It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the gun rights people want silencers for their weapons.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sound suppressors are quite normal to own in the UK if you have a legitimate reason to have one, I.e hunting. It makes perfect sense to have a suppressor to protect your hearing while still having the ability to hear what is going on around you. It also cuts down the amount of disturbance to the surrounding area.

The only people who tend to have a problem with this product are the ones who watch too much TV and think firearms are only for killing people.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN...I'm too old for a combat extraction!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sounds very much like a kind of strawman. Someone who actually is antigun starts making a lot of noise pretending they're advocating silencers so it creates a stink where there otherwise wouldn't be one and also makes the pro-gun crowd look bad.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

NavyDoc
You are being silly. Silencers are not regulated in Europe. You can buy them off the shelf, no license required in England and Scandinavia.

Europe is a large and diverse place with each country having its own laws. Take a look at the laws in each country there and you will find that silencers are unregulated, lightly regulated, highly regulated or prohibited for civilians.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

JBA2848
The oil can adapter passed by the ATF. OK good to go the ATF said it was OK.

The ATF did no such thing. That adapter is either a silencer part or it is not a silencer part. The ATF only cares if it is a silencer part.

JBA2848
But that video top video posted by ASM is open for law suits from Fram not for the Adapter they sell but for the improper use of a Fram product being used in that video.

When the filter is mounted on the adapter and shot the first time, it is no longer an oil filter but a silencer part subject to the controls of the NFA of 1934

JBA2848
Is the oil filter that company promoted to be used as a silencer for a weapon been tested and approved for that kind of use? Seems Fram could be held reliable in some way if it did explode.

Fram is not liable because they are not making silencer parts.

JBA2848
Did ATF give oil filter makers such as Fram a blanket immunity from law suits that they gave the gun manufacturers? If not they could be in trouble. And the ATF never gave blanket immunity for using products of other companies in a advertising video.

Giving anyone blanket immunity for anything is beyond their authority

JBA2848
Fram has a law suit for using and promoting there product in a unauthorized way by ASM in that video. Some of the other oi filters used besides Fram that I see them using STP and Case. Could be a real hammer to get hit by with so many large corporations with law suits? Would be strange oil companies after gun makers?

I couldn't find anything about a lawsuit by Fram, got a link?

JBA2848Look at insurance policies for your house. They have the right to send in inspectors to your house to make sure it passes there standards.

No such right. they can only inspect if authorized by the policy holder and property owner.

JBA2848
And if it came to gun insurance they could check and require your house to have gun safes, security systems, video surveillance and anything else they wanted.

Once again of if the policy holder agrees to it in the policy

JBA2848
Deny you policies because some one in the house has a mental condition and not the person with a fire arm. Cancel your policy without notice like they do with car insurance and report at the same time to the government who can then show up at your house to confiscate illegal weapons.

Its a free country, they can do as they please as long as they aren't breaking the law.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Lol , The Pine Barrens are A Might Tee Big Place .............

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Blah,Blah,Blah........Guns are bad.......Blah,Blah,Blah.

Look around how many people own guns? Are they just going to give them all up? Is it written in the Constitution the right to have guns?

Progressives can cry themselves a river over gun control and at the end of the day the 2nd will stand the test of there collective tears.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

What the hell ? Am I the only who knows how to
silence your weapon with a baby bottle nipple.
Just cut a hole big enough for the bullet to pass
thru. And you can can get quite a bit of suppression.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by JBA2848

What the hell ? Am I the only who knows how to
silence your weapon with a baby bottle nipple.
Just cut a hole big enough for the bullet to pass
thru. And you can can get quite a bit of suppression.

Actually I think you will get quite a bit of suckage instead. A silencer suppresses noise by providing a space for gases to expand and cool, a nipple does none of that. It is legal to register a nipple as a silencer and use it on a firearm, care to show us how well it works?

Which brings us to another question. If a nipple works so well and is so compact, why are people spending hundreds of bucks to purchase a real silencer? Probably because a rubber nipple sucks as a silencer.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranb40

It does work, exactly as I said. And your better argument would be to
simply say, that a baby nipple will obviously be lacking in quality.
I wouldn't compare but they do work. I hope you're not upset ?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

You are being silly. Silencers are not regulated in Europe. You can buy them off the shelf, no license required in England and Scandinavia. They are considered polite to use and as a hearing safety precaution. You hysteria stems from watching too many movies, methinks.

