It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen legally known only as 'Girl' battles to use her own name

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This story reminds me of the country song " Hello. my name is Sue" and the Hogg family in Texas. I would have to agree that your name does shape your destiny in one way or another. It does have an effect on your character at least. Maybe good, maybe bad. I have to wonder if " Girl" is on their list of accepted names though. Are they breaking their own laws by naming her " Girl " ? Anyway, the story of the Hogg family is interesting. Here is a link if you would like to read about them.

Texas legend has it that James Stephen Hogg, Governor of Texas from 1890 to 1894, named his daughters Ima and Ura, but that is only half-true: there never was a Ura. Ima had three brothers, Will, Mike, and Tom. Ima Hogg, who was born in 1882 and died in 1975 at age 93, became a legend in her own right, and this book is her story. It is also the story of the extraordinary bond between a father and a daughter.

www.tshaonline.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reminds me of the story I heard about the girl named Sh!thead... pronounced Sh!th-eed.

regardless of how you want to pronounce it, its #head

profanity censor prevents actually spelling out the name, but its still sad that someone would name their child that...
edit on 6-1-2013 by kalisdad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Why do you keep posting the loser case? You can´t compare it to S h i * p i e. It doesn´t work.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I see no problem with it at all, It stops idiots calling their kids stupid names that they will only change anyway when they are older.

It has happened in the States too, for other reasons to.

While I may agree that some parents give their children ridiculous names, and I rather dislike a number of these "unique" names, I find it extraordinarily disturbing the level of unethical and unwarranted government control some of you claim to be comfortable with.

It's funny-- when I was younger I used to wonder how we had seemed to lose so many liberties since the founding of this country... and seemingly more to come (or go, as the case may be). But that, of course, was many years before I started reading posts here.

So I ask you: who is dumber? The parents who would name their children stuff like "Moxie Crimefighter" or "Trixabell whatever," for their own reasons... or people who would agree with, neigh, advocate greater government control and loss of freedoms just because they dislike someone else' name.....?

It's stuff like this which makes me think the biggest (and most basic unit of) human folly is the notion that anyone has, or should have, the right to dictate what others can and can not do. (Providing no one else is truly harmed, or their own free will massively interfered with in the process.) Humans, to me, often seem like a bunch of bossy know-it-alls. What makes you think your way is best, or worse, "right?"

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

UPDATE
She won her case.
news.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
While I do think that people should think of their children before giving them stupid names I in no way think that it is the governments right to step in if they don't like it. That is unless it is something considered an obscenity that cannot be used in public places.

While it may be easy to say yes, let the government protect the children from stupid parents we all know from history that governments never stop once the door is open. If we allow them the right to essentially name our children then the next thing we know we will have mandated dress codes, etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join