It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Shock Diamond!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
So here goes my second attempt at this thread.. hehe... I posted it a few hours ago, but it was removed because of content. I've removed the offending statement and am hoping now I can get the feedback I'm hoping for!!

Hello again ATS! I would like to share my story with you today and in the process, hopefully generate some interest in my project. I would ask anyone and everyone who cares to get involved to send me input on this subject (if you don’t mind that is), mostly because I’m entering the stage of my project where I can no longer continue on my own effort….

So here’s some background…

On July 15 1998 while on my lunch break, I decided I was going to build my own rocket and blast myself off into orbit. Kind of a crazy thing to just decide over chicken soup, but hey, we all need to do something with our lives… At the time, I was working in a Matchbook factory and I think being around highly explosive chemicals all day was what first inspired me. On that fateful day, I finished my lunch, went downstairs, and built my first ever rocket engine. It was just two pepsi cans cut in half, filled with match heads, and tapped together with duct tape. I punched a hole in the base with my knife, lit the fuse, and my first ever homemade rocket flew up and up and up! It went a whole 8 feet in the air! At that moment I realized, the basics of rocketry are pretty straight forward… How little I knew…

I spent about 4 weeks putting together a proposal for my boss, I suggested to him that with the chemicals we used in match making, we could make solid fuel rocket boosters. Unfortunately for me the boss was a jerk and stopped me after 3 minutes into my presentation. He basicly told me that he was convinced I would use the chemicals for more illicit purposes and wouldn't even hear me out. This broke my heart because up until that moment, I looked up to this guy.

We had a physical confrontation….and I quit, after pocketing a few grams of fuel and oxidizer.
I went home and got to work…

Within a month, I came up with an extremely energetic mixture and packed it into a 1/16 inch diameter brass tube, 2 cm long. I put the tube on the pad and lit the fuse. It exploded… When mixing the next batch, I found out the hard way that my mixture was WAY too sensitive. It exploded while I was mixing it. No harm done though, I knew enough at the time to only mix in small quantities…

after almost killing myself and burning down my garage, I concluded that perhaps solid fuel was the wrong way to go. So I started experiments with liquid fuel...

Many years passed, and I wasn’t getting any closer…

Then, about 3 years ago, I was watching Mythbusters and they were doing the confederate rocket myth. They said that the confederate rocket used wax as the fuel, and NOX for the oxidiser. So I started experimenting with wax…

My first super energetic mixture came when I melted a 1 oz block of white candle wax and mixed in 1 fl/oz of kerosene. When it cools, it has the consistency of butter, and when oxidised with atmosphere (compressed air; 100psi, 65 cfm) it burns at over 3000 deg/f (my thermometer only goes to 3200…)
At this time, I had an armada of test engines at my disposal. Just simple combustion chambers built from spent propane torch bottles. They are all designed similarly to pulse-jets only they won’t sustain the pulse detonation cycle on their own. My jets are effectively just compressed air jets. I only built them in order to test the stability of my fuel and to test my fuel delivery system…

Over the past 3 years, I’ve refined my fuel mixture and have come up with an extremely powerful mixture, and just the other day while testing it, I was able to produce my first shock diamond! This picture shows the shock diamond forming and I’m just using compressed air! I can only imagine how much power this stuff would make with NOX or even better, LOX!

Now it’s worth noting that the test engine cannot make thrust. Well, it makes negligible thrust. The test engine in my picture can only punch out 1/3 lbs of thrust, but I wasn’t testing thrust, I was looking for exhaust velocity. My most powerful test engine can 3 lbs thrust without a nozzle, 12 lbs with. But it's too scary to stand next to while it's running!!!

So now I’m at the point in my little adventure where I’m ready to build my first prototype engine.

The craft I’m looking to build will have 3 sources of propulsion. As I was figuring out my fuel mixture, I was also working on engine designs. When I first started using wax, I had decided that for inter-atmospheric flight I would use pulsejets for subsonic and a ram jet for supersonic. Once leaving the atmosphere, fire the rocket. While researching pulse-jets, I came across plans for the Gluhareff pressure jet.

Gluhareff Pressure jet - tipjet.com...
www.pulse-jets.com...

After learning how it ran, I decided it would be a better engine than a pulse jet as it would interface with my fuel better. I say this, because the Gluey pressure jet uses heat from combustion to pressurize the fuel which works out really great since that’s how I pressurize my fuel…

Jeepers, I have a lot more info that I want to share, but at the same time I don’t want to bore you. So I’ll wrap it up...

I'm not smart enough to park a rocket into orbit, I really need someone to help me learn the finer points of orbital mechanics. I also am at a loss for making inexpensive heat shields, so any input there would be great. I also need help with aerodynamics. If anyone here can lend a hand in any way on this, I would appreciate it. I can't pay you, but if I pull this off I'll definetly share my success with any and all who have given me input.

