It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXPOSED: Here Are The Tricks That Fox News Uses To Manipulate Statistics On Its Graphics

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
BMN is stil by far the worst excuse for a news outlet out there.

It is pretty bad when all anyone can say is b-b-b-b other people do it.. That is there only excuse.

(BMN=Bull$h!t Mountain News for god sakes they won the right to outright lie because they are considered entertainment news) The Daily Show has more integrity. Consider this Fox is an entertainment show that perpetrates the fraud they are news and The Daily Show is news that perpetrates the fraud they are just comedy. Perplexing.

S&F I love when people call out fraudsters.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Just because they are not the "exact" style of manipulation, does not mean they are not manipulation nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Just because they are not the "exact" style of manipulation, does not mean they are not manipulation nonetheless.

Note that I'm not the one claiming that they are doing the exact same thing.

Note multiple posters claim that everyone one is doing what Fox is doing.

I don't think framing stories i.e. editorial slant, is the same thing as what Fox does. Fox isn't framing, they are lying and manipulating graphs and data to deliberately undermine, "facts".

I and others have asked those people making those claims to simply provide evidence to back up those claims

It's not a big ask.

And as of yet, we're getting a lot of claims, but no evidence.

However, there's tons of actual proof, like in the OP, that Fox does this all the time, deliberately.

And that Fox viewers are woefully under- and mis- informed. And that's no coincidence.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

YESSSS!!! I've never seen this brought up on ATS before but it's bugged me for AGES. Anyone who has lived both outside and inside the US notices it easily, how there is no left in the US anymore. You have far right, right, and center right. Even the conservative party in Canada is FAR to the left of the democrats in the US.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

The Left is no different, they used to do the exact same thing with Ron Paul and his election results.

I freakin' hate this cop out argument.
The extent that Fox News does it is absurd, and there is no comparison.

For everyone, the term for the technique the article is pointing out is called "truncated graphs."
BUT Fox News apparently goes a step further and uses truncated graphs, combined with misalligning points on the graph. As I was saying specifically to gladtobehere, you might find other news stations using truncated graphs....I've never seen evidence of them manipulating the actual points on the graph!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
reply to post by antonia

YESSSS!!! I've never seen this brought up on ATS before but it's bugged me for AGES. Anyone who has lived both outside and inside the US notices it easily, how there is no left in the US anymore. You have far right, right, and center right. Even the conservative party in Canada is FAR to the left of the democrats in the US.

This is what makes republican hatred of Obama so hilarious....he has essentially done EXACTLY what Bush did....and everything they hate, Bush would've undoubtedly done too.....so it's like they are complaining about the D next to his name, nothing more...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

The Left is no different, they used to do the exact same thing with Ron Paul and his election results.

I'm sure they've done it on other issues as well.

At the end of the day, theyre all on the same team: more wars, bigger police state, run away debt, undying support for izrael etc.

Soooo... Basically, you admit that Fox News is lying and cheating? And your only choice of answer to this is to accuse someone else (without any proove) doing the same?

Well.. I would declare Fox News therefore the loser. The winner? Everyone not watching that newsmockermontary channel.

I think it's just that most of us are tired of the sanctimonious left prattling on about Fox, but never having a problem with media that CLEARLY lies, fear mongers and spins in favor of the Democratic party on a regular basis.

So show examples of MSNBC using as egregious cases of statistics as this or StopTheFalseUmbrage. This is just more of your tired tactics of making false equivalences. The OP has shown Fox news misrepresenting statistics. Show examples of MSNBC or other "liberal" media outlets doing the same. Otherwise you have no argument, Private. NOW STAND DOWN until you actually have something to say with relevance and/or facts to back it up.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

1. ALWAYS READ THE NUMBERS NOT JUST THE PICTURE!
2. QUESTION THE ASSERTIONS MADE ABOUT THE DATA!

The problem with that is the human brain takes in graphic elements much better than verbal and written communication. The media and advertisers know this. Considering they have to work within a short amount of time to get their message across, there is a small public minority that will go beyond the graphics and analyze the data.

Coming from a graphic design background, graphics, photos and color grabs attention, where headlines, text or data do not. The only time text will grab attention, is when the size of the text overpowers the graphics or using white space to direct the eye to the text.

