It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I really appriciate our Russian friends who had the courage
Not just courage, ingenuity as well.

The panic and confusion that followed Friday's meteorite crash quickly gave way to Chelyabinsk residents' entrepreneurial instincts. Several people smashed in the windows of their houses in the hopes of receiving compensation, RIA Novosti news agency reported.

Russian humor:

One of the most popular jokes was that the meteorite was supposed to fall Dec. 21 last year -- when many believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world -- but was delivered late by Russia's notoriously inefficient postal service.

www.cbsnews.com...

link   
reply to post by Piper96

I'm in Florida and it just so happens that central Florida is having an emergency training event in downtown today. Do you think he may be announcing that you're going to be seeing more of these exercises?

I wouldn't doubt if the US cities would use this event to hold more emergency training exercises. Even if this meteor isn't the reason, I wouldn't put it past them to use it as an excuse. Like Rham stated, "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

link   
What amazing times we live in.

Of course these are relatively common and natural events...nothing new.. but the tech we have today and amateur participation is something that just a short time ago wsnt a possibility. Dash cams, amateurs with equip and the love of astronomy to discover these things.. to me, it is wonderful. It is a wonderful time to be alive.

I have 2 gifted children who I have had to homeschool ( one health related.. and the schools here are deplorable) and we took the day observing from several live observatories online and the 14 yr old literally sponged up info on a particular amateur astronomy board.. of which she is a member now.
The oldest is here too.. mildly interested, but the 7 yr old.. my God.. she was fascinated. No fear or weirdness.. just a pure curiosity that thankfully the internet gave us the tools to spark.

I have a great hope that this new generation will use the tools we have rather than shoot arrows at the ancient satellite.. which it seems we still are here at times. Well, some anyway!

Thanks for a wonderful thread and the information here. I had been becoming very disillusioned with ATS lately... this was a GREAT opportunity for us all and reminded me that there IS something to be said for this community. These are strange and wonderful days.. I hope to share many more with you all!

P.S. buncha new NEO's that have been discovered by amateurs in the last year or so.. also found this for those interested! There are requirements, but isnt it a wonderful opportunity for those who can. Just average folks... aiding and discovering!
www.lowell.edu...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Piper96
Here's a weird coincidence... It's probably nothing, seeing as the asteroid has passed and all, but for some reason our governer here is making some kind of an announcement at 1:30 and won't say what it's regarding... Hmmmm

Governor where?
It's almost 4PM....too bad you can't time travel and tell us what was said 2 1/2 hours ago

I take it you're on the Pacific coast? Are you Art Bell?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

No the light didn't cause it.

You see the event (light) then hear the sound as the shock wave is traveling a lot slower (765 mph), so it took several minutes for it to arrive.

That shock wave (the sound) is what shattered the glass.

Just like lightning....unless it's close, you normally see it well before you hear it.

Here, check out this video of the fire and explosion that destroyed a rocket fuel factory, you see the explosion but it takes a bit for the blast wave to reach the camera man:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The car windows could be explained due to the fact there is more pressure/density on car windows. The windows of buildings are more fragile against air displacement.

Although, some screenshots got me pondering, some things don't add up. Like is their a photo of the big crater? the one that landed in town? Not the one in the Ice, and please no one show me that picture of the gate of hell.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Lol...no I'm not Art Bell. But yes I am on the west coast. I honestly have no clue what the announcement could be. As far as I know, there hasn't been anything significant going on up here. I hardly doubt he would be commenting on Miss Washington going to prison for being an accessory to murder. The asteroid is the only thing in the news that I can think of that would warrant acknowledgment from the governor. But who knows. Maybe I'm missing something. I will keep you guys updated and let you know when I find out what it is

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

No the light didn't cause it.

You see the event (light) then hear the sound as the shock wave is traveling a lot slower (765 mph), so it took several minutes for it to arrive.

That shock wave (the sound) is what shattered the glass.

Just like lightning....unless it's close, you normally see it well before you hear it.

