It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Near-death experience"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 03:12 AM
link   
article on near death.....(copy and paste below)

Almost any bookstore sells works on the "near-death experience" (NDE). Actually a collection of experiences reported by individuals who have approached death, or undergone death and then returned to life, the NDE is widely interpreted as a genuine, representative experience of the afterlife.

Elements of the NDE include a "life review" in which all the events of one's life on Earth are recapitulated; visions of the future; and a meeting with a mysterious, luminous being (commonly called the "being of light") that is said to express great love for the individual, without passing judgment on his or her life and deeds, no matter how sinful they may have been.

The NDE has been interpreted as evidence that judgment of individuals after death does not occur, and that there is no reckoning for one's works, good and evil, performed on Earth. According to this view, one may expect a joyous afterlife, almost regardless of what one believes and does before death.

Comforting though it appears, the NDE phenomenon is founded on faulty assumptions, selectively chosen evidence, and lies. On numerous points it contradicts the teachings of Scripture, the Patristic writings, and Holy Tradition concerning death and the afterlife, and appears to be one element of the emerging religion of Antichrist.

orthodoxinfo.com...

The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Chapter 25: 41-46

41-46. Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand,
Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry, and ye gave Me nothing to eat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me not in: naked, and ye clothed Me not: sick, or in prison, and ye visited Me not.
Then shall they also answer Him, saying,

Lord, when saw we Thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto Thee?
Then shall He answer them, saying,
Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to Me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

orthodoxinfo.com...

(Mod edit- all cap title)

[edit on 2-10-2005 by asala]

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 06:12 AM
link   
are you saying true believers should avoid having Near Death Expiriences?

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
The NDE has been interpreted as evidence that judgment of individuals after death does not occur, and that there is no reckoning for one's works, good and evil, performed on Earth. According to this view, one may expect a joyous afterlife, almost regardless of what one believes and does before death.

It is a NEAR death expirience and not an ACTUAL death expirience.
There's no way of knowing if the two are anything alike.
Because no one has come back from an ACTUAL death expirience.

Comforting though it appears, the NDE pheno
menon is founded on faulty assumptions, selectively chosen evidence, and lies. On numerous points it contradicts the teachings of Scripture, the Patristic writings, and Holy Tradition concerning death and the afterlife, and appears to be one element of the emerging religion of Antichrist.

OTOH.
"Founded on faulty assumptions.. etc."
Tell that to the people who have had them.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 09:00 AM
link   
yes they have...........
The Doctors see it as a natural occurance of some sort of scientific whatever......

documantries on near death have been shown..........a little girl that was pretty sick in hospital drew pictures of what she saw and it looked like Angels........she told her mum not to be afraid........ the little girl died..............

There are many stories told of near death experiences...........

trying to ''oobe'' out of body experience is dangerous because you cannot control what you do ..........in many circumstances the ''oobe'' experience is a false taste of what life would be like 'after death''..........

[Edited on 3-5-2003 by helen670]

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I can help contribute to the varifcation of this occurence.
My godfather dead in a crash, he woke up in the morgue. I don't think he has ever really talked about it, but i'll see if he will.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Lurker..........

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Quango,

Yes they have... I have discussed this here on ATS before. Some have been dead for hours. One was dead for three days.

Check it out at www.near-death.com...
And at www.soultravel.nu...

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
When you're dead - you're dead.

You're not dead for 1 hour or 5 days. You're dead. Erased out of our present plane.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We don't even know the exact time we're dead. There are criteria though. But we don't know wether clinical death is eath or brain death is death.

Check these out...

www.near-death.com...

(Patients body temperature lowered to 60 degrees, heartbeat and breathing stopped, brainwaves flattened and blood drained from head.)

www.near-death.com...

(Hit by car, left for three days in the morgue, returned during beginning of autopsy, three days after incident.)

www.soultravel.nu...
www.near-death.com...

(It was my hospice caretaker. She had given up an hour and a half after finding me dead. She was sure I was dead; all the signs of death were there - I was getting stiff.

We do not know how long I was dead, but we do know that it was an hour and a half since I was found. She honored my wish to have my newly dead body left alone for a few hours as much as she could. We had an amplified stethoscope and many ways of checking out the vital functions of the body to see what was happening. She can verify that I really was dead. It was not a near-death experience. I experienced death itself for at least an hour and a half. She found me dead and checked the stethoscope, blood pressure and heart rate monitor for an hour and a half.)

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
NearDeath experience -
you're alive - something happens, all signs of life disappear - time passes - you're alive again.

Death-
you're alive - something happens, all sign of life disappears - THE END.

NDE is a LIFE experience, in which the body of a person 'dies' and is then brought back to life in some way. The person is then able to TELL ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE.

Death - no one has ever returned because they are dead.

I'm not saying that a NDE doesn't show what death actually is. Maybe it does.
But there's no way of knowing because they are two different things.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I disagree. We don't know if they are two different things or not. Physically, the same thing happens to nde'rs that happens to a person who dies, depending on how long the nde lasts. That includes such things as the stiffness after death (rigor mortis)...

