It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Live: NASA Unveiling Mars Rover, Voyager Findings Today (12/03/12, Noon EST)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We should perhaps take a moment before bashing an entire science department?
If you fine lads make some reading you'll find out that the previous announcement didn't say anything about "earth-shattering" or "groundbreaking". The journalist that first released the story used a separate testimony where one of the science chiefs said that THE MISSION as a whole would be "one for the history books" among other adjectives. and he put this IN the announcement. Sneaky.
When they talked about THIS announcement they said it was, and I'm paraphrasing, "cool".

We ALL have our doubts about NASA's upper-management. That doesn't mean the "science nerds" (as I read someone say, typing a message on a complex electronic device) don't make damn good science. And they've been doing it for decades.
This is a several years long mission, they're just warming up the science gear.
There's no reason not to enjoy the ride.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What gets me is that they have a science lab rolling around on the ground on Mars and they don't know if they have found organics or not ,but they have a probe circling Mercury and they say that there is water ice at the poles covered with an organic substance and they sound more sure of the Mercury results

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
So, I tried to find out, but couldn't. But I am sure someone here knows there answer.

Is there a microscope on the Rover? If not, why???

Is there a compass on the Rover? I'd love to see what a compass would do on mars, even though they "say" there is no magnetosphere. If there isn't one, how does the radiation get blocked?

Is there a UV light? You know, those UV lights people use to look at stuff on bathroom floors, bed rooms... you get the idea... A UV might make the search a million times eaiser.

Is there a metal detector? Just a regular metal detector....

Okay that's all I got.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jough626

So, I tried to find out, but couldn't. But I am sure someone here knows there answer.

Is there a microscope on the Rover? If not, why???

Is there a compass on the Rover? I'd love to see what a compass would do on mars, even though they "say" there is no magnetosphere. If there isn't one, how does the radiation get blocked?

Is there a UV light? You know, those UV lights people use to look at stuff on bathroom floors, bed rooms... you get the idea... A UV might make the search a million times eaiser.

Is there a metal detector? Just a regular metal detector....

Okay that's all I got.

Or a loud speaker so they can yell hey ! ! anybody here!! hey!! hellllooo!!

oh! and a squirt gun !!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Always fascinating, rarely miss these conferences if I'm lucky... even worthy of replay...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
the mars lander is a hoax and features faked video.
more nasa bs.
the 'sky crane' was never tested. say no more.

suckers!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cookiemonster32
What gets me is that they have a science lab rolling around on the ground on Mars and they don't know if they have found organics or not ,but they have a probe circling Mercury and they say that there is water ice at the poles covered with an organic substance and they sound more sure of the Mercury results

Absolutely true.

How many lies, from NASA.

We pay Nasa for its lies. Billions of dollars for lies and scams.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Does anyone know if they have sound recording equipment on curiosity I would really like to hear what the surface of Mars sounds like wind sighing rocks moving etc.... Would they have included this device in the loadout?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

UPDATE:
Mars rover finds complex chemicals but no organic compounds ... yet

Although NASA's Curiosity rover hasn't yet confirmed the detection of organic compounds on Mars, it's already seeing that the Red Planet's soil contains complex chemicals — including signs of an intriguing compound called perchlorate.

source:cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

Edit to add, updating as it happens (wrapped up)

Main lede: Complex chemicals found, possibly organic compounds but more science needed. Carbon, oxygen and chlorine methane as perchlorates broke up and reacted with carbon (NASA doesn't know where the carbon is coming from). Water is present. NASA needs to do more science... not enough organic compounds found to be "really interesting." NASA looking for a more "rich organic environment for the rover."

hmmmmm????? strange.

was this not already common knowledge?

In June 2008, the Wet Chemistry Laboratory (WCL) on board the 2007 Phoenix Mars Lander performed the first wet chemical analysis of martian soil. The analyses on three samples, two from the surface and one from 5 cm depth, revealed a slightly alkaline soil and low levels of salts typically found on Earth. Most unexpected though was the presence of ~ 0.6 wt % perchlorate (ClO4-), most likely as a Mg(ClO4)2 phase.[30]

en.wikipedia.org...

