It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twelve-year-old Bryan Co. girl shoots home intruder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

This story had a happy ending, but the stories where a father shoots his own son, or a sister shoots her brother are all too common. Gun Safety 101 is: "Identify Your Target!"

Sorry friend but that is media propaganda they are not common at all and in fact they are extremely rare.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

A 12 year old is not a "kid left at home." There are 12 year olds working on farms and running family businesses right here in the US! I was one of those. There are 12 year olds getting married in other countries. There are 12 year old mothers and 24 year old Grandmothers right here in my town.

A 12 year old is plenty safe enough to leave at home alone, and apparently this one was plenty responsible enough to take care of things all on her own.

I think I started staying home alone from time to time when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and by the time I was 12, I was driving my Mom's car up to the store, working in my Dad's truck stops, and making pretty good side money selling candy out of my backpack in Jr High School, LOL! By the time I was 15, I already had scholarship offers to college.

Part of the societal problem in the US is the coddling of our youth, and the low set of expectations. A 12 year old should be able to handle just about everything an adult can handle, at least for a short time, and at least if there is a capable adult a phone call, or a minute or two away. We have to let them grow up and learn responsiblity, and we also have to be there as a resource and able to step in at a moments notice to bail them out of a situation if it arises.

Come to think of it, this girl's parents are HEROES TOO!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

I think I started staying home alone from time to time when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and by the time I was 12, I was driving my Mom's car up to the store, working in my Dad's truck stops, and making pretty good side money selling candy out of my backpack in Jr High School, LOL! By the time I was 15, I already had scholarship offers to college.

And so, you are what, about 100 now? Times have changed or you grew up in the in Smallville.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

This story had a happy ending, but the stories where a father shoots his own son, or a sister shoots her brother are all too common. Gun Safety 101 is: "Identify Your Target!"

Sorry friend but that is media propaganda they are not common at all and in fact they are extremely rare.

I disagree. They are rare, but they do happen.

My own father came very close to shooting my little brother, but luckily my family was very adament about gun safety.... such as identifying your target! If my father had shot blindly into the dark where an "intruder" was rummaging through stuff after midnight, then my brother would have been dead, but instead, my Dad got the drop on him, hit the lights, and called out to him all at the same time, to which my startled brother screamed, "Its me Dad!"

Often times a teenage or young-adult will move out, but still have a key, and they don't want to disturb their parents, so they sneak in and out during the night. (Parents and Teenagers usually keep entirely different hours.)

A house with guns, should be a house with stellar gun safety.
edit on 19-10-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

And so, you are what, about 100 now? Times have changed or you grew up in the in Smallville.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

I'm only 40. In rural areas, kids drive farm trucks and other equipment at very young ages. In small towns, kids drive the family car up to the store once in a while, or at least to the car wash to detail it for Mom. In small businesses, kids often man the operation while the parents do something else. And, I'm a regular white kid, in the minority and immigrant communities it is even more common! I've paid an 8 year old manning a cash register many times.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nice shoot'n Tex!

Don't mess with those Okie girls...Actually Texas, Oklahoma, pretty much any fly over state. Isn't that right Los Angeles. Los Angeles is perfectly safe for home invaders.

Probably in her young mind she thought shooting through the door would scare him off.

I would have waited for a clear shot, but that almost certainly would have killed the intruder.

I say she did pretty well considering the circumstances and would like to point out to all who would come into a house uninvited, we are waiting, most of us are well armed and waiting for you. So stay out.

edit on 19-10-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
she should get "banned" for being able to see through walls, darn hackers

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

to be fair I live in Los Angeles and am pretty well armed. A person would have to be crazy to break into my place. So not all us californians are waiting to be victims of home invasion. Just wish the majority of californians were educated about guns and would stop going around demonizing them.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by popcornmafia

yep yep yep, couldnt have said it better myself, she is twelve, not two! smart kids finally, god love um, hope they stay, endure and prosper. annie get yer gun!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alphacenturi

This is bad, now have stuck in my head Annie singing

tomorrow, tomorrow, Ill get my gun tomorrow...

No wait, also thinking of Los Angeles so now voice changes to Bill Handle who loves show tunes...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

oops! thanks! can you tell it's BBQ Halloween season?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Guy1 So that's my story. How did you get busted buddy?

Guy2 I was shot by a 12 year old girl.

Guy1 Oh yeah, you gonna be somebodies bitch for sure!

Bravo to the girl and her family for teaching how to defend herself With A Gun.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Could have been her mother...

She's lucky but good for her. I probably wouldn't have shot in fear that it was.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I disagree. They are rare, but they do happen

So you disagree then agree they are rare WTF? In your original post you said they happen often and I pointed out they do not happen often they are rare... Read more carefully...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I could not say it better, you beat me to the ignorance.

Justified! Thanks, S
edit on 19-10-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Add

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Awesome, this guy won a free trip to the hospital and soon prison if he survives, and if he does, then he gets some street cred he can brag about.

Oh yeahz? I been shot fool!.... it was a 12yr old girl, but still GANGSTA GANGSTA

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

reply to post by 00nunya00

But, it could have been the refrigerator repair man that her Mom forgot was coming over,

And if he was rummaging in a closed closet, he *should* have been shot.

or the landlord that thought the house was empty,

If the landlord got past the intruder trying to violate her safety and didn't notice the back door laying off its hinges and all their # rummaged through, then yeah, that'd be sad.

or even a police officer serving a warrant at the wrong address.

And when he kicked down the door, he would have announced himself and run into the intruder, or at least forewarned her he was not a rapist.

It could have been an adult cousin playing a prank on her.

And if he chose that exact moment to play a prank on a girl cowering in fear of her life, then I'd say that's the hand of God.

Shooting blindly through a closed door can end badly in so, so many ways.

Sure----when it doesn't start with an intruder kicking in your door and you being on the phone with 911.

Look, I smell what you're cooking, and in most instances, I agree. But this is so, so far beyond the normal "be extra careful" circumstance of the other 99.9% of gun altercations. This girl did *exactly* what she should have to defend herself, period, full stop.

She could have waited for the door to swing open and then shot.

And as another poster so deftly stated, it would have given him just the time he needed to kill her first.
edit on 19-10-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
great story. she did the right thing. and maybe at the right time. if the intruder would have made his way into her room, then her life could have been at steak. good on her! i hope she is able to live beyond the trauma and see a brighter side to this.
thx for sharing.

Yeah, good thing she didn't kill him so he can get out of jail and do it again.

Actually, I was thinking that if she HAD waited til he opened the door, maybe she would have had better shot placement and they could have saved a tank of Jet A.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Enter my house with ill intent and no law of the land is gonna save you from injury at the least. Threaten my family and you die.

All around the world people are being charged with shooting burglars etc when the easiest way not to get shot if you are a burglar is just don't enter properties that aren't yours. