It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory: Earth Vertically Rotating

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

You could have saved yourself all that time by doing 5 minutes of research. The constellations are exactly where they should be. Sun still rises and sets in the same place. If this was true amateur astronomers all over the world would know about it. It would be major news.

I love that you like to think, but admitting you are making a post with zero research whatsoever makes me cry inside.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hmm...interesting thought, I am not well versed in astronomy- so my opinion does not carry much weight. Something is definitely going on in the last year- tornadoes in Italy, France, snow in Africa, Mediterranean, crazy line of tornadoes on the east coast, the annuals on my porch in Nebraska still have blooms in December, somethings amiss.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If this were occurring then there would be an awful lot of people who would have noticed. If it were true, Polaris would no longer be directly overhead at the North Pole. Two groups of people who would have noticed; Astronomers and Naval Officers.

Most backyard astronomers use equatorial mounts for their scopes. These align one axis exactly with Polaris. This allows them to only move the telescope in a single axis to track the movement of the stars and planets. If Polaris was out of position, this wouldn't work.

Naval officers (except the US navy) still use Polaris as a very easy method of finding a position line. The beauty of Polaris is that it is extremely simple to find your latitude in the northern hemisphere using Polaris. Observe it's altitude using a sextant. That value equals latitude (roughly there are some small corrections as the star isn't perfectly above the north pole, but the corrections used today are identical to those used 50 years ago).

I teach at a naval college. If Polaris was out, I'd soon hear about it from students and colleagues.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

The Earth is like a giant spinning top. It periodically wobbles on the north and south axis. This cycle causes differentials in seasonal weather patterns and temperatures in both hemospheres.

The Earth can never rotate on a N to S axis more than a few degrees though because "like a spinning top", the Earth has a counter balance called the Equatorial Bulge.

Hope that clears things up for yer a little..

edit on 12/9/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Thanks for at least thinking , no matter if you were wrong , just the fact that you started a thread in here is enough for me to S&F you.
It's people like you , who contribute by wondering and questioning that keep things exciting in here , I learn a lot by just reading, I just wish I didn't have to sift through all the negativity and smart asses and the people who get their feathers ruffled because someone had the audacity to think and show their curiosity. Everyone doesn't think alike and Thank god for that!

Keep that mind wondering , we need more people like you.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

If global warming is manmade, then why is it occuring on other planets in our solar system? They like to perpetuate that lie for their agenda but the evidence suggests otherwise. Either the sun is just going through 1 of its natural phases/cycles or it has to do with our changing position in the cosmos, e.g as we get closer to the oort cloud our heliosphere weakens and the planets are more vulnerable to outside rays.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

.....to the contrary, the not-so-bright are and have been breeding everywhere. Obama's re-election is just one example of that

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Neither are "constellations out of place" nor is the sun "not rising where it should"

All this thread is based upon is a bunch of wrong assumptions made due to a severe lack of education combined with ignorance and the unwillingness to draw conclusions from own observations.

So, instead of adding one more thread to the vaults of ATS, dragging the overall intellectual average of this site closer and closer to a zero value, you might have just grabbed a compass, and stuck your friggin' head out of the window and looked for yourself if the sun is still rising in the east where it is supposed to rise, and putting our whole insane theory to rest before it even leaves the synapses of your own mind.

But I guess you don't have to because someone on the internetz already said it's out of place.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

The axial tilt of the Earth is 23.439281 and this has not changed nor will it unless we are perturbed by something massive enough and close enough! I am an amatuer astronomer and have been for about 10 years! One of the two telescopes I possess has an Equatorial mount which means the axis of the scope has to be parellel with the earths axis! the two axis on an Equatorial mount are called declination and right ascention! The declination on my scope is still 36.5 degrees same as it was when i purchased it ten years ago! After all this time I can still take long exposures with a minimum of tracking even at high magnification! This is how I know for a fact that the tilt of the earth has not changed in a decade! Yet over a millenia there might be some variation because of the precession of the equinox! Well I hope this helps you, Goodluck!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Thank you very much for posting. I live in the north east way above New York and I have been watching the sky since August. I had never been one for watching the sky but, I started noticing colour differences at night, and I mean beyond the glow of living in a city. At about 3:00am the sky is this bizarre shade of mauve (looks like one of the old colours they used in Star Trek.) Anyhow because of this I started watching I can tell you without any doubt (no proof as I do not have friends that work at the observatory but, the Sun rises in the south (Montreal’s South is South-South-East) yes that is where the sun usually rises but with a slight correction. It used to rise in the South East in the winter months (after November till February.) Not only that but, I have seen the moon completely sideways making a smiley face on many nights. In my whole life I have never seen this. I know this because if I had it would have made it into the laughing Gnome humour which surrounds my life in the culture of people I choose to live.

