It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens - Aliens and Cover Ups S05E02

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I propose a thot:

IF TPTB (ominous anachronism) actually knew something of value to the human race which would be more likely?

A-the general populace already knows the truth but smoke and mirrors cause us to be at each others throats over Venus Zombie Nazi Chemtrails videos.
B-The Powers that be (still ominous, and BS) have successfully managed to keep mind/soul/ethics altering information from Every One

?????

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by MrMasterMinder

You never really know how you will react in a situation until it happens, you can do studies and survey's all you want but until it really happens you never really know.

I understand your point, "you never really know". However, history has plenty of examples of how people react irrationally when posed with an [ alien ] ( i use that term with a tongue-in-cheek reference), idea or purported reality.

Example:
"The War of the Worlds hoax was effective at fooling audiences because it created mass hysteria."

iml.jou.ufl.edu...

And described here a little more. Enough proof to make an educated guess that the masses of the world would probably flip-out to SOME degree with hysterical panic to ensue.

"The first two thirds of the 60-minute broadcast were presented as a series of simulated news bulletins, In the days following the adaptation, however, there was widespread outrage and panic by certain listeners, who had believed the events described in the program were real."
en.wikipedia.org...(radio_drama)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

I would have to say a and 1/2. I think the population is given the information, disseminated through the media, but that the government maintains more control by denying existence of other beings.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

"The War of the Worlds hoax was effective at fooling audiences because it created mass hysteria."

Hearing that people are being burned to a crisp by huge machines stomping around the countryside would tend to do that.
edit on 12/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Hearing that people are being burned to a crisp by huge machines stomping around the countryside would tend to do that.

Hi Phage, love your stuff BTW.
However, your response, I believe, echo's part of what was being discussed in this thread. Which was whether or not the public at large could handle the "truth" if it were, that, alien space craft were headed to earth. (as stated by)

Originally posted by KrzYma

Originally posted by MrMasterMinder
"if we were to know the truth society as we know it would collapse"

I'm not really sure the society wouldn't collapse!
Of course it depends how the MSM would "teach" the consumers about it.

If they say for example they have discovered fossils of bacteria on mars, that's not a problem for anyone
But if they would just make a breaking story of some alien ships approaching the Earth.... well... I see chaos

In my replies, I am simply speculating, based upon the Brookings report (stated earlier) and the chaos from the War of the Worlds hoax..................

.............that, if something of the magnitude of Alien space ships were headed our way, a good guesstimation of worldwide panic would ensue.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

if something of the magnitude of Alien space ships were headed our way, a good guesstimation of worldwide panic would ensue.

Especially if they started burning people to a crisp. I think you missed that point about the War of the Worlds broadcast. It was an invasion, not "disclosure".

Yes, I know about the Brookings report.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes! But!! It was a 'hoax' Invasion.....and look at the panic it caused. The question is? Would 'real' Disclosure bring on world chaos and/or mass hysteria? If a hoax can, surely the real thing would.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

A real invasion? Yeah, I bet it would cause a lot of panic.
Not sure a confirmed ET signal or the discovery of ET artifacts would have the same effect though. That's what the Brookings report was about and it drew no conclusions about how it would affect people, just speculation.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItDepends

Originally posted by KrzYma

I'm not really sure the society wouldn't collapse!

But if they would just make a breaking story of some alien ships approaching the Earth.... well... I see chaos

Well actually, back in 1960 (granted attitudes have changed over the last 50+ years), the Brookings Institution was commissioned by NASA to prepare a study of Human reactions if some type of Alien life was found during our early days of Space Exploration. Attached is a quote from part of the report entitled: "Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs

"Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs does suggest that contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life (or strong evidence of its reality) could have a disruptive effect on human societies. Moreover, it does mention the possibility that leadership might wish to withhold evidence of extraterrestrial life from the public under some conditions."

The summary of the report can be found in a number of locations, here is one>>>>> en.wikipedia.org...

So, perhaps it wouldn't be so far-out,
to believe if TPTB really came across something 'out-of-this-world' they may very well keep it from us for as long as they could.

