It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is voting so complicated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
They should just give everyone in the US one month to cast their vote.
Then they should use the following weeks to count up all the votes.
Then after they have every vote added up, announce the winner.

This electoral college deal we have going on is nonsense.
All this does is purposely complicate elections and confuse people.
All this does is give the media an excuse to fill our screens and minds with absolutely irrelevant information.

This is not true democracy.

edit on 7-11-2012 by SamTGonzalez because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Check out a Canadian election, it takes us forever to count up all the votes and we have 1/10 your population

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Agreed with the voting month thing.
Of course, if you dig even a little bit, you will see why many don't want voting days extended..all about demographics of who early votes...

As far as popular vote V electorial, I agree overall. make all votes matter, not just specific states. however, some fear that if you do that, only heavy urban areas will be the only important areas on the map. Typically whoever wins the electorial votes also wins the popular vote. its remarkable when someone wins one and not the other (see Bush).

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Voting is more than just complicated, it's unnecessary. We have (had) constitutional rights, which were won not through voting but through revolution, do not forget this, but now we have to vote for ron paul to get our rights back which were stolen by the patriot act, or vote for gary johnson because at some point some bozo decided a plant was a weapon of mass destruction, or vote for romney because the government is forcing us to get health insurance, or voting for obama because otherwise gays couldn't marry, but if we had rights, we could care less about our dear "leader", and be able to do all those things and more. And of course, rights are naturally endowed and not given to us by a government, so if we had a backbone and will of our own, voting would be irrelevant.
edit on 7-11-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Of course it's not a true Democracy, it was NEVER intended to be. It's a Democratic Republic.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

First thing you need to do is learn the difference - I don't mean to sound harsh or disrespectful, but it is important that you know the difference and understand the cons and pros of each.

Voting isn't that complicated. Learn the issues, register, and either cast your ballot by mail early or show up to your local polling place on election day. It's really, really simple - easier to understand than a cell phone contract.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Of course it's not a true Democracy, it was NEVER intended to be. It's a Democratic Republic.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

First thing you need to do is learn the difference - I don't mean to sound harsh or disrespectful, but it is important that you know the difference and understand the cons and pros of each.

Voting isn't that complicated. Learn the issues, register, and either cast your ballot by mail early or show up to your local polling place on election day. It's really, really simple - easier to understand than a cell phone contract.

I know the difference between a democracy and a democratic republic. And what's the point of learning the issues, registering, and voting, if my vote does not matter? Our founding fathers intended for this country to be a true democracy. Instead, we get this bull every four years. Do you really think any of our political views are going to effect the 2016 election? If you think they will, I'm sorry that your logic has lead you to that belief. I'm not here to discuss the voting process, or how voting works, I'm just trying to wake some people up. I feel like every thing that comes on the news is a sick joke.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamTGonzalez

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

I know the difference between a democracy and a democratic republic. And what's the point of learning the issues, registering, and voting, if my vote does not matter? Our founding fathers intended for this country to be a true democracy. Instead, we get this bull every four years. Do you really think any of our political views are going to effect the 2016 election? If you think they will, I'm sorry that your logic has lead you to that belief. I'm not here to discuss the voting process, or how voting works, I'm just trying to wake some people up. I feel like every thing that comes on the news is a sick joke.

No, our founding fathers intended for this nation to be a republic, from the get go. That's why I don't think you understand the difference.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
we dont have a democratic system, i dont why people always say that. we have a REPUBLIC. we vote for OTHER people make decisions for us. Electoral votes were used because way back when guys on horses used to carry the vote of a large group of people to a designated location. today we dont need it. its just another relic that stuck, like income tax, SS and other programs that are old and when implemented, were said to be "TEMPORARY". Apparently the government lies...go figure.

Its amazing that we cant use our social security cards to vote on a computer, in this day and age. Bt we all know the government cant even tie its own shoes with out hiring scientist, experts and hundreds of people to create a form for it. The government is to big and it is not doing what it was intended to do, it is about time we flush the toilet so to speak, our founding fathers put in provisions for us to do so regularly, but for some reason, this plastic society has become more important. In essence nobody wants to speak the truth, everyone wants to bury their heads in the sand and stay comfortable wrapped in plastic. Humans seem to forget things on a daily basis, they will be reminded sooner or later.
edit on 7-11-2012 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

join