It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's 2013...Soon you can apply to colonize Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well there is no doubt in my mind that exploring our solar system and then other worlds is a logical conclusion. I would not want to be one of the first myself, but who knows, maybe before I die if I live long enough and technology advances fast enough.

Offtopic: This could be the thing that causes world peace, we could deport Piers Morgan and Alex Jones and then there may be world peace
j/k Now if only we could convince the world bankers of the financial aspects of them getting on rockets as well.

edit on 9-1-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I wonder how much real estate will be on mars. I wouldn't mind investing in an acre or two, now, before the demand gets too high. Then I can sell it

I've got a couple of thousands acres on Mars.
I can do you a sweet deal.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

This sounds terrible, I bet there's absolutely nothing there

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

better yet what will they grow ^^

i shall volunteer my hydroponics skills wink wink
1 small step for man , one giant leap for 4:20

on a serious note, i think i know where all those missing people will be found.............
edit on 9-1-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

why not , sorounded by people i cant stand now, sounds pretty cool so long as you could at least send messages back and forth, to keep updates on family and funerals and birts and what not... plus it would just be the start, as soon as the first lands you can bet there will be many lined up right after it.

not to mention you will go down in history for EVA

the cool factor alone is enough for me,

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
as i read through it more

"Because our mission is humankind's mission, we will make this a democratic decision. The people of Earth will have a vote which group of four will be the first Earth ambassadors on Mars."

this mission is already set to fail. rofl

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
how will they shield them self from the sun properly if they die we better not give up on leaving earth even though we be reckless and such

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

I agree. If nobody ever took risks then the America's nor Australia would ever have been colonized. (not saying thats a good thing, but I guess I'm implying it.. but what ever).

The first to colonize Australia lived in hellish conditions both on the boat on the way here and when here.

Sure on the boat there were would have been more than 4 people, but the conditions were so #ty that if you did a 'study' to see the psychological effects on the passengers you would find its not good.

That one of the passengers might get sad and have #ty sleep patterns is no reason no to attempt this feat.

The volunteers will likely be robust people who are at one with the prospect of death, eg they already have a grown up family).
I understand they will be targeting people in their middle ages as radiation will effect them less (ie they arn't growing, harmful effects of radiation don't set in for some time after exposure, the hope is they die of old age before the cancer gets them).

There is as i understand it, some possibility of coming back depending on the progress of the mission (the eventual plan is to build a launch ship on Mars, as making a space ship that can land then re launch is not economically feasible.. the return journey is sort of a pipe dream).

I wouldn't put my hand up for this at this stage in my life but probably if I was 20 years older. I'm sure out of the millions of people who would make good candidates many will apply.

Hopefully they will be the Columbus' of Earth and not abandoned due to insolvency lol.

What if ratings take a dive and it can't be funded? I assume it will be done through a limited liability company, thus if it runs out of money it will be put into administration and its assets sold.. Perhaps NASA would bail them out?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Send our Convicts, this worked for Australia.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by paulmac
Send our Convicts, this worked for Australia.

mouths to feed - thing is we probably don't need a lot of manual labor done on mars, most will be robotic. But I'd agree if we did for some reason need a lot of people on mars.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Nice thread thanks

This is something that really interests me

I believe we can do this but like earlier posters mentioned "why not a moon base" I too am curious, why go for the long jump before we have learned to run. I find it very strange but I am glad we are moving in this direction.

In the next 10 years our space programs are going to advance faster than ever before thanks to the private sector, maybe this is the reason NASA has decided on Mars..... to leave the moon for private sector maybe? Who knows I do find it strange to not start with the moon though, it could be just down to the fact that Mars has an atmosphere

And for the posters that think we could never survive on Mars here is 2 reasons of the top of my head why I think we can:

Urban Farming

One such indoor farm opened in September in Vancouver, growing lettuce and spinach inside an 8,000-square-foot warehouse using a hydroponic system that replaces dirt and weather with peat moss plugs and circulated water. High-efficiency LED lighting hits plants grown on stacked shelves.

Using this method we need nothing but what we could take with us, This idea has an amazing application here on Earth too

And this:

Plants in Space

The whole world has been working towards living in space for a while now, we have a good idea on how to grow foods and keep food in space including Poultry:

Apologies for the russian video

The only problem I see is the radiation, on Mars and getting there. Everything else we have in theory and practice pretty much covered. We wouldn't really need extra water either we'd just need to recycle, and as for energy? Nuclear or solar panels.... Solar panels are only getting better and in 9-10 years time we might even have newer better forms of creating electricity

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Anyone else notice the symbol at the bottom of the application site??

A Pyramid Symbol with LULZBOT written underneath???

Go check it.

As to the selection process.... I see that they already rule out anyone who has a slight MH problem! Not everyone with an MH problem are likely to cause trouble.... more likely those without any type of MH problems will be the ones causing trouble!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Anyone else notice the symbol at the bottom of the application site??

A Pyramid Symbol with LULZBOT written underneath???

Go check it.

I followed the link, LOLZBOT is the name for one of the 3D printers they'll be bringing with them to manufacture parts they'll need up there. They are also one of the sponsors of the program.

www.lulzbot.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Maybe I'm letting my imagination run away with me, but if there's a problem producing food after they arrive I imagine a horrific space version of the Donner party happening.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Time will be needed for some mass colonising of Mars, but, some small base there is not impossible in closer future. That is my opinion.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think that we should have a short story contest to bring out the best of the best and see what creative minds see this playing out as.

There will be full disclosure to all participants...

The faked photos from NASA will be debunked as the colonists find Mars teaming with life, of all kinds...

The humans discover upon arriving that earthlings were actually invited by the Martians...

The possibilities are endless!

I love it! If I was young would I go? Yes, it is something I would do as long as they choose hot looking astronauts...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

They will have little tablets to stick under their tongue if they need it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

That's an awesome idea! I'm sure the talented members of ATS could come up with some really interesting stories!
edit on 9-1-2013 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I liked how they chose people who know their inner self as well as their outer self, this means people of higher consciousness, meditators...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

One that would garner huge reading base! It could even be a selection process where the winning story becomes a spin off to a collaborative piece.

Get Masqua on board!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join