It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expanding Earth theory could mean increasing gravity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I don't know if many can relate to this though I hope you can as it could explain many things... It's been a few years now that I have experienced joint pains and rapid fatigue. Before you shout out that I could have something medical that's wrong, know that i went for extensive testing at the doctor's and have not been diagnosed with any type of illness and all is good.

I personally don't think it has to do with my health either, I think it is an external factor that triggers this... that's where I come to my theory proposed in the thread's title. Expanding Earth theory is not new and, I don't know enough about that topic to propose my own opinion however, what if it is indeed so that the Earth is expanding?!

What would it do to its gravity? Logic would tell me that the gravity would increase with it and if gravity increases on earth, so it does on us... ergo, increased pressure on our bone structure and faster exhaustion to do the same basic functions.

Does that make sense and what is your opinion on this?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by UFCG2012AFHS

Logic would tell me that the gravity would increase with it and if gravity increases on earth, so it does on us... ergo, increased pressure on our bone structure and faster exhaustion to do the same basic functions.

The earth is getting bigger all the time. Meteorites rain down and add thousands of tons of dust to the size of the earth every year. That does increase overall gravity, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Its going to take a long time for us to notice this.

Not to worry. The rate of the expansion of the earth (or the cosmos) is so slow, you could fatigue yourself thinking about it too much.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
No the gravity should NOT increase IF the Earth expands in size, I shall explain.

The Earth will retain the same Mass, and as it expands X mass is spread out and becomes less dense.
As volume of the interior increases, density and pressure would decrease.

This in theory should lead to inner Earth cooling and a steady decrease in overall volcanic activity.
Which may or may not be happening, hard to tell with such limited data.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
There are several versions of the Expanding Earth hypothesis. Some imply increasing gravity, others don't. None of those hypotheses are supported by the mainstream science.

Read more at en.wikipedia.org...

Even if the Earth's gravity was increasing, it would happen slowly over thousands of years. You would be born adapted to the current level of gravity. Otherwise, we all would be suffering from joint pains.

Doctors aren't always right; you might be suffering from chronic fatigue, or it might be something in the environment and the food you're eating.
edit on 6-11-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Ahhh that's what it is. I thought I was just getting older and that's why I couldn't get off the couch... it's the gravity.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
However, as size increases significantly, there is a ratio that gravitational energy felt on the surface would slowly decrease as a result of getting further away from the center of gravity, the Earth core.

So although the amount of overall gravitational energy remains constant, the higher elevations of the expanding surface would cause Less gravity slowly.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
So IF the Earth is expanding, in a million years you should, in theory, weigh less than you do now despite having the same mass.

Mass is measure of atomic components, whereas weight is measure of gravitational pull.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
That is indeed an issue we humans have with physics.

Our intuitive automatic response is typically completely backwards from reality.
It is counter intuitive.

But if work through the mental exercises and question what we consider the laws of physics, than you will realize that our initial assumptions are inaccurate.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The conservation principles of physics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

This indicates that if the earth were to grow in size that it would not increase in Mass unless there was an outside force at work to add Mass to it.

Therefore it is understandable that we would use a Constant to represent Earth's mass as it is assumed to neither increase or decrease significantly in our equations in respect to this particular issue.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

although i cannot make a diagnosis of what is actually wrong with you i hope you get a correct medical opninion that leasds to satisfactory treatment

but i can tell you categorically that any alledged " increase in gravity " has nothing to do with your condition

this is because gravimeters around the world are in use - and no SIGNIFICANT GENERAL increase in earths gravity has been detected

further the calibration logs of weighing instruments world wide [ calibrated against known refference masses - that are inturn compared to an IPK - an international prototype killogram ] also fails to detect any SIGNIFICANT GENERAL increase

PS - before anyone replies - please not that i use the term " significant general increase " - very delibereatly - because there are measured gravity variations - but they are both minute and localised

so please stop worrying about gravity and consult a physisian who takes your symptoms seriously - and looks propperly for a cause

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
No the gravity should NOT increase IF the Earth expands in size, I shall explain.

The Earth will retain the same Mass, and as it expands X mass is spread out and becomes less dense.
As volume of the interior increases, density and pressure would decrease.

This in theory should lead to inner Earth cooling and a steady decrease in overall volcanic activity.
Which may or may not be happening, hard to tell with such limited data.

Two problems with this. 1) who's to say the volume inside the Earth is increasing as the Earth expands. it's not a balloon being blown up. There may be an infinite amount of materials being created to continually create new land. and 2) earth is getting pummeled by space rocks all the time. Over the eons, this matter adds to the earths mass.

IME (in my estimation) The Earth could be involved in a cycle. What matter really ever leaves the Earth? Not much Id say. but there are space rocks hitting the earth all the time adding to the Earth itself. Over time materials are broken down and get fed back into the soil and then again in time, the Earth vomits them up again in the form of lava. Seems to me if earth is growing it's growing from within by continually recycling the raw materials Earth gets from space. Therefore, a slow process humans won't notice But, a definite effect on Mass of the Earth.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

However, as size increases significantly, there is a ratio that gravitational energy felt on the surface would slowly decrease as a result of getting further away from the center of gravity, the Earth core.