Actually in the UK sound suppressors have to be applied for and registered on the same way as a section 1 firearm. In essence they are regarded in the same light as a firearm with the same restrictions in ownership. However they are pretty easy to get on your license if you hunt.

They are certainly not held as the evil devil incarnate that many on here seem to believe them to be.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

randyvs
I hope you're not upset ?

Not upset at all. I just don't believe a thing you say about this issue.

If you are unwilling to provide the slightest bit of evidence that they will suppress a firearm, then you should not be making the claim.

Ranb
edit on 31-12-2013 by Ranb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ranb40

If you are unwilling to provide the slightest bit of evidence that they will suppress a firearm, then you should not be making the claim.

You are correct. But I'm not making a claim. I'm stating a fact and the truth as know it to be.
If you don't believe me I don't care. It isn't that hard to test what I'm saying.

If you even own a firearm?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by Ranb40

You are correct. But I'm not making a claim. I'm stating a fact and the truth as know it to be.

Actually you are making a claim; a totally bogus one at that. I think you have no rational reason to actually believe that a nipple can provide "quite a bit of suppression"..

randyvs
If you don't believe me I don't care. It isn't that hard to test what I'm saying.

The irony is that you are telling the forum something that is not credible and seem to be unwilling to prove it even though it is not hard to test.

randyvsIf you even own a firearm?

Why yes I do. I'm a former FFL and have been collecting, designing and making firearms for over 20 years. Stop by at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club someday and you can shoot any of them. I can even show you my ID and registration forms for the firearms I made.

Here is a video showing some of the firearms I own/made. Give me a call sometime.
www.youtube.com...

Randy Bragge
Belfair, WA
(360) 440-5889

edit on 31-12-2013 by Ranb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranb40

Then I don't understand you're problem with what I'm telling you.
I'm not going to make a vdeo and post on you tube so I cqan prove
something to you. And it's kind of unreasonable for you ti ask, when
you have firearms at the ready. And nipples aren't hard to come by at all.
I think you'd bve surprized at the results.With a .22 or a. 25 pistol for sure.
And thanks for the invite I promise not show with out my nipples.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Why even buy a suppressor when you can make or purchase an econo can. Basically a suppressor made out of an oil filter. Works like a dream.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Okay... you guys are kind of freaking me out with all this nipple talk... I was a bottle baby myself... winks

Anyway silencers good, bad... who cares... I totally want one and not just anyone...
did you guys know SIG now sells their own line and they sell for less than half the price of other brands?

Yup this is a clear case where I don't need one, but I sure as hell want one!
edit on 31-12-2013 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

randyvs
Then I don't understand you're problem with what I'm telling you.

The problem is that you are trying to pass off a stupid BS claim as the truth.

randyvsI'm not going to make a vdeo and post on you tube so I cqan prove
something to you.

You don't have to. You can use math to show how well the tiny amount of expansion volume (compared to the usual siezzed silencer) in the nipple can result in the effective suppression you claim. You could also give us the name of a recognized expert in the field of firearm noise suppression.

randyvsAnd it's kind of unreasonable for you ti ask, when you have firearms at the ready. And nipples aren't hard to come by at all.
Nipples are easy to come by. But I am unwilling to pay the $200 tax to the BATFE and wait 11 months for approval to test a silencer design that I am certain will fail

randyvsI think you'd bve surprized at the results.With a .22 or a. 25 pistol for sure.

NOt likely. I think there would be no noticeable suppression at all.

randyvsAnd thanks for the invite I promise not show with out my nipples.

When can I expect you to show?

Ranb

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

GuidedKill
Why even buy a suppressor when you can make or purchase an econo can. Basically a suppressor made out of an oil filter. Works like a dream.

Here is why. Compared to a 22lr can (1x6 inches) or a 223/308 can (1.5x8 inches) it is large and bulky. Try shooting it on a rifle equipped with sights, it will block them. While it is a simple matter to replace the oil filter once it burns up, the unlicensed owner can't do it. The filter has the same serial number as the adapter and must be replaced by a FFL/SOT class 2 then sent back to the owner.

Much nicer to make or pay for a steel or aluminum silencer instead in my opinion.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

HardCorps
did you guys know SIG now sells their own line and they sell for less than half the price of other brands?

www.gunsandammo.com... Says about $500 to $800, not sure which ones they are talking about though. Those prices are comparable to YHM cans. yhm.net...

I make my own on the ATF form 1; cost is $40 to $80 plus the $200 tax. My 50 bmg can will be over $200 for material though.

Ranb

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join