Your post is one that I came to imagine myself and I have come to believe that the North pole has shifted and is currently somewhere over Siberia near the central part of Russia which would explain your theory of colder winters in Europe and warmer ones here.. As for the Star Trek Mauve colour in the night sky I think there may be a new kind of effect on the Aurora Borealis which shows itself here in the north east (not unusual this high up, though rare) however I think that this aurora type is something new and it is not known how to disseminate the information yet without causing panic.

Thank you for saying what your think and letting us know it is your unproven theory. This lets a lot of people be able to say what they have experienced for themselves too.

Great stuff here!

Once again this is my personal theory which is right along with yours. I have searched everywhere I can think to find supporting evidence of what I describe but, alas it is not available, much like your own experience.

Again what a great post.

P.S. There are always those who say it is "too bad you didn't", and "I just found this and it took me 5 minutes to debunk your message." The truth is you have your experiences and I have mine and whether or not people agree or not I believe that having the ability to make your statement is exactly what we are here for. To discover and discuss what is not being so. Especially, when you notice change and can find no explanation for it. This is where people can help and point you in the right direction or add clarifications you might not have considered. Hopefully with kindness
edit on 9-12-2012 by BewilderedandAmused because: Left out a statement.

Here is a link that may explain why things change in some places and not in others as well as how slowly it all moves. However this post by NASA does concur that pole shifting is a natural part of earth's living features though we do not talk about it. NASA: Pole shifting a natural occurrence
edit on 9-12-2012 by BewilderedandAmused because: Added a post from NASA

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay Electronica
reply to post by SplitInfinity

e.g as we get closer to the oort cloud our heliosphere weakens and the planets are more vulnerable to outside rays.

I wonder if this could have something to do with the strange colours in the nihgt sky way up here near Montreal. See my last post: posted on 9-12-2012 @ 10:33 AM Page 2

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think that the earth is going to slip on it's axis, the tilt won't change, it will just acquire a different position in relation to the eliptical orbit. This will change the beginning of the seasons to a different time on the calender. Because of the eliptical orbit of the earth around the sun, this could change the overall climate. The position of the earth along this eliptical orbit slowly changes over thousands of years. This causes polarized warming spells and freezing spells. The north pole gains ice sometimes, the south others. Right now I think we are in about the middle of this cycle.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

"Earth vertically rotating"...... I dont even know what that means. Can someone point me to the science which demonstrates theres an up, a down, and side to side in space.

OP there's so much wrong with your post it's making my head spin....vertically at an angle greater than 23 degrees and increasing every minute.

The Earth wobbles, the Earth's orbit is not completely circular, the solar system moves in relation to the galactic plane, and the climate changes. That the climate has always been changing is about the only thing we can say about it with any real confidence. The Earth has been warmer and colder, wetter and drier, and had higher and lower rates of greenhouse gases.

edit on 9-12-2012 by merkins because: Edit ast para

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm glad that you posted this theory. I have been trying to keep track of this sort of thing since the I read about it in 2004.
The gigantic Asian sea quake, the most dramatic seismic shock in more than 40 years, made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently changed the geology of the surrounding area, scientists said on Tuesday. It was like "flicking a top," said Paul Tapponnier, head of the tectonics laboratory at the Institut de Physique du Globe (IPG), France's leading center for the Earth sciences.
www.platetectonics.com...

Sunday's earthquake that unleashed deadly tsunami on Asia was so powerful it made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently altered the regional map, U.S. geophysicists said Wednesday.

The 9-magnitude temblor that struck 250 kilometers southeast of Sumatra may have moved small islands as much as 20 meters, according to one expert.

"That earthquake has changed the map," said U.S. Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut.
www.777news.com...