A study from the 60's?

Gee, have you found any studies from the 60's concerning gay marriage or interracial marriage?

Do ya think society has changed since the 60's?

Harte

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A real invasion? Yeah, I bet it would cause a lot of panic.

Agreed

Not sure a confirmed ET signal or the discovery of ET artifacts would have the same effect though.

Agreed

That's what the Brookings report was about and it drew no conclusions about how it would affect people, just speculation.

Agreed, No conclusions (how could they, no proof),
however, IF there was proof, it stated: ".....The implications of a discovery of extraterrestrial life," which examines the potential implications of such a discovery on public attitudes and values. ........and its effects on public attitudes, does suggest that contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life (or strong evidence of its reality) could have a disruptive effect on human societies.

Including study of the question of how leadership should handle information about such a discovery and under what circumstances leaders might or might not find it advisable to withhold such information from the public."
edit on 29-12-2012 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

edit on 29-12-2012 by ItDepends because: sentence restructure

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You don't have the quote quite right and it does make a difference.

Continuing studies to determine emotional and intellectual understanding and attitudes -- and successive alterations of them if any -- regarding the possibility and consequences of discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life.

Historical and empirical studies of the behavior of peoples and their leaders when confronted with dramatic and unfamiliar events or social pressures. Such studies might help to provide programs for meeting and adjusting to the implications of such a discovery, Questions one might wish to answer by such studies would include: How might such information, under what circumstances, be presented to or withheld from the public for what ends? What might be the role of the discovering scientists and other decision makers regarding release of the fact of discovery?

Yes, it recommends studies. A study which recommends more studies. Including a study of the impacts of the Mercury program.

Present public knowledge and expectations about and underlying attitudes toward, the Mercury program and the astronauts. These should be continuing studies so that the impact of events can be anticipated, evaluated, and planned for.
We seem to have survived the Mercury program without a total collapse of our values.

I think far too much importance is placed on a single section of the Brookings Report by some UFO "researchers"
www.nicap.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I enjoyed the episode, especially the probing of the Vatican and such, and the Rendlesham elements weren't bad either, hopefully useful to newcomers. The topics reminded me of some personal connections and it's got me thinking about Hy Brasil again and my own sightings.

Does anyone remember that expedition to the North Pole on some Russian icebreaker for wealthy UFO enthusiasts a few years back? I don't think it happened, but I now think we should do a budget version of that to the co-ordinates from the Rendlesham witness (it's only 100 miles off Ireland, no ice either!) - could make a fantastic USO and night vision investigation for some, and just a pleasant trip to sea for others

On topic with cover ups though, the episode gave me some new lines of inquiry. Granted, not many, but this episode seemed less preachy and more fact driven which I enjoyed. It also made me wonder why people don't heist the Vatican library. And then I ended up thinking of a neat idea for a tv series about a group of heist people who rob paranormal artifacts in an effort to reveal the truth. Has that been done?

Ultimately - I guess just thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I was always a huge fan of the ancient alien series until I watched that ancient aliens debunked video. The history channel really had me going because, well, I just wasn't informed enough to know better. I still enjoy watching the show because its entertaining. Haven't watched this episode yet. I hope its better than the season opener.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage, for the complete document. I agree with your points.
Again, though, the earlier question/statement posed by KrzYma was "...But if they would just make a breaking story of some alien ships approaching the Earth.... well... I see chaos", I believe is the inevitable outcome.
And in the report you attached, there was concern or at least an understanding that:

"........This report, therefore, does not attempt to predict what
will happen to society as a result of space activities. Rather, it poses
questions about what might happen and specifies contingent factors
which may affect the likelihood of one implication being realized rather
than another,
5. Certain potential products or consequences of space activities imply such
a high degree of change in world conditions that it would be unprofitable
within the purview of this report to propose research on them. Examples
include a controlled thermonuclear fusion rocket power source and face-to-
face meetings with extraterrestrials."

In any event, I do appreciate the complete report you provided.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

ummm, I think I made that point very clear in my first sentence....."Well actually, back in 1960 (granted attitudes have changed over the last 50+ years),...."

