It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

No, "Doc", that is what you inferred. HUGE difference.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

nono see in the modern world making more money does not always mean hiring more people regardless of whether or not you like it things are becoming more and more automated
so what is going to happen when business owners have no need for employees (or a very small need for employees)?

and regardless of taxes its going to be cheaper to work over seas (the labor is simply cheaper and we can not and should not compete with those conditions)
now if money is leaving your economy when people purchase products produced in other countries you are going to need to find out a way to get money back into your economy .....and the only way to do that is through taxation and so it becomes a cyclical problem

the way to fix this problem is to give tax incentives to businesses operating domestically and raise taxes on those working over seas (the issue here is every time someone introduces a bill to raise taxes on businesses working overseas the republicans filibuster and will not allow a vote on it)
and because you have people paying less in taxes because they are getting paid very little or can not find work because most of the jobs have been exported the only way to raise revenue for things like SS and medicare is to raise the taxes

and you are right it is all about profit for business but how has that been working out for the populace of the united states in this new world of global markets?
edit on 11-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
and you are right it is all about profit for business but how has that been working out for the populace of the united states in this new world of global markets?

Ask the progressives we've had in office for the past decade or so.

They've been more anti-American than the taliban!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

and you just keep on keepin on with the parents provide -0- service BS.
go ahead and that's what you're gonna get.

don't notice it already ??
heck, i've been watching it grow for about 15yrs now ... go ahead, water that seed, i dare ya.

no, it's laughable and embarrassing to have any human equate sustenance with SERVICE.
that ^^^ is beyond sad.

sounds like the Mastas of ole' ... got a whip handy ?
food stamps is not "getting paid funds" ... funds can be used for ANYTHING, food stamps cannot.

and you're gonna knock my logic ?? yeah, ok ... go for it grasshopper.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

ok thats some fun colorful rhetoric but can you maybe address the substance of my post and not cherry pick the one bit you can reply to with a "witty" quip

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

because (as stated on pg 11), their altruistic nature of subsidizing farmers to destroy their crops is what made expanding food stamps necessary in the first place.

it had nothing to do with lazy ppl ... but SURPLUS farm production.
fix that and the rest will take care of itself.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by NavyDoc

again, link it or quit with your BS cause that's all you've got apparently.

Because you sad it with your "don't know what it is like" crapola
and for the record, you didn't live my life so you don't know what it's like, do you ?

thanks for proving a non-existant point anyway

i responded to what you wrote and that indicated exactly what the response addressed.
again, your error is not mine.

although, it doesn't surprise me that you don't seem capable of admitting when you're wrong.

We weren't even talking about you so you really are off in left field yet again.. You said I didn't know what it was like to struggle financially, I did, and you went off on yet another tangent. You can't even keep up with the players on the field and keep changing what you claim to be talking about and you go on about not being capable of admitting when wrong? Geez.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

nono see in the modern world making more money does not always mean hiring more people regardless of whether or not you like it things are becoming more and more automated? so what is going to happen when business owners have no need for employees (or a very small need for employees)

Wrong. Growth doesn't just mean automation.

and regardless of taxes its going to be cheaper to work over seas (the labor is simply cheaper and we can not and should not compete with those conditions)

Nice, just ignore the rise in taxes. Nice way to deflact. (does that shield come in blue?)

now if money is leaving your economy when people purchase products produced in other countries you are going to need to find out a way to get money back into your economy .....and the only way to do that is through taxation and so it becomes a cyclical problem

Ahhh, taking money FROM the people because government spends it better. BWAHAHAHA. . . really?

the way to fix this problem is to give tax incentives to businesses operating domestically and raise taxes on those working over seas (the issue here is every time someone introduces a bill to raise taxes on businesses working overseas the republicans filibuster and will not allow a vote on it)
and because you have people paying less in taxes because they are getting paid very little or can not find work because most of the jobs have been exported the only way to raise revenue for things like SS and medicare is to raise the taxes

Taxes should be neither a carrot or a stick. Taxes are a necessary evil. They should be paid minimally and reluctantly. What the hell is this knee-jerk reaction you progs have to taxes???

OOHHHH! I saw a bird, raise taxes! Golly! I skinned my knee. Raise taxes. Boo-hoo, I didn't get something. Raise taxes.

Global-shmobal.

Screw global. The NYSE is so wrapped up with global markets now that when the dollar devalues stocks go up!

EF global markets!

There. Some answers.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by NavyDoc

because (as stated on pg 11), their altruistic nature of subsidizing farmers to destroy their crops is what made expanding food stamps necessary in the first place.

it had nothing to do with lazy ppl ... but SURPLUS farm production.
fix that and the rest will take care of itself.
It was some incredibly stupid stuff that they did. They paid selected dairy farmers to sell their herds for slaughter. The resulting glut of beef caused beef prices to drop, so they had to start a program to support the beef industry.
A whole lot of tax dollars spent to put farms of both types out of business, and in the end, prices for beef and dairy went up due to lower production of both. The govt should have kept their nose out of it and let the system work the way that it is supposed to work.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The progressives on this site and this thread see government as a solution to all our problems.

