It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen legally known only as 'Girl' battles to use her own name

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Really?
Is this what we in the U.S. and Canada are headed for?
A government agency telling us what we can and cannot name our children.
Anyone else uncomfortable with the State having this much say in your personal life?
I have no idea if this is connected with the UN Agenda 21 or not but in my humble opinion this is just wrong.

I think the article is just about Icelands laws ... and they seem to be a very close knit community since ...

(from the article linked in the OP on pg1)

Given names are even more significant in tiny Iceland than in many other countries: Everyone is listed in the phone book by their first names. Surnames are based on a parent's given name. Even the president, Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, is addressed simply as Olafur.

So I think its a bit of a leap to ask those questions without you 1st providing evidence that there is some trend in the US and or Canada along the lines of Agenda 21 being implmented alone those legal naming convention lines.

Iceland can definately work out its own bereaucratic issues since the performed so well recently against TPTB and the robber barron banking cartels.

Can you please provide any specifics about Agenda 21 on the issue of parental rights and childrens rights?

Thanks.

However ...

Personal Disclosure: My 1st real world name is Peregrine ... and it has been a blessing and a boon and a curse and a burden and an obstical and a challange and a struggle and a sanctuary + many more qualities ... I have found my own way to bare that load and come to a resolute understanding ... what does not have a pro and a con that comes embedded in it?

How about some common sense and common decency lead the way!

Because I now invoke Godwins Law and bring/set/swing this thread to equal parity ...

Did you know that Hitler and Goering were both decorated WW2 US military Hero's! (by OmegaLogos posted on 20-9-2010 @ 04:57 PM) [ATS]

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: Yep! It's a FACT! Here is why...

WW2 US military decorated Hero: Hitler (purple heart!
) [wiki]

WW2 US military decorated Hero: Goering (earned rank of Captain!
) [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: So next time you hear or see something disparaging associated with either of those names, you now have the information that clearly goes to the contrary!

What is in a name?

A rose by any other name is but just as sweet methinks!

Maybe the parents 'intentions' on why they are naming the child 'xyandorz' (example only ok) ... should also be recorded for posterity! :shk:

For obvious reasons!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0

Hell no f the government
I have the right to name my child anything i want
Its MY CHILD not theirs.

Um no. You are their parent, thats all. The child belongs to themselves. Your duty is purely to equip your offspring with the skillsets, and knowlege it needs to manage their own affairs. At no point do you OWN the child. Its a person, not a belonging.

Part of being a parent is being responsible, and choosing an APPROPRIATE name for your child, not "anything you want". This whone "anything you want" attitude is what caused the entire situation to begin with.

Many European countries let you call your child whatever you want, with certail stipulations that if the registrar thinks the name is too unusual, or embarrassing for the child, they can ask you to justify it, or even outright reject it. Its amazing how often they have to invoke the outright rejection. Too many parents think a child is a toy or belonging, and pick names for humour value, to amuse themselves. Like you would name a pet.

Its a child ffs. That name will subconciously govern how people interact with it in later life.

Im not up for governments telling me what people can name children, but I do agree with them telling people what they can't name children, if the name is stupid or embarrassing.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris

Originally posted by CaLyps0

Hell no f the government
I have the right to name my child anything i want
Its MY CHILD not theirs.

Im not up for governments telling me what people can name children, but I do agree with them telling people what they can't name children, if the name is stupid or embarrassing.

Actually, the government can't stop you from naming your child what you want, no matter how embarrassing. All the government can do is not accept the name on their records, which is what happened in the Iceland case.

It's the government who is acting as if it owns the individual. The government has less claim to the individual than the parents, right?

Anyway, the fact that people even consider it remotely appropriate for some bureaucrats to decided if a name is ok or not is pathetic. It's not my business, or the government's, to give a seal of approval on what my neighbors call their children.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

Mods if this is in the wrong section pleas move.

Really?
Is this what we in the U.S. and Canada are headed for?
A government agency telling us what we can and cannot name our children.
Anyone else uncomfortable with the State having this much say in your personal life?
I have no idea if this is connected with the UN Agenda 21 or not but in my humble opinion this is just wrong.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

How the hell can you make this an issue?

We've had this rule for a long time in Denmark, and no one complains... no one sees this as a restriction, it does however put a focus on the morons giving their kids idiotic names because they want them to be "special".

Most often the people who do go for these "special" names are way down in the food chain consisting mostly of attention whores and white trash.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if there were rules or not regarding names. What a mess society would be if there wasn't rules, imagine parents calling their kids stupid names like Starchild Silvertray or some other bull#.

Seriously... get some focus in your life. This is a non-issue and that girl... well, she and her parents are part of the attention whore crowd.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Would I condone this in the US? Absolutely not! Our culture here, if one, is that we have no definitive culture of our own. The US would never be able to put together an acceptable list of names that would be inclusive enough, given our current social and political climate. Iceland, on the other hand, is a horse of a different color that cannot, in any way, be compared to the United States. It's culture is well defined and ingrained into their day to day life and I can't take umbrage with their government for having such laws. That said, I think it's unfortunate that a woman can't give her daughter a well thought out and beautiful, at least audibly if not legally sounding, name.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mademyself1984

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

It's bad enough that some parents name their children after cars or alcoholic drinks (Porche - Lambrini - Bailey), but I think if you're going to name you child something utterly stupid, then yes, I think the government should step in.

It's not about censorship, its about child protection.
I couldn't imagine ever being ok with sending my kid to school with a name like "Game Boy" or "Field" or even "Monoxide" (FFS...) that is just messed up.
Its an act of protection for the kids against their dumbass parents.

If you want to give a kid a cute messed up nickname, be my guest. Don't make their legal name something you wouldn't say in front of your grandma, or something you can't pronounce upon looking upon how it's spelt.

