It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People Like Me Should Have Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There has been a lot of debate lately about why people should or should not be allowed to possess guns. Even though some would say that the laws should be changed due to MSM induced fear I say they are wrong. There are a few nutbags who go bonkers and cause hysteria, but the majority of gun owners are sane, responsible people who absolutely do not want to shoot anybody unless it's a shoot or die situation.

Several times I have used a gun for defense purposes without firing a shot. Last night was one of these instances. Just so happens I was up in the middle of the night getting a glass of water when I heard a vehicle on the side road next to my house. Mind you only elderly people live on that road and they are all in bed during that time, and it was too early for the newspaper guy. I looked out a window on that side of the house and saw an SUV stopped in the road in front of my husband's shop which faces the side road. I heard a loud noise and saw light coming from the kicked open door.

I made a decision: wait 20-30 minutes for the police who wouldn't arrive until the thief was long gone or handle it myself. I grabbed my 30-30 and called my pitbull and headed out the door. I circled around the other side of the house and came around from the back side of the shop to find the thief exiting the shop with his arms full of tools. When he saw the dog he froze in place not even seeing me yet. I yelled at Astro to sit and he sat about two feet in front of the guy- growling. I stayed about 20 feet back with my gun aimed at this guy and told him to drop my property, which he immediately did. I said that I had his license plate number and description of his vehicle and that if I ever saw him in my neighborhood again I would call the police AFTER I shoot him. This guy was sobbing and white as a sheet. I called my dog to me and he ran and sat in front of me facing the would be thief. I told him to get in his car, leave and never come back. He slowly shuffled sideways, facing me, with his arms up in the air until he reached his vehicle- gun aimed at him all the way. He slowly backed off of the side road and then pulled away.

It took me 20 minutes to board up the shop door and I had to take a butt chewing from my husband for not shooting the guy's tires out (he's out of town) but I feel good about what happened. Maybe that young man will think about how easily he could have lost his life or could have gone to prison and will think twice before he decides to rob someone again. Maybe he has a wife and kids at home who need him and he just made a mistake. Nobody was hurt, nothing was lost, and the guy definitely looked scared enough to turn over a new leaf. I've already talked to the neighbors, and apparently my house was his first stop as none of them had been broken into. I gave them a description of the guy and his vehicle so they will be watching for him- just in case. Personally I don't think he'll be back.

And that people is just one of the many reasons why people should retain their right to own guns. If I had just called the police the thief would have taken my husband's tools (and probably some of the neighbor's things too) and been long gone before the police ever left the station. He probably would never have been caught, and he surely would not have had the wits scared out of him. If I didn't have guns I would never have gone out there (HE could have had a gun) and he would have gotten away with it. As it stands I think he probably got scared enough not to try something so foolish again, and if he IS that foolish at least it won't be in this neighborhood.

Just in case you're wondering, if the guy had a gun and tried to get stupid -Yes, I would have shot him. I had the drop on him from the get go and would not hesitate to defend myself. I'm very thankful it didn't go that way, but I'm fully aware that it could have. It is my hope that he has learned his lesson from this incident and will refrain from such activity in the future. People make mistakes, I hope he learned something from his.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I fear the only lesson that the robber will get from this is that HE TOO should be armed next time.

Now the next person he robs will be a gun point.

Congrats!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The perp didn't make a mistake. He had made a decision. One that could have cost him his life.

I would recommend putting video surviellance on your shop. You shouldn't have let this guy go. Now he's free to do it to another.

Or maybe even you, out of revenge.

Lots of weirdos out there.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

So you didnt call the Cops even after it was over, but you would have Shot Him,because you had the "drop on him".

Ah Yes, Vigilante Justice, brings a tear to my eye.

Lets go Back to the OK Corral, and have Gunfights at Noon.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

If he was going to be armed he would have been armed last night. This was not a "home invasion" robbery, it was a sneaky "thief in the night" burglary. Just because someone would steal does not automatically mean he would murder, just like because someone owns a gun does not mean that they would kill someone.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hopefully the neighbors have guns too, so that in case there is a fire right next time, they will run out and decide in the darkness and chaos who the bad guy is and start shooting too.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by FirstCasualty

If he was going to be armed he would have been armed last night. This was not a "home invasion" robbery, it was a sneaky "thief in the night" burglary. Just because someone would steal does not automatically mean he would murder, just like because someone owns a gun does not mean that they would kill someone.

I admire your optimism and I hope your right. You did not have the intent to murder although you were armed and that may hold true for many armed robbers. He may not get a gun to murder, but maybe to be more successful at his exploits as well as to protect himself from others protecting their property. Then you have two people with guns on each other... potential for serious hazard...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

No, I didn't call the cops last night but called my uncle who is a cop this morning. He already has the guy's name and address. I don't want to press charges as sometimes young people make mistakes, but he will be receiving a "visit" and a "talking to" before this day is over and will know that he is being watched.

As far as "vigilante justice" if that's what I wanted I could have shot him last night and been within my rights. I don't want to shoot anyone, but if he would have made a move to shoot at me I would have defended myself and I don't feel bad about that.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It worked out well for you, I'm glad it had this Outcome.

What if there had been a 2nd guy on "watch' who was armed, and the fool with the tools ran away.

You would have shot him, been shot in return , and for what?

A armful of tools....