Here, check out this video of the fire and explosion that destroyed a rocket fuel factory, you see the explosion but it takes a bit for the blast wave to reach the camera man:

The video doesn't work but I agree with hearing after seeing--- lightning (see) THEN the thunder (hear) but what about the actual lightning strike? The impact? The energy? Is that after the light and sound too? Are there THREE steps? Light, sound and effect?

link   
Looks like some sort of space activity (asteroid?) happened in Cuba. I haven't seen anything on the news but RSOE EDIS has activity posted.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Trillium
Here what my sky camera pick up last night will have to check on time difference
It on the right hand side

Where was this? What is this? What are you suggesting? I apologize if you already explained this but I am bobbing about reading random posts instead of the thread in its entirety. So if you wouldn't mind, please explain (again?). Thanks Trillium

Sorry for the delay had to go to town was running out of beer and other thing LOL
After checking the time difference between me and the even there is a 1 hour difference sorry.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

there is a good app for android called CaroO Pro, it even links in to your engine management, records the route and other funky stuff. If you stick your phone on the dash with a carefully chosen holder, you can get a decent dashcam recorder for virtually nothing.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The panic and confusion that followed Friday's meteorite crash quickly gave way to Chelyabinsk residents' entrepreneurial instincts. Several people smashed in the windows of their houses in the hopes of receiving compensation, RIA Novosti news agency reported.

Russian humor:

One of the most popular jokes was that the meteorite was supposed to fall Dec. 21 last year -- when many believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world -- but was delivered late by Russia's notoriously inefficient postal service.

www.cbsnews.com...

I imagine that there was quite a bit of gathering and drinking afterwards (for those not too hurt), pointing and laughing and retelling each story as to where they were when it happened.....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yup 9:30 am. Time to hit the pubs!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Russian humor:

www.cbsnews.com...

I can attest to the postal part. My mother in law sent us a package in late december... still waiting !

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindflush
Looks like some sort of space activity (asteroid?) happened in Cuba. I haven't seen anything on the news but RSOE EDIS has activity posted.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

That's okay, even though you're about 20 pages late, we welcome you!

It's not been established if the Cuban meteor was on Wednesday despite it saying the 15th or did it occur the same time as the Russian event? Currently the 8th wonder.

But if it made the RSOE I would imagine it probably turned out to be a meteorite, right? I mean, why would they bring attention to innocent passing 'fireballs' ?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Originally posted by JoyfullMustard
THIS THREAD ROCKS

Star for you, I got it, either nobody eles did or they just groaned and moved on.

LOL I just got it.

Yea, took me a sec.Then I replied after I posted, I scrolled down and I saw he begged for a laugh.That was when I groaned.

edit on 15-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

But if it made the RSOE I would imagine it probably turned out to be a meteorite, right? I mean, why would they bring attention to innocent passing 'fireballs' ?

A meteor and a fireball are the same thing, with a fireball being the term used for a large meteor.

A meteorite is a meteor which has landed on Earth
edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Crud, I hate it when they turn on the "Do not embed" feature......

energy, depending on what kind travels at different speeds, and is very dependent on the medium that it is traveling through.

Like sound, it moves faster through water than air, and even faster through solids.

Electromagnetic energy travels at the same speed as light (as that is what light is).

The pressure wave moves like a sound wave, hence the loud blast, AND the shattering of glass, car alarms, etc.

Like when a nuclear bomb goes off, you see it, and at that same time, the intensity (energy) of the light is so great, that it literally will start burning what is facing it......then the pressure wave (and sound) reaches and destroys.

Here's some videos of that...(this one works):

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

I imagine that there was quite a bit of gathering and drinking afterwards (for those not too hurt), pointing and laughing and retelling each story as to where they were when it happened.....

Probably a huge upsurge of Vodka sales today as a result

New topic: Has anyone come across a video compilation of this event? Thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by drphilxr

Thanks for the update...

15m diameter, 7000 ton (!) for the meteorite that hit central russia.

Exploded over Russia. Pieces that did hit were crumbs from initial object. Good thing it came in at a shallow angle. If it had been steeper... or straight in even...

WHAM!

Actually a shallow angle is probably the reason it expoded so close to the ground. With a steeper angle, the forces acting on the object (and making it want to break up) are increased, so if it had been a steeper angle the object would likely have exploded much higher up, meaning less damage on the ground due to the shockwave.

Originally posted by intrptr
I'm gone looking for fragments. They say some are up for sale.

A word of caution here - there will be people trying to pass off any old crap as the genuine article to make a fast buck. However if you do get lucky and buy a peice of the real thing it would likely make up for any bad buys.

new topics

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join