It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube forces users to link their account to gmail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I logged out of my youtube account for the first time in awhile and when I went to log in I was instructed to log into my google account (I never do) and to link my youtube account to my gmail. I will never log back into youtube again. I'm so disgusted by this policy. Judging by the comments on a youtube video about this new policy I'm not alone.

Youtube also instructs:

"Please note: If you link your YouTube Account to a Gmail Account you will not be able to change the email account with which your YouTube Account is associated/linked in the future. When you link a YouTube Account to a Gmail Account the Accounts are permanently linked and this cannot be undone.

They are gradually consolidating everything so that you will have no choices anymore on the internet. They will soon monopolize the entire internet. The internet is dead.

I don't want people to find my youtube. I don't want them to use my email address to search out my account. Bye bye youtube... I won't be back on my account. Time for someone to make a good alternative where we can remain anonymous and unlinked please.

FYI: Your posting history on youtube will now come up in a google search so watch what you say!

Hey Google, Don't be evil.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

YouTube is owned by Google, so none of this should really come as any kind of shock.

The idea of linking the gmail to the youtube is to have a single accross the board login for ease of use.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

There is no reason for Google to require me to link to a gmail account other than to plunder my data and track all my video choices and comments on YouTube.

On YouTube, I use a handle that has a handle based aol account -- I am anonymous. With Gmail, I have my real name... I do not want to link my real name to YouTube.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is nonsense.

Google doesn't force you to do anything. You can choose to use their services or not.

More whiny entitlement mentality.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Then your only option is to stop using it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. I watch youtube vids without being logged in so I don't see what your point is, maybe it is a geographical difference in policy?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

I'm talking about Youtube here. As I stated I won't be using youtube any longer.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Than don't use multiple services owned by the same conglomerate. It is from Google's perspective an ease of access issue. It's far less costly and efficient to have all users under one banner for services they offer and own, than to have them all seperate.

What you COULD do, is create a fake gmail account for your youtube and link it there. They aren't really forcing you to do anything and the privacy policy tools allow you to hide your comments and other things from public view.

I agree that google is sorta taking over the internet in that way, but what can you do when you have the power to buy vritually any company, at any time and integrate them into your already established network?

You can either go with the flow and allow the changes, or stop using the FREE service they offer.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Umm.. Like the other poster said. Google owns Youtube. The user databases are already integrated on their back end. They just made it convenient for the users on the front end.

*Same moment post.. lol err.. sorry ~tenth

edit on 8-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Well I enjoyed my private account. I have playlists and saved videos I enjoy that I can no longer access without compromising my privacy. I'm done with Youtube.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
When you are talking about Google, you ARE talking about YouTube and vice versa. They are one in the same as a company.

You can have a gmail and NOT link it to your youtube account, you can have a youtube account and NOT link it to your gmail account and you can choose NOT to use their free service.

I am perpetually stunned when people complain about things that they get for free.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As others have stated...Its just easier to use the same log in but you still have your youtube username. Its just a log in procedure. Pretty sure just the nature of how the internet works what you do is logged or else it would be like throwing a piece of paper up in the air and hoping it gets to the person you want it to.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well,
How else do you expect they will keep track of your activity
Connectivity.. stop resisting and obey

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by michael1983l

Well I enjoyed my private account. I have playlists and saved videos I enjoy that I can no longer access without compromising my privacy. I'm done with Youtube.

Just watch videos without signing in. All it means is you cannot comment on the videos and with the mentality of some of the people who do, Its probably a good thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Google's YT is just one video platform

There's Dailymotion have you tried them?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

I will be looking for an alternative that respects my privacy. I'm just upset about losing access to many years worth of videos and playlists, but it's not worth it to me to link.

Amazing how many of you are willing to let them track and link every single aspect of your life.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You don't have privacy whether you sign in or not. They must use you IP address.

I never had a you tube account and I don't sign into google. I posted about a few political issues a few years ago and I STILL get "recommended for you" videos about that subject. I erase my tracking cookies too.

What's the shocking part is these videos are only one side of the issue. So that side must have an in with you tube.

link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

Nothing is free. They are making lots of money off of their users. Without a huge user base Youtube would fail.

link   

For the record, Youtube has no idea what I had for dinner, who I voted for or whom I have seen naked.

They don't track every aspect of your life unless you link them (optional) and you use their free services.

You sound like you are suffering from some serious first-world problems "My free stuff isn't perfect enough for me!!!"

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by minnow

Amazing how many of you are willing to let them track and link every single aspect of your life.

I am not particularly happy about this aspect but I have grown weary of resisting it, mainly because I know it is a losing battle. If we wish to be part of society and not a marooned outcast in a faraday cage, then we are going to have to have some form of electronic connectivity with a wider network. Due to this, wether I like it or not I will always be able to be tracked, they will track me even if I ask not to be. So I have to make a choice, allow them to track me or maroon myself away in a state of paranioa. I figured that I have nothing to hide, so I decided to be passive about the whole situation.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

They don't track every aspect of your life unless you link them (optional) and you use their free services.

You sound like you are suffering from some serious first-world problems "My free stuff isn't perfect enough for me!!!"

I didn't link them, so how do they know what subjects I posted about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join