Anyway , the Gun Lobby will be here soon to lift you to their shoulders, they are looking for Martyrs.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yes, there are lots of weirdos, but as I told someone else the police already have his name and address and will be talking to him today. I don't want to ruin a young guy's life when a good scare may prevent him from doing something like that again. If he tries something like that again and somebody shoots him or he goes to prison at least I tried to give him a second chance. I know many people who pulled stupid stunts when they were younger who are really good people now because someone gave them a second chance.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

littled16, I commend you on not killing the idiot.
You showed courage and the will to protect what is yours. You also kept your wits about you and kept calm.
Excellent

You stated that you had the necessary information from his vehicle to make a report.
Not like the poster about 7 post above, you didn't call the police and crawl under your bed and Hide!
But if you had shot the want-to-be thief, he'd called you a Murdering American Gunslinger!

Ignore people that believe in Government intervention. All they can come back with are What if's like he just did.

You did good, keep using your head and thinking clearly, The What if poster must not of noticed you had your well trained dog with you, he would have warned you of another bad guy.

Edited to add: S&F for you having the nerve to come and post your experiences with us here, even though there are So Many Gun Haters Spouting Off B S. !

edit on 4-1-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

This story must be bogus because we all know (or at least we’ve heard enough times) that guns don’t prevent crime….they cause crime!

(end sarcasm)

Nice example of responsible gun ownership.
And you’re right, the vast majority of gun owners are sane, responsible people who absolutely do not want to shoot anybody unless it's a shoot or die situation. That guy is lucky…very lucky. I wish he would have been held at gun point in his soiled panties until the cops arrived but…..I think he learned a lesson.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I have to wonder where you live that you are so paranoid about people with guns? In my town we've only had one murder by gun in the past 25-30 years, and it was a jealous ex-husband. I don't live in the "city" where armed robbery and "home invasions" are the norm. The last armed robbery here was about 20 years ago.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You know... if he was armed it could have gone horribly wrong for you and your family...

Is it sensible to assume you have insurance for the shop? This is what insurance is for..... to pay when things get stolen.... this is also what the Police are for.... for dealing with criminals...

Your post is clearly advocating vigilante justice... something which frightens me...

The police are trained in dealing with situations like this..... the average citizen is not...

This is the point I cannot understand about the gun supporting lot.... if someone came ot rob me, tried to take my wallet or personal belongings... do you know what.. I would let them! It's only money.... only belongings... yeah, it's an annoyance... but I would rather give my stuff up and claim on the insurance than risk my life for a wallet, a car, or some tools.... you do realise that you risked not only yours, but your families lives with your actions.... he may now have a personal vendetta against you rather than the police... and again, you are not trained for dealing with this....

Material posessions are not worth dying for!!! I wish someone would tell America this.....

Of course. if you haven't got any insurance... then you're a fool....

PA

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
you are so paranoid about people with guns?
Actually , I'm not.
And I support the 2nd Amendment, but with a few tweaks to it.
You didnt need a gun that shot 200 rds a min to do what you did.
Im for handguns for home protection, and long guns for hunting.
Everything else is designed for 1 thing, killing humans quickly.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Good for you OP. Every action you took last night showed impeccable self-awareness and sensibility.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Thank you guohua! Yes, my dog would have warned me if anyone else was around- he's a well trained protector and obeys in an instant. I'm not worried about the gun haters here. If they want to watch idiots rob them blind while waiting for the police to arrive let them. When someone breaks into their house and they have to go hide under their beds they may rethink the whole gun ownership issue. Until then they can hate all they want to; no skin off my nose!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

It worked out well for you, I'm glad it had this Outcome.

What if there had been a 2nd guy on "watch' who was armed, and the fool with the tools ran away.

This is why law abiding citizens need high cap magazines (for when there’s more than one bad guy).

You would have shot him, been shot in return , and for what?

A armful of tools....

No not for tools, it would be because there was a second man with a gun threatening her life.

Anyway , the Gun Lobby will be here soon to lift you to their shoulders, they are looking for Martyrs.

As they should….we should all applaud responsible gun ownership.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My only criticism is that you should have called the police and had this guy arrested. Now he is still walking free to victimize others who are not as prepared to defend themselves as you are.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I applaud your courage and the outcome of your deeds. Everyone has to evaluate a particular situation as it is happening.
I probably would have done the same thing based on your description; However I am also cognizant that the individual you confronted might have had a pardner in the SUV working as a look-out or armed guard. Not picking on you please just a word of advice or a few thoughts to consider.

Call 911 with name and address; report what is transpiring. They want to talk to much hang up or put the phone on speaker phone and tell them to shut up and monitor; otherwise you will hang up. OK now the world knows you are the good guy/girl trying to protect your property.

The individual who decided he wanted to break and enter upon your shed or property has already made the decision that his wants and needs outweigh some outdated law on property rights or the "said" laws do not apply to him. He was not some 6 year old kid that needs a moms discipline at this stage of his corrupted life.

Yes you scared him and he was caught red handed.
However, many crooks learn from their mistakes so I am not placing odds on him never trying something like that again. Used to be a saying about choosing someone for a prison trustee position. It went something like "Once a thief always a thief".

I would have preferred you get the tag number and have the legal system/cops put a little more fear into reforming him or have him wait until the cops arrived..After he is captured another 20 times maybe he will be identified as a problem child......or like you said he was possibly scared straight by your actions?

"Honey could you come down to the police station and bail me out"? If he is married the wife may not know what kind of dirt-bag she is involved with. Either way he would not have spent much time involved in legal domestic entanglements and maybe just maybe if there is a wife she would have been more of a controlling factor for his future deeds.
Again I like happy endings and salute you for protecting your property. 30 30 got his attention no doubt

edit on 4-1-2013 by 727Sky because: position

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join