I'm sure plenty has changed since 1960..

However, staying on topic. the question is "would there be mass world hysteria, if it were announced via MSM, that Alien Ships were approaching earth?"

A few of us think "YES" and I simply cited a known document, yep, from 1960, from a respected source which was commissioned by NASA.

If you know of a more recent study/report by a credible source, such as the Brookings Institution, then I would love to see it. Especially if it disagreed with the premise: "Mass hysteria.....If real Disclosure was made...."

Regarding your other two 'concerns', they are off-topic, perhaps you would like to begin a new thread on those and espouse your wisdom on those??

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by asinapi1
I hate the line that is always used saying that the "fabric of society" or our "foundations" would be rocked to the core if such and such would be revealed. Sounds so stupid.

this show sucks. i liked it better when it was a book called chariots of the gods!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

This the openiong statement of theis episode and the basis behind many conspiracy theories about 'aliens' but in reality this is just not true. Its a premise presented by people who want to feed you lies about alien visitation.

Many studies and polls have been done over the years about this subject and for the most part they all say that sociaty would be fine. One 3rd of the population belive in visiting aliens anyway and a larger percentage belive theres life out there somewhere in the universe. NASA and other agencies spend billions to look for life, every thime they even find the smallest hint of a possibility of life its all over the front pages of the news papers and makes headlines on the news.

So there would be no collapse and thus no need for a conpiracy of silence. So when yuou hear someone say "if we were to know the truth society as we know it would collapse" they are either naive or about to spin you a whole bunch of BS about cover ups and MIB type scenarios.

edit on 29-12-2012 by MrMasterMinder because: (no reason given)

So, from reading this and other posts in this thread by you... You believe that the whole idea that our civilization cannot handle aliens is just a trick used to fool people into believing that the government is covering up info about UFOs and or aliens, which they are not?

So, the following scenario makes sense to you...

Tom: "Yeah man, the government is covering up the existence of aliens."

Bob: "How do you know?"

Tom: "Well just think, if they told us the truth, civilization would collapse."

Bob: "Zomg you're right!!! I am now another UFO coverup believer thanks to your preferred method of explaining it. Yep, that covers everything!"

I mean, really?

Did you consider that some people believe this because of what happened after the airing of War of the Worlds on the radio? There was mass calamity that day for your information! Oh no, those people are just trying to trick you into a coverup! Right?

Maybe some people say it because they really believe it.

And by the way, wake up and smell the ectoplasm, there really IS a coverup... I think. (unlike you who seems to know without a doubt that there is not. By the way how long did it tale you to get the security clearance to oversee every governmental department in real time?) How many documents have been released that were kept under wraps for decades, while there was a COVERUP regarding that certain information. Now we know that there were tons of sightings reported.

I suppose that they figured we weren't ready to know how many other people were actually having sightings. Now we already knownthere are tons of sightings year after year thanks to the internet. So some govenments have since released tons of reports from long ago that you can read through.

In the future, they will probably release more, but it will be stuff we mostly already know by then. They tell us stuff when they think we are ready. Look at the recent Falklands War revelations. There's all kinds of coverups going on.

Oh and there is still PLENTY of reason for a conspiracy of silence even if you don't believe UFO knowledge will collapse society!!! What's the matter with you?? I could think of a zillion and one reasons so I'm not even goiossing to bother naming a few possible ones, since I don't want to imply that they are the most likely out of the multitude of possibilities...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
what did everyone think about the binary code message at the end?

the coordinates from the message point to a place in the sea, SW of britain

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Or could it be, as some ancient alien theorists contend, that they've run out of ancient and are now focussing purely on aliens?

Not enough Childress this week for my likings either

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkuzzleButt

Haven't reached Se5 as I already said but if it is about the Binary Code from Rendlesham Forest incident, the one decoded by a PC engineer and then saying ;Exploration humanity; - well... does the episode bring anything new because this part of the Rendlesham forest is the least believable and I am not sure one should trust the story pf those two guys.

<< 1    3 >>

join