It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart bans Jon Stewart's Book

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I got to agree with FredT here if it werent for wal-mart we couldnt get by. Not just because of the prices but because to one near my house is a Super Center and if you live outside of town every mile counts with gas prices what they are.

And like it or not a company has a right to sell or not sell WHATEVER it wants.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
And like it or not a company has a right to sell or not sell WHATEVER it wants.

True. The freedom to control information is just as legal as the freedom to have the information we as Americans are entitled to.

Wait... no it isn't! HEY!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
The freedom to control information is just as legal as the freedom to have the information we as Americans are entitled to.

Wait... no it isn't! HEY!!!

When Walmart has a monopoly on the world book market, you might have a valid argument. Let's face it, the only reason you posted this thread was to take a cheapshot at Walmart and the American free market economy.

[edit on 04/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
True. The freedom to control information is just as legal as the freedom to have the information we as Americans are entitled to.

Wal mart is a privite business and has the right to sell or not sell ANY PRODUCT it wants. As Grady mentioned Wal-Mart does not control the book market there are book stores on every corner.

Now if the Government banned the book then THAT is censorship

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Wal mart is a privite business and has the right to sell or not sell ANY PRODUCT it wants. As Grady mentioned Wal-Mart does not control the book market there are book stores on every corner.

Now if the Government banned the book then THAT is censorship

I don't shop at Wally, but I do agree with that. It becomes wrong when they censor uncensored material and sell it, even worse, sell it without letting the customer base know it was censored, and worse YET - won't let you return the damn thing! (referring to the Walmart only censored music CD's)

Misfit

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And, guess what? After all the other stores are forced to close, run out of town, etc.- Now, what do you think Wal Mart is going to do with their prices? Remember now, when there is no competitors because you have done got rid of them, you can now start raising prices, and charging whatever you want. Then who is going to afford what? Think about it.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
[ (referring to the Walmart only censored music CD's)

Misfit

People still BUY music?

They should at least warn you it has been censored, I think legaly you could force the to refund your money if they didnt

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A damn Yankee ( worst kind too, a New Yorker !
)
I curse like a sailor. I'm a big fan of Jon Stewarts; especially after he flamed Tucker "cheney's first Name" Carlson. But, I don't have a problem with WalMart not putting the book on the shelves.....too much.
Let the books be stored like video games or put in shrink wrap.
I grew up dirty blue collar, so regardless of what scratch I pocket now, I know the value of saving money. For basics, I do shop WalMart.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

People still BUY music?

They should at least warn you it has been censored, I think legaly you could force the to refund your money if they didnt

They should, but didnt (for all I know still don't)
I am sure that would be a hands down case - BUT, what little man bustin' his butt for a living can (1) hire an attorney to start with (2) quit makin' a living eveytime court proceeding happen trying to fight a corporation?

MIsfit

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Amuk and FredT,

If Walmart is the only way people can by.....how the hell did they get by before Walmart was so widespread? Sorry, that makes no sense to me...
I don't see Walmart as the Atlas (Titan not book) of the working class.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I actually just went to Wal Mart today to see if they had the book at a decent price. They must have seen me coming.

[edit on 043131p://444 by socrepLT]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join