The earthquake-cum-tsunami packed such fury that it has moved Japan's main island, Honshu, by about 8 feet. It's also caused the Earth's axis to wobble by about 4 inches – something that experts say will lead to the shortening of the day by 1.6 microseconds, or just over a millionth of a second.
articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

There are also several articles that the Earth took (did?) another wobble July 2012 causing small tsunami's in Italy, but I didn't post links for these, I wanted to try to post from more mainstream news articles.
I don't know if these "wobbles" change the way the Earth tilts, but I do find it all really disturbing.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
Thanks for at least thinking , no matter if you were wrong , just the fact that you started a thread in here is enough for me to S&F you.
It's people like you , who contribute by wondering and questioning that keep things exciting in here , I learn a lot by just reading, I just wish I didn't have to sift through all the negativity and smart asses and the people who get their feathers ruffled because someone had the audacity to think and show their curiosity. Everyone doesn't think alike and Thank god for that!

Keep that mind wondering , we need more people like you.

Here here... i was thinking exactly the same, the poor guy dares to be curious about some stuff he's read and already admits to not having a massive knowledge of.. then he's lambasted by half a dozen or so know it alls who probably arent actually as smart as they like to think they are!

I like to read peoples theories on here.. whether right or wrong.. a theory is exactly that

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

(Quote) First I would like to point out that I am not a scientist, Astronomy expert, or anything else for that matter. I am just someone who likes to put pieces together of a puzzle and figure things out that don't quite add up or have to many coincidences.

How can you put the pieces of a puzzle together when you have no idea what you are talking about?
Learn some Science and come back with an Educated Theory.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The Earth rotates an additional 23.5 degrees on its axis over the course of 26,000 years. So in 26,000 years, Earth will be titled 23.5 degrees more than it is now. I learned this from the intro to astronomy course on Coursera, which I dropped because I've had no time to catch up on it from signing up a week late.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by tw0330

Anyone with a Sextant...never mind the Modern Equipment of the day...can easily calculate the Earths Tilt to the Sun on any particular day.

The Earth WOBBLES and here is a LINK that will give you more information...dsc.discovery.com...

The Eath's Wobble changes the angle of tilt in a cycle that repeats itself over time.
agreed

This Cyclical Wobble is responsible for Ice Ages
maybe maybe not

Climate Changes, current warming trend is without a doubt...MAN MADE.
do you actually believe this horse manure you are typing? Rice Patties and Volcanic Activity are the Earths largest contributors of green house gasses. Rice Patties have been a constant. Man made green house gasses have been on the decline with increasing efficiency. Volcanic eruptions have been escalating over the last years driving up green house gasses by a rate unmeasurable.

We have taken Antarctic Ice Core samples and have found that CO2 and Methane concentrations are higher now than at any other time in Earths 100,000 years. In fact these CO2 and Methane concentrations are climbing at a rate faster than in any other time in Earths History over the last 50 Million Years.
Not according to Paul LaViolette

The Earth however is a self correcting system...Human Life...not so much. Split Infinity

Yes because man is very insignificant in the universe

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

"As far as why wouldn't nasa or the governments tell us, it's simple, Mass Chaos, as they themselves may not 100% know what is going on, or what might happen. It wouldn't be hard to hide it at least for a few years when it comes to the equator and the poles at least. Few people notice where the sun rises or sets or look at the stars anymore. Those that notice the difference will just be passed off a nutjobs and the world will go on. "

Except for the fact there are TONS of (rich) amateur astronomers that would call bunk on them real quick. Although personally I have noticed some weird $%^& with the sun lately.

A week or so ago they were barely far enough apart and were both visible in mid afternoon, when I took each hand and pointed then turned to my girl the angle was maybe a 35/40ish arc. I always thought one rose in east other set in west, so how could they be both visible broad daylight, above my head and barely far enough apart. I don't know crap about astronomy so maybe it happens often, but 35 years old and don't remember them being that close together ever.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ok people, first off no where did I say in the OP that this was happening.

This is just a theory I came up with. Isn't that what science is all about?

You come up with a theory and then work to prove or disprove it. many of you have written it off, fine, many scientists write off theories before they even give it a chance, while others consider it then work to prove or dis-prove it.

Thank you for all the kind reply's I have gotten.

Remember I was just trying to put pieces of the puzzles together to figure out some questions. The pieces may not go together quite right, and if that is the case, so be it, back to the drawing board.

Those of you that are quick to judge me based on a theory which I readily said I didn't have all of the pieces for, open your minds and disprove the theory instead of belittling the theorist. At least some people are trying to make sense of things that don't add up. Hints why it's called a Theory vs a Fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join