Most of my friends think I’ve lost my mind. I’m sure a lot of people here might think I’ve lost my mind, and I don’t care. I’m going into outer-space from my backyard in a spacecraft I’m planning on building out of scrap… But mark my words, I WILL be the first backyard astronaut.

Probly gonna die trying tho… oh well, these things happen…

This is my first post on the subject. I intend on keeping you all informed of my progress, assuming of course theres any intrest in this...

Robb

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I read your earlier post, didn't have much to say but starred and flagged you.

Very cool that you are doing this, hope you don't die! Also hope you keep us updated - videos are nice. I love reading about amateur inventors and tinkerers, nice to know there are people who aren't afraid to get a little dirty, or your case, burnt.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
For the member that do not know what shock Diamond are here
www.aerospaceweb.org...

35 year ago just out of high school I made a Supercharger jet engine it had 2 to 3 diamond
Use Propane when engine got hot I would turn the 20 lb bottle upside down.
when the liquid propane the hot engine I got my March diamond.
Did not let anybody near it.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I read your earlier post, didn't have much to say but starred and flagged you.

Very cool that you are doing this, hope you don't die! Also hope you keep us updated - videos are nice. I love reading about amateur inventors and tinkerers, nice to know there are people who aren't afraid to get a little dirty, or your case, burnt.

hey thanx! I have video footage to post still, but I have to edit it first.. All my vids are 2 minutes of me trying to get it to light and then 20 seconds of opperation! hehe... I'm working on the vids right now, I'll have them up in a few hours.

For the member that do not know what shock Diamond are here
www.aerospaceweb.org...

35 year ago just out of high school I made a Supercharger jet engine it had 2 to 3 diamond
Use Propane when engine got hot I would turn the 20 lb bottle upside down.
when the liquid propane the hot engine I got my March diamond.
Did not let anybody near it.

I suppose I could've defined what a shock diamond was, thanx! I've been wanting to build a turbocharger jet engine, but I don't have the cash for the raw materials (turbo's are expensive!) But I've seen quite a few on youtube. WAY COOL!

Robb

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is insane!
BUT POSSIBLE!, Mate i believe you can do it if you have someone to help you out.

I find what you are doing uniquely fascinating. All i can say is keep doing what you are doing safely, With all intention i encourage & admire stuff like this as if say your project was successful, I can ensure you Billions of people around the world would admire & be inspired to think of ways to inventing things without having to spend tons of cash.

Please Create Iron Man Like Suit With Flying Legs!!
edit on 10-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Just being realistic here, as there are many problems. First, there is no way, with your fuel system, that you are going to be able to generate enough constant thrust to reach earth's escape velocity, considering that your hypothetical craft, if it could withstand the forces that we are talking about here, is going to be relatively heavy. There are so many problems that I really do not know what else to say. If by some miracle you could put a small craft into space, which would be so difficult for one person without quite a bit of funding, there is the huge problem of navigating while in space, even if only for a short time. If you get to tumbling, or some other catastrophe occurs, you will have to have a ship that has the means to correct these types of problems.

And if you actually produce enough velocity to escape earth's gravity without blowing yourself and your craft up, there is the problem of re-entry into the atmosphere. I have seen guys who spend their lives building large rockets on their own, and I doubt even they could or would attempt something like this. Think about how large your craft will have to be, considering that it takes quite a bit of thrust to put one pound of weight into orbit.

Your life pod will have to be sitting on top of a whole lot of fuel, therefore your rocket is going to need to be at least 4 feet wide, and probably at least 10 feet tall, if not taller. The majority of the height, in my opinion, will be set aside for fuel. Liquid fuel is the only possible way to achieve what you are talking about as well. Obtaining that much will not be easy either, although it is possible. Also, you are starting from scratch. Entire countries spent billions of dollars simply developing a rocket that did not blow up on the pad.

You are basically going to need something that looks similar to an early V2. And that rocket was extremely advanced for its time, and is still rather advanced for an amateur today. I usually do not attempt to discourage people from doing what they want to do, but in this case, I think you should shelf the idea. You could definitely build a relatively large rocket, although you are going to need FAA clearance to launch it, which is just another problem on a long list of problems...But drop the idea of putting yourself in it. There is over a 90% chance of failure, judging by the information posted in your thread. So I actually do mean to be disheartening, as I do not want to see you kill yourself.

And getting killed in an accident is quite probable when dealing with liquid fuel and other components in a homemade rocket. If you are determined to continue with your quest, I suggest that your main priority be testing every single aspect of your craft, multiple times, before even getting near it at launch time. The odds are that it will either explode on the bad, or if it gets airborne, it likely will not be stable. I suggest you learn as much mathematics as you can as well, and use those tools in your planning stages. What you are considering, as I said, very few people could probably do. It is possible, but to maintain safety standards, a large budget would be required. The kind of budget the majority of us do not have.

