It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moments of 'OMG! This isn't real!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I still claim that the premise of a god is absurd, but as a seeker of truth I have to concede this point:

There have been moments in my life (they're actually microseconds, and one of these moments happened last night) when I've been hit with the sudden realization that this isn't real. In that blink of an eye I am hit with the fact that I am not real. The house I live in is not real. The planet, and the whole universe isn't real.

I equate it to a character trapped in a movie suddenly becomes aware that the movie isn't real. He feels compelled to continue on with the dialogue and the actions, but with a nagging sense that it's all for nothing.

I am not made privy to any curtain opening and revealing another realm behind it. I don't feel a hidden purpose or sense a deeper meaning to this life. It simply feels like we could all suddenly vanish and it wouldn't make one bit of difference to anyone anywhere.

For what it's worth, feel free to post your thoughts on this.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I awoke one day last week and felt the same. I had just been having some strange dreams though but I got an overwhelming feeling of surrealness. If such a word exists.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Id answer but im not sure this post is real
and thank you

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Perhaps you have become aware of the "now" that you exist, that everything isn't real, meaningless.

Peace

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The physical world is an illusion yes, you are correct. But you are a multi-dimensional being. When your body dies, you do not. If you meditate, and go within, you will find there is much more to you than you thought. It takes a bit of practice to do this, and because of that the ego makes up excuses on reasons not to do it. So you won't, so theres no point in me asking you to. however, I have posted this in other threads, it takes less than 30 seconds, and some egos still won't be bothered because it doesn't understand why it should bother trying. But sometimes curiousity gets the best of it and it tries it just to prove the experience wrong. So try this....

Take your hands, and put them in front of you. Place your left hand, palm facing you, and your right hand palm facing away from you. Your fingers do not have to be straight, they can be bent slightly. Now move your palms, so they are facing each other, about 3-5 inches apart. So you should have your left hand palm facing you, right hand palm away from you, about 4 inches apart. All you have to do, is close your eyes, and concentrate on the sensations in your palms. After 10 - 30 seconds, you should feel something. If you do not, move your right hand slightly in a circular motion, and see if you notice anything strange. I will not tell you what you will experience, because everyone experiences something different.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Define real, because everything is an illusion; color, texture, smell, sound, etc, are all illusions that our brains are able to pick up on and interpret a certain way. Reality, then, and what's "real," is ultimately an intimate exchange between you, the thinking and experiencing agent, and your brain, the receiving and perceiving agent.

I suppose that reality is like a GUI and the brain is a computer.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeeDee
Id answer but im not sure this post is real
and thank you

It isn't real. You are staring at energy that's been manipulated into looking like words on a website. If you suddenly shut off your computer, these words won't know that they no longer exist on your monitor.

WE are energy, and if our power source is suddenly shut off, we wouldn't know that we no longer exist in this field of whatever it is.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Then I suppose your assertion that "the universe isn't real" isn't real.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Now move your palms, so they are facing each other, about 3-5 inches apart. So you should have your left hand palm facing you,

If my palms are facing each other, how can the left one be facing me?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have felt that.... many times. Still do.

When I was a kid thoughts of who am I and what is my purpose was always going through my head.

As an adult the questioning seems to come with answers.

Knowing there are other realms of realities suggest there is more than this reality and everything is a- ok.

Light is where all the action is.
edit on 29-1-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
reply to post by jiggerj

Then I suppose your assertion that "the universe isn't real" isn't real.

Well, if my assertion isn't real, and if I am not real, and if the universe isn't real, then that would mean that the universe isn't real.
edit on 1/29/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When one examines the beliefs and teachings of many philosophers, one finds too often that they are reflections of the psychology of these people. The prime example is the existentialism of Jean-Paul Sartre, whose sense of the absurd, meaningless nature of life stems from post-war exhaustion exacerbated by a deep-rooted depression one could probably trace back to childhood. So personal idiosynchracies get elevated into outlooks on life which then sometimes get turned into academic philosophies. As long as logic is discarded whilst a philosophy reflects the state of the soul, discussion is not very fruitful. The unreality of life often is felt when one is moving towards a higher, as yet undefined, spiritual life - or as a stirring within the soul to make that movement. It is NOT a "philosophy" in itself.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Knowing there are other realms of realities suggest there is more than this reality and everything is a- ok.

