you know how to do it, or will after reading these threads.

Some ATS links:
www.abovetopsecret.com... Summary of the vast liposomal C thread, by Julie Washington (ATS's Goddess of Vitamin C)

www.abovetopsecret.com... The lipo thread itself (you can stay up for a day reading this one)a by dominicus. All hail dominicus (I do at least).

www.abovetopsecret.com... What you don't know may kill you, says Julie Washington. And she isn't talking about quicksand.

www.abovetopsecret.com... We all have a major genetic disease thread, by yours truly (why doesn't anyone ever say "Yours untruly"?)

edit on 1-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How do I say this...... Ermmm..... YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME COOKIES! OR ME BEER! And for that I bestow upon you~

Careful... One bit and you'll be a Cookie Monster too~

All jokes aside. I tried the high intake of Vit C and noticed a major difference in my body. And when I stopped and missed a day. I started coming down with a cold type thingamajigger~ So I agree there is depravity of Vit C in the human body... But as I stated....

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME COOKIES~ OR ME BEER!!!
Num nums~ Got some?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I think that GABA recepter uptake and euphoria have more to do with the desire for alcohol than some Vitamin C deprivation conspiracy. Mankind has been wanting to alter our consciousness ever since we discovered we had a consciousnesss and alcoholism existed long before corporations.

I don't understand where the vitamin C alcohol connection comes in. Is it because quite often alcohol is made from fruit? Why do you think the taste buds sense ascorbic acid? Where do you get the premise that corporations are tricking people to drink instead of taking vitamin c? I don't recall seeing a single bit of advertising for an alcoholic product that had anything to do with vitamin C or any nutritional value...just that you'll have fun and feel good.

Hello Navy Doc, love your posts especially on the Boston threads. Sure, people's subconscious or whatever it is that's sailing through life on habits and instinct think that red wine and wine coolers and fruity looking drinks are fruit. And that fruit=something I need. The advertising isn't for C, but the colour alone makes people attracted to it. The fun and feel good until you don't aspect comes into play when the brain cells die (RIP), but maybe the initial interest in actually pouring the drink is because of a lack of ascorbic acid. I'm not saying that it's the whole thing, when people get hooked they usually stay hooked. My point is, as in my post above, what if a medical test were done so that some winos (or wine "connoisseurs" depending on the bank account) were given enough C to heal their genetic illness, and others weren't, and then compare the consumption pattern after three months. The Navy or a VA out-clinic would be good place to put such a test into place (hint hint).

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tluna1
WOOT I'm not fat! I'm Vitamin C deficiant!!!! Awesome

All joking aside, very possibly. But potato chips and french fries were my downfall (been off them almost a year...again). Hmmmmm, do potatoes contain C???

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Alcoholics are trying to escape from reality, stop the pain..using it as a crutch, or just have an addictive personality in my opinion.

Most people i know who drink a lot of alcohol do so because their jobs are stressful or because their life isnt going as well as they think it should be. They use it to escape, they say it makes them feel better, but the truth is alcohol is a depressant...its slows the function of the central nervous system, which blocks messages to the brain.

I see no correlation between alcoholism and vitamin c deficiency.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join