The rest of us see government as the cause of all these problems.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

What are you going on about now? Masta's? Whips? Are you even capable of a rational discussion?

Now, since you love asking questions but dodging questions asked of you, I'll ask yet again: how can you trust the government who wants to kill people with vaccinations with taking care of them?

And yet, you still fail to get the point and you seem to have a lack of understanding what a "service" is in the economic sense. Look up the term "goods and services" and get back to us. It was brought up by people like you who compared working for the government with getting a handout from the government. Several intelligent people have pointed out to you the difference.

What service does a parent provide? Nothing in the context of what "goods and services" are in the economic sense. I know that you are going to say that "raising their children" is a service to the community, but, considering that someone else is paying for their children, they are not even doing that, are they? The community is raising their children. Secondly, raising ones own children is not a contracted for service.

Food stamps are comparable to getting funds. Failed econ 101 I see. Even food stamps are a commodity--a commodity that someone, somewhere, has paid for. A food stamp recipient gets a commodity just as valuable as any other commodity without earning said commodity. It does not matter if the commodity is used for food only or 20" rims--it is still a commodity that cost to produce and pass out.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The progressives on this site and this thread see government as a solution to all our problems.

The funny thing is that the ones calling for smaller government, smaller military, less entitlements, less government agencies, less regulations, and less interference with people's lives are the former government employees. Then we have people saying that "it's a big government/corporate conspiracy" on one side of their mouths and then "government must take care of us for our own good" with the other. Seems mutally contradictory to me.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate
From my best guess, it was macman.

Yep, it is always me.
Sure sure. . You really sound like you are arguing with yourself, using a couple different logins.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

The funny thing is that the ones calling for smaller government, smaller military, less entitlements, less government agencies, less regulations, and less interference with people's lives are the former government employees. Then we have people saying that "it's a big government/corporate conspiracy" on one side of their mouths and then "government must take care of us for our own good" with the other. Seems mutally contradictory to me.

What people are saying that?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

no growth doesnt just mean automation (that is definitely a part of it though... why hire workers when you can make a one time investment that will pay off for decades) but its an inevitability that most jobs are going to be done by machines in the future and they are increasingly as we speak
so whats going to happen then when the business owners have no need for workers?

problems rise when you dont have enough revenue to pay for mandatory spending so yes you need to raise taxes if your spending is going to increase (and it will SS and medicare have nowhere to go but up) and if money is going overseas while jobs are lost here the only way to increase revenue is to increase taxes
its not a knee jerk reaction thats necessary

my solution would be to give tax breaks to domestically operating companies and tax increases for those working overseas so you have more domestic jobs and more people paying in higher amounts but at a much lower rate (because they will be making more)
what are your thoughts on that?

and you seem to be somewhat split on globalism on one hand you support companies doing anything in their power to increase profits (after all thats what theyre for right?) and at the same time say "ef global markets"
whether you like it or not global markets mean that companies have the option of producing their product wherever is going to be most profitable for them and if its not the absolute cheapest domestically they will move overseas and that means lost jobs and lost revenue (but the necessities that must be paid for through taxation remain the same) and there is absolutely no way our workers could compete with those in china or africa as far as cost goes

ill not respond to the rest of your points as they are going to be largely opinion based and i would rather not open that can of worms

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

That's because as former government employees, we know how innefective DC actually is.

As for the other?

Thegovernment lies about;
9/11
Area 51
Moon landing(s)
HAARP
Chemtrails
Radiation
Nuclear energy
JFK assassination
Aliens
Crop circles

But they're telling us the truth on;
Entitlements.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

my solution would be to give tax breaks to domestically operating companies and tax increases for those working overseas

That is called protectionism and never works.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by NavyDoc

This tired argument..

How can someone that doesn't know how to do math be expected to read a book?!?!

Got to be a tad more specific. One problem with a website that has a "reply to" without quoting button, is that sometimes you don't know what another person is referencing.

If you are referring to the comparing the salary of a government employee to a welfare benefit, the actual amount has nothing to do with the underlying principle--that one gets payment for a service provided and the other gets payment for nothing.
edit on 11-12-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

What service is being provided by a government employee?

It depends on what is required. One assumes that a firefighter puts out fires, for example.
firefighters are not employees of the Federal government, try again.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

my solution would be to give tax breaks to domestically operating companies and tax increases for those working overseas

That is called protectionism and never works.

By never, he means always.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join