Also, do some research on the internet, and watch homemade rocket videos on Youtube, dealing with construction techniques, etc. Learn all you can before attempting anything, because in a field like this, trial and error is not always the safest route. So be safe, and be realistic, and educate yourself as much as possible on not only the subject itself, but the inherent dangers associated with launching a large rocket. Take care, and good luck.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

so do have accses to a suit, do u have a re entry plan or is it a one way trip?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Here on ATS you will have many naysayers.

I for one congratulate you on your ingenuity and especially...Passion.

I wish you well in your endeavors and hope you keep us updated.

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Hey Jiggy, thanks for jumping in. Thats the kind of realistic feedback I need! Its pretty easy to get very excited about this and loose sight of the reality. I am familiar with the sheer impossibility of this, especially on a shoe-string budget! It's my hope that by the time I fire up my scale model I'll have enough intrest generated that if the scale test is successfull, I should be able to ask investors for help. My target budget is

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You sir, are the type of people we need. Self sacrificing and so close to the edge of chaotic good it makes my heart glow. You see the future, you see the lack of movement in our species. You understand our brilliance, our brawn. When we first started sailing the seas, we lost ships, men and women died. We kept at it, we developed new methods, became efficient and successful. Soon, through hobbyists and private space companies, we too will become proficient at space travel. Little steps first, like your goal of eventual orbit of the Earth.

I congratulate you on your dreams. Some of the truest and greatest aspirations I have ever heard. Start a Kickstarter, I will pitch you 10 er every payday and I bet some other people will too.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I want to be involved. In exchange i only ask you to place a small sattelite in orbit when you get to that point. I would also like to go to space. I will gladly help you anyway i can, including buying you things.....

I have a car im getting ready to scrap, it has a mitsubishi/volvo td04-13c that i believe to work on it. Ive never run it with the turbo but there is zero play. Its not that big but i will give it to you if you want it. This is a watercooled turbo, you dont need to watercool it....just dont use those lines. Im sure you know that you have to provide pressurized oil to a turbo, they use fluid bearings.

I paid $35 for that turbo by the way. Junkyards

If you send me a private message i can give you my phone number and we can text...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Nice to hear someone is being inventive! But,without oxygen or a landing plan, you probably will die....so before you go killing yourself, maybe you should think about creating a new form of a jet pack so people can travel around? What about that idea? ..good luck in your rocket work.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The OP appears to have a decent understanding of chemistry, however what worries me is his lack of understanding in other areas. Rocket science... well it's rocket science, and there are so many countless things which need to be accounted for. One does not simply design a craft capable of space travel without an intimate knowledge of physics, very strong mathematical skills, and hardcore problem solving skills... but even then it's hardly a one man job. I would really suggest getting some professionals in to help design the craft.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Nice to hear someone is being inventive! But,without oxygen or a landing plan, you probably will die....so before you go killing yourself, maybe you should think about creating a new form of a jet pack so people can travel around? What about that idea? ..good luck in your rocket work.

Jet packs use too much fuel to be able to do more than a few seconds of flight

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i'll just get it out of the way, future darwin award winner here.

its actually an honor for ats to have such a strong candidate for next years contest.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea!!!
I have been following Copenhagen Suborbitals for some time
now. They are working on single person rockets and re-entry.
I think it would be a fantastic, adventurous, thrilling ride!!!
Best of luck to you!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wow! I was hoping people would get into this, but to be honest I didn't think anyone would.. Thanks for the offers! I'm not prepared to start panhandling, though.. But if you guys are serious then.. I'll look into getting something set up for donations.

Phroziac - If I can get up there, I'd definetly put up a satelite for you! I'll send you a msg when I get home from work, it would be nice to have some one to collaberate with.

Aaron - A tremendous offer, thank you. As I progress I will need assistance in ALL areas financial and technical. If you really want to help, then I really want your help! The more people that get in on it the better. Community accoplishments are better than individual ones..

Chaotic - I appreciate you putting it down straight! I know full well that I"m going in over my head and thats partly why I am here. Designing a spaceship is definetly well beyond my capabilities! Now I do have a decent understanding of chemistry, but physics is my gig. I have an associates degree in electrical engineering and I'm professionally employed as an automotive service tech. I know theres a bit of a difference between cars and space craft, but at least I have loads of experience in working with engines and electrical systems. I definetly need help designing though!

Random - Thats exactly what my friend said, so you'd be the second!! First on the boards though... I could give you my autograph if you want... It might be worth something and unless I'm mistaken, it would be the first ever autograph signed by a Darwin Award recipient...

Once again, thanks for feedback. Knowing some of you are interested in this just makes me more excited about it!

And thats my lunch... I gotta get back to work!!

Robb

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
good luck and bon voyage!!!!

hows about a camera instead of your flesh for the first launch?.
edit on 10-11-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Mate just do me one favour...

Take a note out of Felix's book and pack a chute.

Even if you don't make it its gonna be one hell of a way to leave this world.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

+ 1 Star for DIY rocketry!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join