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I disagree. We don't know if they are two different things or not. Physically, the same thing happens to nde'rs that happens to a person who dies, depending on how long the nde lasts. That includes such things as the stiffness after death (rigor mortis)...

I'm not saying they're not the same thing - i'm saying it's impossible to know, because Dead-dead people don't talk much.
Death is not a physical experience. It is lack of physical experience. That's why the distinction is so important.
Because the fact that in one instance the 'soul'* returns to the body and in the other it doesn't... well that sure seems to indicate very different experiences to me.

*replace w/ the word of your choice

(think of the difference between two men jumping out of an airplane - one with a parachute and one without. As they are falling, is there any physical difference between their bodies? (conditions, lifesigns, etc.)

Will they have the same experience?

[Edited on 4-5-2003 by quango]

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   
They will partly have the same experience, untill some point...(in the parachute example, the difference begins of course when the first man opens his chute)

There are lots of nde's in which the person hears that it's not his time, or that they find out that if they cross some point, they will never come back...

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
here's a story of one man's death that led him to beleive in ''demons'' and life after death....i posted it in another thread....'''THANATOPHOBIA'''fear of death...by 29MV29 in chit-chat...................>>>>>>

orthodoxinfo.com...

[Edited on 4-5-2003 by helen670]

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
A near death experience is surely something that could be explained in a more scientific way- for exampe, if your life falshes before your eyes isn't that because the last thing you want to think about is what's about to happen to you!!! Grr...

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Nahhh... Science still cannot explain why NDE'rs are able to witness stuff that they in theory couldn't see, because of unconsciousness, no brain activity and being physically in a different location.

And they also can't explain why blind people are able to give a visual description of events that happened when they were dead.

www.near-death.com...

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have had a theory about near-death experience--having come close to death a few times myself.

I think, that the whole "life flashing before your eyes" thing is your minds reaction to being near death. Like your mind is sifting through everything you ever experienced in order to find a way to survive the situation at hand.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Based off assumptions? Isn't a bit of faith required for one to believe in the assumption? You're stating that NDE's and OBE's are all apart of this new 'antichrist religion'?

Take a seat honey. Realize that your very basis of review is solely biased based upon your own opinion formed from what some supposed 'holy' book tells you. Experience one for yourself and then come back telling us the same thing. Having the experience is always greater then word of mouth... or book in this case.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
BlueApocalypse,

Excellent post.

Although generally not espoused in Christian churches, the Near Death Experience is mentioned in the Bible, e.g., by Paul of Tarsus.

>

Quoted from True Near Death Experiences.

Originally posted by helen670

That is an inaccurate interpretation.

Although the life review is often accompanied by feelings of love and healing, it does not mean that the soul is not responsible for its actions. Quite the opposite: all karmic debts must be amended on the Other Side through selflessness. If one shirks one's spiritual responsibility, one cannot stay or ascend to a spiritual place where one can find long-lasting contentment and happiness.

Progression into The Light and retrogression away from The Light is how cosmic justice operates. Evil people eventually destroy their ability to unite with The Light; in doing so, their souls (being a form of energy) slowly shrink into nothingness. To completely unite with darkness in the Spirit is to no longer exist.

Many times a life review is not even given to those who would most likely ignore it anyway. Those who are morally corrupt and who transition, usually join with others of like mind in the Lower Realms and pursue a path of sadistic action to innocents, just as they did in life. This results in them retrogressing further from The Light and into damnation, which is soul oblivion.

Evil in the Spirit destroys itself constantly

[edit on 6-10-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Here is a 13-year scientific study of Near-Death-Experiences, published in The Lancet in 2001:

profezie3m.altervista.org...

PDF file:

www.zarqon.co.uk...

The shocking conclusions:

62 (18%) patients reported some recollection of the time of clinical death (table 1).

Several theories have been proposed to explain NDE. We did not show that psychological, neurophysiological, or physiological factors caused these experiences after cardiac arrest. Sabom22 mentions a young American woman who had complications during brain surgery for a cerebral aneurysm. The EEG of her cortex and brainstem had become totally flat. After the operation, which was eventually successful, this patient proved to have had a very deep NDE, including an out-of-body experience, with subsequently verified observations during the period of the flat EEG.

With lack of evidence for any other theories for NDE, the thus far assumed, but never proven, concept that consciousness and memories are localised in the brain should be discussed. How could a clear consciousness outside one's body be experienced at the moment that the brain no longer functions during a period of clinical death with flat EEG?22 Also, in cardiac arrest the EEG usually becomes flat in most cases within about 10 s from onset of syncope.29,30 Furthermore, blind people have described veridical perception during out-of-body experiences at the time of this experience.31 NDE pushes at the limits of medical ideas about the range of human consciousness and the mind-brain relation.

Research should be concentrated on the effort to explain scientifically the occurrence and content of NDE. Research should be focused on certain specific elements of NDE, such as out-of-body experiences and other verifiable aspects. Finally, the theory and background of transcendence should be included as a part of an explanatory framework for these experiences.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join