So it doesn't surprise me that the public is being manipulated with these graphs and charts. Today's technology supplies us with fast split second graphic communications, which is causing younger generations to want immediate recognition and ignore the text. We're constantly being bombarded and manipulated everyday with 20 second and 30 second TV commercials and print ads, and it's only getting getting worse. You can't surf the internet without some kind of visual ad popping up.
edit on 29-11-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If you guys where honest you would understand that MSNBC does the same stuff.Also the rest of the media all slants left wing.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

At the end of the day, theyre all on the same team: more wars, bigger police state, run away debt, undying support for izrael etc.

Soooo... Basically, you admit that Fox News is lying and cheating? And your only choice of answer to this is to accuse someone else (without any proove) doing the same?

Well.. I would declare Fox News therefore the loser. The winner? Everyone not watching that newsmockermontary channel.

I think it's just that most of us are tired of the sanctimonious left prattling on about Fox, but never having a problem with media that CLEARLY lies, fear mongers and spins in favor of the Democratic party on a regular basis.

So show examples of MSNBC using as egregious cases of statistics as this or StopTheFalseUmbrage. This is just more of your tired tactics of making false equivalences. The OP has shown Fox news misrepresenting statistics. Show examples of MSNBC or other "liberal" media outlets doing the same. Otherwise you have no argument, Private. NOW STAND DOWN until you actually have something to say with relevance and/or facts to back it up.
Whoops sorry did not mean to post this.lagged up.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have always find it very funny, and quite sad, that whenever one political side points out the wrongdoing of the other, the other sides only rebuttal is " Well, they do it too". Like that makes it OK to do

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mymymy
I have always find it very funny, and quite sad, that whenever one political side points out the wrongdoing of the other, the other sides only rebuttal is " Well, they do it too". Like that makes it OK to do

Yeah it is rather sad man.Both sides have become a failure and do the same stuff.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

It's like watching kindergartners go at it. Momma said two wrongs don't make a right. Some of you need to remember that line.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Name that motto.

“Fair and Balanced”

“Lean Forward”

"The Best Political Team on Television"

"lean left"

“The Most Trusted Name in News"

“We Don’t Touch It, You Decide!”

"No Spin Zone"

“You Break It You Buy It’

Yup they are all the same in when it comes to bias.

edit on 29-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: add

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Note that I'm not the one claiming that they are doing the exact same thing.

Note multiple posters claim that everyone one is doing what Fox is doing.

I don't think framing stories i.e. editorial slant, is the same thing as what Fox does. Fox isn't framing, they are lying and manipulating graphs and data to deliberately undermine, "facts".

I and others have asked those people making those claims to simply provide evidence to back up those claims

It's not a big ask.

And as of yet, we're getting a lot of claims, but no evidence.

However, there's tons of actual proof, like in the OP, that Fox does this all the time, deliberately.

And that Fox viewers are woefully under- and mis- informed. And that's no coincidence.

I'm going to have to assume that you did not look at every link I posted because there was indeed evidence of visual manipulation. Also, it should be noted that, at least in my OP, there was no actual evidence of "lying" per se. The graphics were just shown askew to give the illusion of being one way or the other, while they are still in the realms of being legal. Not that I'm saying news sources do not lie.

So, to further reiterate, if you are just going to compare graphical manipulation from Fox to graphical manipulation from Left sources, there is evidence of it.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Oh come on, you are saying the same as gladtobehere - to which I commented up above. Fox does lie, or not? Which examples can you offer for some "leftist"-lies? How about some prove? Or even something conspicious?

Otherwise, my statement from above stands undefeated.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's a safe bet that fudging statistics is the least of any major media outlet's transgressions.

Just goes to show these clowns are here for entertainment purposes only.

There really should be a disclaimer.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
ALL the news networks and I mean ALL lie, skew statistics and outright tell the viewer what they want to hear.

It doesn't matter if it is a left leaning network or a right leaning network they all cater to the party they support.

If you don't believe that fact then I don't know what to tell you.

News should be just the FACTS and people can make up their own minds but instead they fill peoples heads with talking points and tell you what to believe......and it works for 95% of the population.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
At least watch the one of Megan Kelly with all the LOLs its woth it.

Fox News Creates False Obama Contradiction on Immigration?

Megyn Kelly

Bill hates how Obama uses teleprompter

Fox is fun to watch for entertainment but you actually become less informed by watching it.

edit on 29-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: add picture

edit on 29-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: add

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why the constant and ongoing demonization of Fox news?

I mean Geez, sure they may right leaning, but compared to the other 6 or 7 that are left leaning, are they really that much of a threat?
Is the goal of the left wing agenda total annihilation of anything that stands for conservative principles?
Are honest debates now that much of a hassle to deal with?

Obama won the election, so what gives?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join