The actor Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspecktor. If I grew up with that name, I would sue the clothes off his back.

There was also the couple in America who named their child Dovahkiin so they could get loads of free stuff from the video game company when Skyrim came out... imagine naming your child something ridiculous just so you could get free stuff....

edit on 3-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

Sorry....but I'm pretty sure the name Bailey doesn't come from an alcoholic beverage. Horrible argument.

So you're going to disregard an entire argument because you haven't heard of Baileys? Well done *slow clap*

Since you're not from the UK, I wouldn't expect you to know the kind of crap names some of the idiots over here call their children.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It should be the parents choice to name their child...it can be changed when the kid grows up if they dont want it. I think there are more serious regulations around the new baby in the UK. Birth registration being the ultimate. "Registering your birth is important as its your childs access to society" That sentense worries me.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by aspiechick
I cannot see this becoming an issue in most countries. Please remember Iceland is tiny, with a very small population. I can understand why they want Icelandic sounding names, however I cannot understand why this particular girls name is refused (although it's a "male" name) and Elvis is being permitted.

Quoting myself here, but just had a thought about why her name is not allowed, with it being "male". As mentioned, girls get their surname from the mothers, so I guess it wouldn't make much sense if her surname came from something male.

(If parents are named Jane and John, daughters would have the surname Janesdaughter, and sons the name Johnson... a male "item" is for example Bjorn, as in the Abba guys name, but it also means "bear", so a girl wouldn't be called Bjorn, and subsequently there would be no daughters called Bjornsdaughter... if that makes any sense)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

edit on 4-1-2013 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
name girls in ussr propoganda or dazdraperma(DAZDRAvstvuetPERvoeMAya) Long live first May Day

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
name girls in ussr propoganda or dazdraperma DAZDRAvstvuetPERvoeMAya Long live first May Day

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
name girls in ussr propoganda or dazdraperma DAZDRAvstvuetPERvoeMAya Long live first May Day

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I do think there should be limits on some names deliberately abusive or humiliating, but otherwise, whatever. The PP who's name is Peregrine, that's pretty awesome. Peri/Perry for the nickname works like a charm, but Peregrine sounds just straight-up strong & noble.

Has anyone heard of little Pandora Astraea Radagast Annextiomarus Dalía Ondine Xeziriq Amethyst L., otherwise known as P.A.R.A.D.O.X.A.L in some online forums?

That blog hasn't been active for several years, but the kid & name are very real. I've always been curious to know WTF the parents were thinking naming her that particular string of names.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
greetings

i'm in iceland at the moment -I spend about half the year here and have done for the last 7 years.

The article paints an inaccurate picture: "In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register...". Suggesting that the country is state-dominant and that citizens "don't question" what the article purports to set out as state interference is complete nonsense.

Iceland is obviously a very small country with little over 300,000 inhabitants. They are very proud of their culture and all wish to preserve it as much as reasonably possible -including the language, names and naming system. The purpose of the names list is to preserve the use of traditional names and I have never met one person who does not completely support it -to suggest it's the result of state interference is complete rubbish -it's the will of the people -something that the relatively minimal icelandic government is very good at listening to.

edit on 4-1-2013 by Bitsumishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mademyself1984

It's bad enough that some parents name their children after cars or alcoholic drinks (Porche - Lambrini - Bailey), but I think if you're going to name you child something utterly stupid, then yes, I think the government should step in.

It's not about censorship, its about child protection.
I couldn't imagine ever being ok with sending my kid to school with a name like "Game Boy" or "Field" or even "Monoxide" (FFS...) that is just messed up.
Its an act of protection for the kids against their dumbass parents.

If you want to give a kid a cute messed up nickname, be my guest. Don't make their legal name something you wouldn't say in front of your grandma, or something you can't pronounce upon looking upon how it's spelt.

The actor Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspecktor. If I grew up with that name, I would sue the clothes off his back.

There was also the couple in America who named their child Dovahkiin so they could get loads of free stuff from the video game company when Skyrim came out... imagine naming your child something ridiculous just so you could get free stuff....

edit on 3-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

Sorry....but I'm pretty sure the name Bailey doesn't come from an alcoholic beverage. Horrible argument.

So you're going to disregard an entire argument because you haven't heard of Baileys? Well done *slow clap*

Since you're not from the UK, I wouldn't expect you to know the kind of crap names some of the idiots over here call their children.

I have heard of Bailey's.....and the name Bailey is not derived from it....

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I suppose you could try to register a childs name as 'f--k b-----d w----er n-----r' and see how far you'd get as there will be certain rules covering basic naming conventions

Oh dear *wipes the tears of laughter from my eyes* That was funny and much needed...

Just imagine too that both parents have Tourettes syndrome at the time of the childs christening!?

Still chuckling here

Kindest respects to all

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
With a small and dwindling population Iceland and some other scandinavian countries needs to do whatever it can to hold onto its cultural identity and not become "Americanised" like British naming conventions slowly are. It works for Iceland. It wouldn't work for the US. Different cultures so don't judge or compare.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Oh dear, i am crap!!!

In my last post i was replying to Maxatorias comment and copy pasted her phrase before my comment.

Somehow i got it wrong as wanted her phrase to be quoted

Many apologies Maxatoria

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bitsumishi

The purpose of the names list is to preserve the use of traditional names and I have never met one person who does not completely support it -to suggest it's the result of state interference is complete rubbish -it's the will of the people

Will of the people or not, it is still state interference, tough. Not saying that is apriori a bad thing, just call a spade a spade.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Just for fun i thought i would add this list of names for you all to have a look at and ponder on how parents think at the time of naming baby :

monkeyfilter.com...

I especially feel sorry for IMA HOGG the daughter of the Texas Govenor

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join