It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Campaign Staged Donations At Storm Relief Event

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This just strikes me as sleazy. As another poster pointed out they had to watch a ten minute video on Romney to get a jar of peanut butter. If people cannot see the disconnect this guy has with the human race they are only endorsing the Letter R and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
They both stage things...Obama conveniently brought his "Presidential Podium" with him to the Red Cross Office he visited yesterday.
www.gannett-cdn.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

That $5000 in food will be donated to the effort. That is a good thing. Gov Romney is one of the most charitable people in the USA. This past year alone he donated 29% of his income to charity and has been charitable always.

dailycaller.com...[/url] .

As far as Romney’s quote un quote charitable nature I have done my own research into it. You may be fooled but I am not.

If you want to argue how generous you think he is I authored a thread about his contribution shell game a while back. His generosity is only tied to his greed.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe now this thread can remain about the OPs topic of Romney's staged generosity.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tport17

They both stage things...Obama conveniently brought his "Presidential Podium" with him to the Red Cross Office he visited yesterday.

That $5000 in food will be donated to the effort. That is a good thing. Gov Romney is one of the most charitable people in the USA. This past year alone he donated 29% of his income to charity and has been charitable always.

Obama also met with FEMA today and refused to let any media film him. He was doing his job, and not trying to look good on camera. A week away from the election.

And as far as Romney donating 29% of his income to charities, a large portion of that went straight to his church. From what I have read, he was required to donate a portion of his income per the church's rules.

My opinion:
Romney was already scheduled to do a republican rally at that place.
After Sandy, him and his people decided they better make the rally look like a donation rally. He bought the donations and took pictures of kids giving him those donations. He did this, not because he wanted to help, but because he wanted America to see the pictures and think he was helping. The red cross won't take those food donations. The red cross says the same thing almost every disaster - we don't need food and clothes, we need money and blood.

If Romney actually cared to help, he would have quietly wrote a check to the red cross. He would be at a blood bank donating blood. The fact he made an entire spectacle of the canned food event shows he blatantly did it for the press. Even if his heart really WAS in the right place, he didn't go about it the right way.

Agree. The Red Cross specifically said they need cash, not canned goods, toiletries, or anything like that. Emergency responders don't have time to pack and unpack boxes, decide what needs to be delivered where, etc.

Now, if he'd asked everyone to donate $1, $5, or whatever, that's another story. But he showed that he has no idea how FEMA and ICS operates.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hey would love to hang out and debate about how bad Romney sucks whole being told how much I suck, lol but had a major breakdown at work, leaving and have s two hour drive to take my son trick or treating ...

Let me take the opportunity to say how much I hate two lane interstates, haha

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I just read this statement on MSN. "Back on trail, body language may hold a clue".

Look at the seriousness on Obama's face as he is greeting Christie.

Then look at the picture of Romney all smiles and greeting people.

It made an impact on me. Just saying.

www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

You just saw President Obama for the first time in ages. That's why it struck you the way it did. Smiling and charming Candidate Obama will be back tomorrow. He needed to do his JOB today without the typical smirks that's what we expect from a sitting president when disaster strikes.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

If the Red Cross WON'T accept ( I understand why), then the items could surely be used by any other group that seeks to help in the days and weeks to come. During the Katrina aftermath, I traveled with a group from my church to the greater N.O. area. Two Vans of people and a U Haul full of food, water, tents, blankets, clothes and tools...

Then there is always the local food bank... Its all good.... Amazing how the govt gimme gimmes are so anti charity in this thread.... Hilarious...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by HappyBunny

If the Red Cross WON'T accept ( I understand why), then the items could surely be used by any other group that seeks to help in the days and weeks to come. During the Katrina aftermath, I traveled with a group from my church to the greater N.O. area. Two Vans of people and a U Haul full of food, water, tents, blankets, clothes and tools...

Then there is always the local food bank... Its all good.... Amazing how the govt gimme gimmes are so anti charity in this thread.... Hilarious...