(anyway it seems it a component of rocket fuel , so the aliens probably left the traces of it when they were setting up our earth colony.
)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cookiemonster32
Does anyone know if they have sound recording equipment on curiosity I would really like to hear what the surface of Mars sounds like wind sighing rocks moving etc.... Would they have included this device in the loadout?

They answered that question here
www.reddit.com...

And its something about they had a microphone on the phoenix lander and it failed, so they wont bother using up space for trying it again

I would love to hear the sounds of Mars to.. to hell with their sand

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
So let me get this straight. If I check back a national newspaper here for news regarding the NASA Mars Rover Curiosity, the following timeline can be made:

11/21/2012
'NASA makes historical discovery on Mars'

The article states: The Curiousity Rover recently took some ground samples and the results will go down in history. 'It is looking very promising', says lead researcher John Grotzinger. Grotzinger cannot go into details on the groundbreaking discovery. He hopes he can reveal more within a few weeks.

The article ends with: In September, the Mars rover found evidence of a ancient (dried up) creek.

11/30/2012
'NASA takes back claims of world altering discovery'

In this article it is stated that NASA says 'rumors' of such a discovery find no basis in reality.

Call me crazy, but didn't NASA put in place these 'rumors' in the first place, by announcing they have made a discovery that will make the history books - just 9 days earlier? The whole tone of this article is fishy.

The article ends with: Curiosity has already established that ONCE there was water flowing on Mars. NASA expects to make more of these remarkable discoveries in the near future.

12/04/2012
'No surprises in first dirt sample Mars Rover'

Curiosity has analyzed several samples of Mars ground and nothing out of the ordinary was discovered. No complex building blocks of life were found. The sample did contain WATER and minerals. 'Just ordinary sand, remarked one NASA person.'

EXCUSE ME? Since when is it common knowledge and 'ordinary' that WATER is present on Mars in modern times? Did I get sucked in a time vortex and miss this news?

As I check the two articles dated 5 days and 14 days earlier respectively, the only claims about water that are made are dealing with ANCIENT water flows. Sediments, carved out landscapes. Indirect evidence that water once flowed. Not evidence of water itself, in present times?!

Water has long been THE element that scientists searched for when theorizing alien life. Ive seen many NGC/Discovery Channel documentaries speculating about Europas frozen water and possible microbial life. And now all of the sudden it is found on one of the closest planets and it is downplayed to the point that its made NON-newsworthy.

I'm so confused that I cannot even type a coherent story. But it boils down to these 2 points:

1. Is this not the absolute first time that WATER has been confirmed to be present on the surface of Mars in present day?

2. Is WATER not one of the crucial building blocks of life itself. Is WATER not the compound that scientists would agree on is one of the main ingredients of life as we know it? And shouldnt this discovery of WATER be treated as historical news itself, since it would imply that chances are bigger than ever thought before that life exists or has once existed on our neighbouring red planet?

Someone please support me in my confusion or enlighten me and sort me out.

edit on 4/12/12 by SergeantTrammelant because: confusion

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Any organic Chemists out there? And if so, what do you make of this? Any possibilities ?
Could this be a result of 'life' previously?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
according to the Guardian organic molecules have been found. Is that what nasa is covering up?
There is methane in mars' atmosphere. There must be some kind of life there. But why would NASA cover it up?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr X
according to the Guardian organic molecules have been found. Is that what nasa is covering up?
There is methane in mars' atmosphere. There must be some kind of life there. But why would NASA cover it up?

I think they're just curbing their enthusiasm until they know for sure that the compounds are indigenous and biological in origin in order to avoid jumping the gun like they did with ALH84001.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SergeantTrammelant

Hi,
I'm pretty sure the H2O they are referring to isn't in a liquid free form but bonded with minerals in the soil.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
needs moar science

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Very reminiscent of "NASA's EARTH SHATTERING NEWS"

edit on 4-12-2012 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think the fact that NASA have a toy car on Mars is pretty damn impressive, even if they haven't found anything significant.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

yeah! and it even has a Lazer! so we can do what we do best! kill stuff

I'd of put a squirt gun.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I M STILL WAITING FOR THAT BIG ANNOUNCEMENT..........

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join