It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXPOSED: Here Are The Tricks That Fox News Uses To Manipulate Statistics On Its Graphics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

I was a reporting analyst for a call center company. One of the mantras of the trade is "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure".

Reporting 101: people don't look at numbers, they look at pictures. Paint the picture, they will believe what you want them to believe.

There are techniques that I am pretty good at using that can truly make a real turd look like a diamond in a goats butt. As long as the audience is not actually evaluating the numbers.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

EXPOSED: Here Are The Tricks That Fox News Uses To Manipulate Statistics On Its Graphics

www.businessinsider.com

A lot of the issue comes in the way the data is presented. While most of the time the data is grounded in fact, by skewing the axes, using the wrong kind of chart, or just changing where the points should be on the graph, Fox is able to change the way that the information is interpreted.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Oh noooooo's!!! You've discovered what every industry has done to manipulate honest numbers to reflect a specific agenda.... Fox, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC all use these tactics as a form of pushing their ideology of how they want the agenda to move. Businesses do this to advance an argument all the time as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

Oh come on, you are saying the same as gladtobehere - to which I commented up above. Fox does lie, or not? Which examples can you offer for some "leftist"-lies? How about some prove? Or even something conspicious?

Otherwise, my statement from above stands undefeated.

It's interesting that you play dumb, when examples are posted pretty regularly on these forums. Do your own research. The fact is, you are happy to turn your head when the lies and spin are helping to further an agenda YOU agree with. So hypocritical and deluded that you think it's not obvious to anyone reading.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Awesome thread. Thanks for the link.

I agree that ALL mainstream media engages in some combination of lies, omission, dramaticization, and propaganda, however I still think fox does it considerably worse than most I've seen.

I invite anyone to show me similar "infographics" from other major news outlets which are equally as skewed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Then finding that data should be quite easy, a challenge to you then! Find me CNN doing this by your own admittance it should be right out in the open!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

Oh come on, you are saying the same as gladtobehere - to which I commented up above. Fox does lie, or not? Which examples can you offer for some "leftist"-lies? How about some prove? Or even something conspicious?

Otherwise, my statement from above stands undefeated.

It's interesting that you play dumb, when examples are posted pretty regularly on these forums. Do your own research. The fact is, you are happy to turn your head when the lies and spin are helping to further an agenda YOU agree with. So hypocritical and deluded that you think it's not obvious to anyone reading.

If its so obvious, post examples.

Otherwise... Consider you might be wrong.

After all, people that watch Fox are the least informed of cable news viewers:

www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html

In fact, watching Fox News makes people less informed than watching no news:

m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/politics/blogs/national-affairs/study-watching-fox-news-actually-makes-you-less-informed-20120524&seenSplash=1

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its not just the mainstream media that takes part in this madness, some of the very sources that some of us use as credible probably use similar tactics. People have been using skewed statistics to support agendas for decades, from religious reasons, to political ones.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Basically what I'm saying is that all mainstream/corporate media is garbage whether its Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc.

But I suppose that your brain washing and bias is making it difficult to understand my point?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The way FOX manipulates is not just lkie all the others.
They take it way farther. The comparisons do not equate.

I always hear "the left does the same thing"
Well then why are we always busting FOX?

They have the most viewers, (which means they are the MSM btw)
So it shouldn't be too hard to get evidence that's on par with their nonsense right?
You know, to prove how their just like the rest.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

IN ONE, IN ONE, IN ONE

It took exactly one post for someone to bring up "the other side"

The topic of the thread was fox news and then BOOM. I can't believe it, this is a new record. Congrats galdtobehere, you're the type of poster that bridges the gap between ATS and GLP.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So that pie chart was from the 2012 Presidential run? I wasn't aware that Palin and Huckabee ran in 2012. Either that is a false graphic never used by Fox or it was a graphic from 2008 they threw in during the 2012 cycle. I'm inclined to think that the guy used a graphic, slapped in the Fox news logo at the botton and put fake GOP names with 2012. If they were going to be accurate they should use actual screen shots, but I guess that's too much to ask for. Shame on Business Insider for running that piece of Pro Democrat propaganda. All the lefties here swallowed the hook.

Either way, Palin was the most popular. And she was just running VP.
edit on 29-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sirric

such as the Republican and Democratic parties in the United States share common interests and goals, as

Yes, quite true. An example of the collusion would be both Republican and Democrat members of CFR working together for some agenda the NWO wants to have happen. Even the person in charge of Sesame Street is a member of CFR. I was in shock when I read that, no on second thought, I always thought Sesame Street was a horrid, scattered program, and after I read that CFR runs it, it made sense. Most of the MSM have CFR members as controlling interests. Many Skull and Bones members go on to become CFR or have positions in finance or other powerful interests. 2004, when John Kerry and Bush Jr both representing Skull and Bones, represented both sides of the Hegelian dialectic.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Are they then you won't mind posting an example right now... It's easy right? Get me the article that is like this one but about CNN. Otherwise your like every other right wing moron here that speaks without information, Romney taught you guys something I guess.
edit on 29-11-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Well if the others do it then it should be common knowledge an extremely easy to find. So please get the articles for me that discuss this exact topic but with CNN as the culprit, we'll start there.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by Bearack

Well if the others do it then it should be common knowledge an extremely easy to find. So please get the articles for me that discuss this exact topic but with CNN as the culprit, we'll start there.

I could search CNN, but here is a PRIME example of MSNBC changing the facts for their own agenda.

Oh, and in case you missed it!

Notice how that white racist got a nice tan!

edit on 29-11-2012 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Get a grip on yourself they all lie. I'm surprise u haven't figure it out, since u are part of this site. I would think people on here are more awake.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother
reply to post by antonia

I agree with this, 99%.

I would only disagree to the extent that I think there is a small (and essentially powerless) left in America.

But yeah, America is on average Center-Right. Obama is Center-Right. Most of the TV news is Center-Right.

It reflects the population.

The Left in the U.S. died after McGovern lost. In the U.S. being "leftist" is merely not being right-wing enough. I've given up on the idea of people here even understanding it though.
edit on 29-11-2012 by antonia because: wrong word

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

reply to post by Bearack

I could search CNN, but here is a PRIME example of MSNBC changing the facts for their own agenda.

huh?....changing what facts? that there are racists in this country that own semi-auto's, and hate obama because of his race???.... i am a white male who lives in california, but i have been to the south....believe me, racism is alive and well, and in full operating mode down there. in fact, even here in california all along the foothills, you will see many confederate flags on pickup trucks. and the few times i have been around these people, obama is called the N-word most all the time

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Bearack

reply to post by Bearack

huh?....changing what facts? that there are racists in this country that own semi-auto's, and hate obama because of his race???.... i am a white male who lives in california, but i have been to the south....believe me, racism is alive and well, and in full operating mode down there. in fact, even here in california all along the foothills, you will see many confederate flags on pickup trucks. and the few times i have been around these people, obama is called the N-word most all the time

Never did I EVER say there is no racism nor did I tried to elude to such a claim. Like my original point, they take truths and stretch them to meet their own agenda. The MSNBC monolog was about a man carrying an AR15 to a health care rally that was near where the president was talking. They made the insinuation that this man was a racist and refused to show his identity to form a judgement for their audience that this was a white racist that could hurt Obama. If they had showed the mans face, their argument would have been hollow, would it not?

And regards the N-word. I have two co-workers that call each other the N-word nearly 50 times during the day while they lambaste me as a cracker.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Nice find although that doesn't show 'graph' manipulation but your close. Star for you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join