Yah, uh huh.... so are you saying his campaign buddies ignored that they could have donated to another source? Because they could have as you know. For the last couple of days, the Red Cross has not minced words about what they need to help out with this disaster even before this not so classy act. For him to pull this stunt only goes to show that his aides were way off on this one, not even paying attention to the needs of the Red Cross.

Is this they guy you want in the White House? That ignores the needs of an organization? If he can't pay attention to what they said they needed, what makes anybody think he will give a donkey's behind about what the entire country needs?

He could have had his booty right down on the lower east side handing out canned goods. Then this might have been believable.....just 'sayin.

By the way, I haven't gotten the impression from anybody in the thread that they like government freebies.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by Annee
I just read this statement on MSN. "Back on trail, body language may hold a clue".

Look at the seriousness on Obama's face as he is greeting Christie.

Then look at the picture of Romney all smiles and greeting people.

It made an impact on me. Just saying.

www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

You just saw President Obama for the first time in ages. That's why it struck you the way it did. Smiling and charming Candidate Obama will be back tomorrow. He needed to do his JOB today without the typical smirks that's what we expect from a sitting president when disaster strikes.

Don't bother trying to twist it.

It is what it is.

Obama looked like a seriously concerned president.

Romney looked like a goofy oaf.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Originally posted by tport17

Obama also met with FEMA today and refused to let any media film him. He was doing his job, and not trying to look good on camera. A week away from the election.

And as far as Romney donating 29% of his income to charities, a large portion of that went straight to his church. From what I have read, he was required to donate a portion of his income per the church's rules.

My opinion:
Romney was already scheduled to do a republican rally at that place.
After Sandy, him and his people decided they better make the rally look like a donation rally. He bought the donations and took pictures of kids giving him those donations. He did this, not because he wanted to help, but because he wanted America to see the pictures and think he was helping. The red cross won't take those food donations. The red cross says the same thing almost every disaster - we don't need food and clothes, we need money and blood.

If Romney actually cared to help, he would have quietly wrote a check to the red cross. He would be at a blood bank donating blood. The fact he made an entire spectacle of the canned food event shows he blatantly did it for the press. Even if his heart really WAS in the right place, he didn't go about it the right way.

Agree. The Red Cross specifically said they need cash, not canned goods, toiletries, or anything like that. Emergency responders don't have time to pack and unpack boxes, decide what needs to be delivered where, etc.

Now, if he'd asked everyone to donate $1, $5, or whatever, that's another story. But he showed that he has no idea how FEMA and ICS operates.

Meh, if he asked for cash you guys would be saying how he was grubbing for money and would probably divert it to his campaign fund as it was not traceable since it was cash and he should have asked for canned goods if he really wanted to help people. Romney can do no good and Obama can do no wrong. We get it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Enjoy your presidential moment with Obama. It just may be his last...

Cheers! Gotta put on my dumb looking Obama costume for tonight's party... Happy Halloween! (if that's politically correct)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Meh, if he asked for cash you guys would be saying how he was grubbing for money and would probably divert it to his campaign fund as it was not traceable since it was cash and he should have asked for canned goods if he really wanted to help people. Romney can do no good and Obama can do no wrong. We get it.

Here is where you are wrong. He could have asked for donations of cash to go to The Red Cross. Why would you think people would make cash donations to him for relief?

In the mean time, the can goods could have been donated to a food bank, or to passer byes right on a street corner.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

LINK

Two large TV screens at the front of the venue bore the logo of the American Red Cross and the message: “Sandy: Support the Relief Effort. Text ’REDCROSS’ to 90999 to make a $10 donation.” So besides the food and supplies that Ohioans generously donated, two large television screens asked participants to send money to the Red Cross.

So I guess as you said, "That's another Story"

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Here is where you are wrong. He could have asked for donations of cash to go to The Red Cross. Why would you think people would make cash donations to him for relief?

In the mean time, the can goods could have been donated to a food bank, or to passer byes right on a street corner.

HE DID ask for donations to the red cross and he donated himself !! He even explained how to do it.... You guys need to read the news once in a while. Buzzfeed and Think Progress will rot your brain.