Light is where its all the action is.

We don't know that there are other realms. What I feel in those moments of...?...clarity?...lies in your second comment. What happens when the light goes out?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If you "reply" to whatever term that you choose to label "everything that is" with that you are intriqued by that sensation/awareness/realization it will probably happen again and more frequently eventually. With larger and more "understandable" points being made.

Perhaps "perspectives being offered" is a better way to describe the "truths" that start to flood in once you've opened or had the door opened, rather than points. Because some of them will be contradictory in the same way a picture of the front of an elephant is contradictory to the picture of the back... yet still show a whole non-contradictory image if you can extrapolate what is in between the front and back picture.

The most important scientific research today SHOULD be on determining whether the universe is conscious. Because if it is... we would be better off learning to talk to it rather than bulldoze it.
edit on 29-1-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: "If" it is... bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
I still claim that the premise of a god is absurd, but as a seeker of truth I have to concede this point:

There have been moments in my life (they're actually microseconds, and one of these moments happened last night) when I've been hit with the sudden realization that this isn't real. In that blink of an eye I am hit with the fact that I am not real. The house I live in is not real. The planet, and the whole universe isn't real.

I equate it to a character trapped in a movie suddenly becomes aware that the movie isn't real. He feels compelled to continue on with the dialogue and the actions, but with a nagging sense that it's all for nothing.

I am not made privy to any curtain opening and revealing another realm behind it. I don't feel a hidden purpose or sense a deeper meaning to this life. It simply feels like we could all suddenly vanish and it wouldn't make one bit of difference to anyone anywhere.

For what it's worth, feel free to post your thoughts on this.

Shhh. Don't let others know this. This program created by the creator can be controlled if we ask the others for help. The others are the ones that intermingle with the program. Some call them Angels

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

That's a "Truman Show" moment for sure.

(I was paid to say that)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

As long as logic is discarded whilst a philosophy reflects the state of the soul, discussion is not very fruitful.

Thanks for your reply, micpsi. I wanted to add to my OP (but forgot to) is that I wasn't depressed at all when this moment hit me last night. Quite the opposite, I was having a smoke outside and daydreaming of how great it would be to have my daughter over for dinner and a game of cards. BAM! That's when it hit me.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I started to feel the same around my low to mid 30s.

I accepted early on-set of Midlife crisis as the reason.

en.wikipedia.org...

Midlife crisis is a term coined in 1965 by Elliott Jaques stating a time where adults come to realize their own mortality and how much time is left in their life.[1] A midlife crisis is experienced by many people during the midlife transition when they realize that life may be more than halfway over. Sometimes, a crisis can be triggered by transitions experienced in these years, such as andropause or menopause, the death of parents or other causes of grief, unemployment or underemployment, realizing that a job or career is hated but not knowing how else to earn an equivalent living, or children leaving home. People may reassess their achievements in terms of their dreams. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day-to-day life or situation, such as in career, work-life balance, marriage, romantic relationships, large expenditures, or physical appearance.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion
reply to post by jiggerj

If you "reply" to whatever term that you choose to label "everything that is" with that you are intriqued by that sensation/awareness/realization it will probably happen again and more frequently eventually. With larger and more "understandable" points being made.

Perhaps "perspectives being offered" is a better way to describe the "truths" that start to flood in once you've opened or had the door opened, rather than points. Because some of them will be contradictory in the same way a picture of the front of an elephant is contradictory to the picture of the back... yet still show a whole non-contradictory image if you can extrapolate what is in between the front and back picture.

The most important scientific research today SHOULD be on determining whether the universe is conscious. Because if it is... we would be better off learning to talk to it rather than bulldoze it.
edit on 29-1-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: "If" it is... bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Very interesting, Ergo! Though I'd like to point out that I didn't label anything as 'everything that is'. What I felt is 'everything ISN'T'.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

That's a "Truman Show" moment for sure.

(I was paid to say that)

I get half! Oh wait, if money is nothing, then I get half of nothing. Just my luck!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join