It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were the ones restarting civilisation,...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
what art would you leave, and where, for future generations to learn about history and us?

it was this thread that got me thinking:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are stone faces from the stoneage, left for us to discover... it made me wonder what we'd leave for future generations to discover if there were to be some cataclysmic event that wipes out most of us... how would we warn future generations how to treat our earth, how to behave toward each other, and how would we leave it... carvings? paintings? papyri?

although i'd want it to be profound to a point, i can't help having a little giggle at making bums in stone, so that future generations could say we were all obsessed by posteriors!

what would you do?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
We will have a legacy left for future generations in all the underground bunkers, storage areas, etc. Unfortunately, when future peoples find them they might think of how savage we were.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

When you say 'Restarting civilization', do you mean what would I leave behind from this time period? With today's technology, wouldn't this be too easy? Place a computer in a sealed compartment with CD's of everything we know.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

unfortunately you're right, but i'm talking about artforms... if not stone bums, then i'd thought some kind of cartoon drawing of some description, so that they have a chance of understanding it because chances are the languages will have mutated by then too.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

that's cheating! i'm thinking more about the sort of stuff that can survive after a thousand years...artwork...no computers allowed! lol!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Kinda like Tabula rasa I'd leave nothing, and let them figure it all out again you never know there version of the Sistine chapel might be even better!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would leave them Andy Warhol´s BMW M1.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
then i'd thought some kind of cartoon drawing of some description, so that they have a chance of understanding it because chances are the languages will have mutated by then too.

You're in good company I think some of our early civilizations were far thinking then.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
these were left by previuos survivors of a major catastrophy...

we are just beginning to figure out what they meant [pdf. link]
preview.tinyurl.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

preview.tinyurl.com...

yeah...great. What does it mean?

A message is only good if it can be comprehended.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Near where I live there is an elementary school with stone tablets depicting the continents one tablet per continent they are repeated three times as you walk around the school.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think after restarting civilization, the new generation would eventually grow jealous of any major mark I would want to leave for the distant future and destroy it within a few centuries under the guise of holy retribution! I mean, what else would they blame temporary hard times on after I'm gone? Or how else would their enemies let them know that they have been thoroughly defeated?

But those clocks that are being built in mountains are a good idea IMO.

longnow.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

When you say 'Restarting civilization', do you mean what would I leave behind from this time period? With today's technology, wouldn't this be too easy? Place a computer in a sealed compartment with CD's of everything we know.

Yes,a big box of my unused cd's to let them speculate on what they were used for.

Were they decorations,weapons, jewelry???

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Nice idea, although I'd like to pick and choose which parts of knowledge to pass on, such as how to make electricity, and which parts to leave out, such as religion.

However, having witnessed what mankind has done to the world in the past 200 years, if I were the last man on earth I wouldn't want to start it all over again, I'd kill the last woman so she couldn't either (just in case there were any more last survivors).

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

preview.tinyurl.com...

I did a thread on that once.

The pictures in reference are of what is known as squatting man.

www.theplasmaverse.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by milominderbinder

preview.tinyurl.com...

I did a thread on that once.

The pictures in reference are of what is known as squatting man.

www.theplasmaverse.com...

WHOA!! That's NUTS!!!

I must say...THANK YOU!!!

In general, I'm a bit of a physics, math, and history nut....and I gotta say...I've NEVER heard of this before. I skimmed the article, but will read it more in-depth later. It's not often that I run into something on ATS that I TRULY consider to be a bit of a mind-blower or game-changer for me.

However...THIS IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS!!!

Thanks again!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I would leave them a portable hard drive (containing all of our most vital knowledge and experience it could fit) encased in material which could protect it from electromagnetic damage, encased in some sort of airtight, corrosion resistant, and hardened container (perhaps glass?), which itself would be encased in a titanium capsule depicting the structure of atoms and the actions of electrons, etc. including etchings of mathematical formulas having to do with electricity and the storage and transformation of data.

This capsule would be further encased in a larger titanium shell containing similarly protected stone tablets which would be etched with formulas and writing, including a key to deciphering the tablets.

This last capsule would then be encased in a stone block, with an enormous stone structure engineered to be the most stable stone structure possible with modern technology, and both inside and outside the stone structure would be every kind of artistic representation capable of filling its surface, if for no other reason than to merely get one's attention.

This structure would be placed in an environmentally stable and friendly location to enable it to last as long as possible.

Finally, the most inner titanium shell would be sealed in such a way as to not allow anyone access until they acquired similar technology to our own which would enable them to do so.

If costs allowed, I would have several of these placed in various locations both in, on, and off planet.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

They probably tell us EVERYTHING we ever needed to know.. BUT they thought we would be a LOT smarter than we are... The same thing is everywhere across the planet.. only we think it is always religious.. WHY does everything have to be religion? I think it is telling us HOW to NOT do what they did and How to survive when TSHTF once again. Like clock work it seems.. all peoples have the same "STORIES"

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

You are welcome and looking forward on your take on it.

Got a few more up my sleeve.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

...and in the case of those two images, the Egyptian one is about towns and (hard to see from the fragment) possibly a festival and the second is a list of days (those are numbers and deities associated with them.)

I think I'd leave them something a bit meatier.
edit on 2-11-2012 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join