The campaign removed all campaign-themed signage from the event, instead hanging one large American flag from the ceiling and posting information on donating to the Red Cross on two large TV screens hanging in the arena.

www.nationaljournal.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Thank You!!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

He was seeking cash donations for the red cross...he had two huge TV screens with the information to send cash donations to the Red Cross. The solid goods donated are going to go to local shelters and relief efforts. Looks like they did both gathering hard goods for local distribution as was encouraged and done by many agencies after Katrina AND encouraging people to give cash to the Red Cross.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I have a Question in the OP it stated people had to watch a ten minute video on Romney don’t you think those TV screens were showing that video? Just asking.

When supporters arrived at the rally-turned-relief event, they were treated to the 10-minute video about Romney’s life, which was first unveiled at the RNC.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by NavyDoc

I have a Question in the OP it stated people had to watch a ten minute video on Romney don’t you think those TV screens were showing that video? Just asking.

Yes, and after that people were allowed to see the other information about donating.

By the way, how much did he collect for Katrina victims? How much did he donate then? I've been searching for that information.

I did run across this tidbit of information about how he treated people after this disaster (a previous one)

www.huffingtonpost.com...

WASHINGTON -- In the spring of 2004, Peabody, Mass., got drenched with rain, which flooded the downtown area. After the storm, then-Gov. Mitt Romney asked President George W. Bush to declare Essex, Middlesex and Suffolk Counties federal disaster areas, according to the Boston Globe. That fall, the state legislature proposed spending $5.7 million on a flood prevention project to protect against future floods. Those funds would be matched by $22 million in federal money.

and:

Romney vetoed it. This week, Romney has come under fire for suggesting that the federal government get out of the business of disaster relief. But his record in Massachusetts doesn't lend much support to the suggestion that states can handle it alone.

"This was not unusual for him. He didn’t understand infrastructure improvements. It was just the bottom line. He never visited communities. He never understood the issues. He never sat down with mayors or city managers. He never understood why those things were in the budget," Barrett said. "That money was requested by locals. It was a major league problem.”

You will have to read the rest of the article to understand how this "show" was a complete flip flop for him and how he could have cared less in the past about people being involved with flood issues.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

Yes, and after that people were allowed to see the other information about donating.

By the way, how much did he collect for Katrina victims? How much did he donate then? I've been searching for that information.

I did run across this tidbit of information about how he treated people after this disaster (a previous one)

www.huffingtonpost.com...

WASHINGTON -- In the spring of 2004, Peabody, Mass., got drenched with rain, which flooded the downtown area. After the storm, then-Gov. Mitt Romney asked President George W. Bush to declare Essex, Middlesex and Suffolk Counties federal disaster areas, according to the Boston Globe. That fall, the state legislature proposed spending $5.7 million on a flood prevention project to protect against future floods. Those funds would be matched by $22 million in federal money.

and:

Romney vetoed it. This week, Romney has come under fire for suggesting that the federal government get out of the business of disaster relief. But his record in Massachusetts doesn't lend much support to the suggestion that states can handle it alone.

"This was not unusual for him. He didn’t understand infrastructure improvements. It was just the bottom line. He never visited communities. He never understood the issues. He never sat down with mayors or city managers. He never understood why those things were in the budget," Barrett said. "That money was requested by locals. It was a major league problem.”

You will have to read the rest of the article to understand how this "show" was a complete flip flop for him and how he could have cared less in the past about people being involved with flood issues.

How much did Obama collect for Katrina victims while he was community organizing?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

When supporters arrived at the rally-turned-relief event, they were treated to the 10-minute video about Romney’s life, which was first unveiled at the RNC.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

The quoted article mentioned both. I'd assume that there were a lot of screens showing a lot of things. Obama found time to cart his presidential podium to talk to the red cross. Don't think he's doing a bit of campaigning too?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How much did Obama collect for Katrina victims while he was community organizing?

A good question, since I don't care for either of them, and I have been trying to find that one out, too!

Perhaps we should make a thread about both of them in that regard.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join