So although the amount of overall gravitational energy remains constant, the higher elevations of the expanding surface would cause Less gravity slowly.

So which is it.. gravity related to density or mass?

I don't believe we have any real clue how gravity works. I think scientists are remiss not to consider gravity as being related to electrical energy and magnetic fields. I think this is why mainstream science is missing the mark. In other words, nor mass or density is the final answer.
edit on 6-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So, you are saying that a person standing on the moon weighs more than they do on the earth, because they are closer to the centre of the moon?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

although i cannot make a diagnosis of what is actually wrong with you

I find your reply to OP's question to be wholly without merit, cause, or purpose.... and furthermore, to be uncivilized.

OP asked a simple, straightforward question, and you accuse them of having a mental illness?

You need to take a step backwards and re-examine your life, because you are failing at it poorly.

YES, the gravity of the earth is increasing.

Explained in my next post.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

So which is it.. gravity related to density or mass?

I don't believe we have any real clue how gravity works. I think scientists are remiss not to consider gravity as being related to electrical energy and magnetic fields. I think this is why mainstream science is missing the mark. In other words, nor mass or density is the final answer.
edit on 6-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

Weight, can be calculated as :

Weight = Mass X Gravitational acceleration.
equations

You are correct mankind does not yet fully understand the nature of gravity, however we are able to do basic calculations with reasonable accuracy on simple issues such as this.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

The conservation principles of physics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Yeah, I'm not buying that principle either. That is only there to illustrate how energy has been observed behaving. I submit that we can really never know if it is possible to actually create energy - at least at our present level of baby like technology. If energy cannot ever be created - then how was it created in the first place? What that is saying essentially is that Energy is God. ( it is claimed god has no creator either and simply always was and always will be)

We know how to transform the energy of an atom into a powerful bomb - increasing the potential of that energy - is this not creating energy? ( I know the arguments just seems like the answers are too simplified to be believable) If every atom in one square inch of hydrogen atoms were all exploded at one time, it would be enough to destroy the solar system as we know it. I believe energy can be created, we just don't know how this is possible. If it's possible, and there can be no facts to say otherwise, then it is an unknown. Science cannot, must not make such statements such as unknowns are impossible simple because we haven't observed that yet. I submit to you, energy has never been observed being created - not because it's impossible, but because we don't know where and how to look yet.

This being even a remote possibility, makes science out to be a liar imo. Why would they lie about this - the reasons are numerous and obvious.

O.k. I'm done now LOL.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

So, you are saying that a person standing on the moon weighs more than they do on the earth, because they are closer to the centre of the moon?

No because the moon has significantly less Mass than the earth. its not a reasonable comparison.
But if you go further away from the center of gravity, gravitational acceleration decreases and therefore weight decreases. Mass remains constant.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Technically, yes.... the earth is expanding, as all gravitational bodies are want to do (exceptions being stars, who lose mass through solar winds, surface ejecta, etcetera)

The phenomenon is known in astrophysics circles as Accretion:

en.wikipedia.org...

IT is one of the primary theoretical explinations for planetary formation, in that gas, dust, rocks, and other matter in space begin collecting together by their mutual gravitational attraction, and collect into larger and larger masses..... Eventually forming solid rocky bodies.

This process is by no means complete, EVER... although it does decrease in speed as most of the mass in the solar system is collected into the planets.

During the initial formative stages of a solar system, the accretion is quite rapid (in relation to geological ages), and as the total amount of free matter in the solar system is subsumed into these planets, the rate of accretion slows down to a near crawl.

Furthermore, Hydrogen ejecta from the Sun (Solar Winds) is calculated at about the mass of mount Everest every day.

Some of this mass makes its way to the earth, and increases the mass of the planet, and this kind of thing happens all of the time... even transmuting elements in the upper atmosphere (Nitrogen to Carbon, for example, or other such elemental transmutations from high energy particle collisions)

Naturally, this accretion that I am speaking of is not fast enough to increase the gravity of the planet over a time-scale as short as one human lifetime, or even dozens of human lifetimes.

Naturally, this process (at current rates of deposition) would take millions of years to make a noticeable difference on the planetary gravitational well (it's mass, and size)

So, to answer your question, YES the earth is expanding, Yes the gravity is increasing, No, it's not fast enough to have any significant change in your lifetime.

Hope this helps!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
We can do equations to explain some facets of Gravity but I'm yet to see an all encompassing one.

The equation highlighted above requires us to "believe" that Gravity is a force.

How can this be??
edit on 6-11-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

as size increases significantly, there is a ratio that gravitational energy felt on the surface would slowly decrease

No because the moon has significantly less Mass than the earth. its not a reasonable comparison.
But if you go further away from the center of gravity, gravitational acceleration decreases and therefore weight decreases. Mass remains constant.

Nuh-Uh... you ain't talking your way out of this one.

You explicitly stated that if the EARTH gained mass, that you would WEIGH LESS because you would be farther from the centre of the planet.

You dun goofed... and you are not getting away with it.

<<   2  3 >>

join