It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Brazilian Tribe Threatens Suicide Over Land Eviction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberLegit
Who cares? They are probably just talking bull# anyways. Times have changed.

You're right, times have changed. So when China comes to the USA wanting its debt collateral, you know things like mortgage backed securities (maybe your house, maybe not) -- who would really care?)

Would you care if the government said you have to move because the land you live on is not yours? (and maybe it isn't.)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Like the USA it seems they set up the government in such a way as to not recognize the rights of the indigenous peoples but rather the rights of the people who steal land from them.

It's interesting that the agency that oversees indigenous rights is called Missionary Indian Council. I found this:

As early as 1511, the crown had placed the Indians under its "protection," and it ordered Sousa to treat them well, as long as they were peaceful, so that they could be converted. Conversion was essential because Portugal's legal claims to Brazil were based on papal bulls requiring Christianization of the Indians.
Brazil - Early Colonization

Brazil became independent from Portugal in the 1820s. The idea of a ruler or pope or government's right to give land away regardless of who lived on the land didn't go away.

Q: Explain who the Confederados are and why they immigrated to Brazil.

The best way to think of it today is some of these war-ravaged countries you see on CNN. Essentially that was Virginia in 1865. The cities and economy were wrecked, people were afraid of what Reconstruction might be like, and some had legal problems. Brazil had been actively recruiting Southerners toward the end of the war based primarily on their advanced agricultural knowledge. That country has a massive interior and people who went received land grants from the Brazilian government.

Story of 'Confederados' inspires writer

So even though the tribe living on the land never had contact with European type people, the land had been given away by someone in a city who never laid eyes on it, to someone arriving from another country.

You are correct. Land property laws begin with a completely invented "right" of somebody to grant land to someone else out from under whoever lives there.

edit on 25-10-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Really sad...

I hope they don't act out on it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Your post is very thought provoking. When will the cabal/illuminati/whatever stop pretending that they own the planet. All divisions are man made - the country borders - the state borders the local government borders - all of it.

The planet was given to all of us - to share. Even as a Child I could not for the life of me work out why human beings were so damn divided.

It seems that every indigenous group of humans has simply - 'been in the way' - of the development of modern society. I am sick of seeing the psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists strip indigenous people of their land and heritage and lifestyle.

As for committing suicide - they are in pain and want the pain to stop - that is a common theme of suicide survivors when expressing themselves in therapy. The indigenous people that are the topic of this thread want help. They are obviously prepared to die rather than submit to the selfish and heartless and dollar greedy psychopaths running the planet. I don't want them to suicide but I fully understand their desperation. They are not stupid they know how messed up the planet is and they just want to retain their lifestyle and dignity without which their lives cease to have meaning.

As for the suicideline link posted within this thread - what good is that to these people? These people need their land and their dignity - not a counsellor telling them that everything will be all right. People need to wake up - everything is not all right and life is not worth living when your freedom, your dignity, your culture and your lifestyle can be wiped out in a single act of greed.

Much Peace...to everyone on this messed up planet...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
An idea here... Perhaps they should claim the land as their own country and ask for protection from the UN?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Anyone that wanna help can do so by signing the online petition at avaaz.org

Here is the address for it:

VAMOS IMPEDIR O SUICIDIO COLETIVO DOS ÍNDIOS Guarani-Kaiowá

They need 50.000 signatures.

I already signed, spread the word if you can.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Is this another bullying campaign thingy..... Cause if they would rather kill themself than fight they dont deserve the land... At least the indians put up a fight, a weak one, but they fought...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
An idea here... Perhaps they should claim the land as their own country and ask for protection from the UN?

Yeah, just like the Native Americans Indians did right?

You're not talking about a insignificant country here, you're talking about one of the major players nowadays. The 7th major world economy in 2012. Do you really think ONU would intervene and probably stress it's relations with Brazil to support a handfull of it's own natives? That's beyond ludicrous.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
Is this another bullying campaign thingy..... Cause if they would rather kill themself than fight they dont deserve the land... At least the indians put up a fight, a weak one, but they fought...

And how exactly do you expect them to die? Do you really think that they will all slit their wrists and die to freely deliver their land?

Wake up. The media is distorting everything to a unbelievable extents to make this news. Something that in this case isn't a bad thing. But the original letter from their leader (indian chief) said exactly that, that they would not give up until every single one of them is dead. Suddenly this was transformed into mass suicide thing and the thing got a lot of traction on the media outlets, which is really good and now the indians are using it. I would too.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I've never understand land ownership. Who gave anyone the right to own land in the first place? It's what lead to capitalism and labour exploitation. Land ownership and inclosure laws denied the use of the land to the people, forcing them into towns to be exploited in the mills and factories. A process that has continued ever since. The people (the commoners, none-land owners) during feudal times had more freedom than you do now.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberLegit
Who cares? They are probably just talking bull# anyways. Times have changed.

And soon we will all come to your house and steal all your possessions without paying nor asking permission to enter your yard.

I'm glad that you will be ok with it because...

Who cares? Times,,,They are a changing,

JAK

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Originally posted by ANOK
Who gave anyone the right to own land in the first place?

Cunning use of Flags:

Comedy wins again. :nosmiley:
edit on 26/10/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_

Can you translate this? I tried to with google translate but it says the URL is invalid. I want to know, exactly what is this petition supposed to do?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
First off 70 children are going to be murdered because there parents are deciding for them so the entire tribe does not need to die.

If everyone here has this whole indeginous people are sacred and must retain control of the land thing. Well I say all of you living on native tribal and should just leave now or your a bunch of hopocrates.

Nations, tribe, countries have all invaded anothers land for as long as people have been moving about.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I cannot help but wonder how long their tribe has lived on the land. If they have been living there for centuries, I do not see how the government could not respect their culture and way of life, which involves living on that land for as long as the tribe exists. But then again, look what the US did to the Natives here in America. Selling the land, obtaining resources, and settling the West were much more important to our government and politicians at the time than the sovereign rights of the Native Americans who were here long before white men.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
We think we "own" land. Indigenous tribes know the land owns them. Let them stay, alive, in their sacred place!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
help is just a phone call away

www.suicidehotlines.com...

Great stuff. Well done.
Now all this tribe have to do is pop into a phone booth in the middle of the jungle and call the Samaritans.

I hope the Brazillian tribes all band together and blow poison darts at any and every developer who invades their homes.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_

Just signed also.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This is great, someone could make a reality TV series of them killing themselves. The mines will call it yesterdays news, while the powers that be can keep on destroying the planet.

I do hope prior to returning to their maker that they take all the people causing these terrible conditions with them. Some times it is easier to die than to live I guess, when will fairness outweigh greed?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
First off 70 children are going to be murdered because there parents are deciding for them so the entire tribe does not need to die.

If everyone here has this whole indeginous people are sacred and must retain control of the land thing. Well I say all of you living on native tribal and should just leave now or your a bunch of hopocrates.

Nations, tribe, countries have all invaded anothers land for as long as people have been moving about.

Yes this has been happening throughout man's history, adventurers went out in search of new lands to conquer and colonise.

But this isn't 'another land' for the Brazillian government to conquer, it is the same land, these tribes are Brazillian - these people are THEIR OWN natives. Do these people have no rights at all? Why won't the Brazillian government protect them?

TPTB force us into multiculturism and tell us we must respect each other's culture and beliefs, must live and let live, control us and drive us crazy with political correctness every day of our lives. But when it comes to money and profit, all the political correctness and respect and concern for different culture is thrown under the bus.

Yes, you're correct about the 'hypocrite' remark.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join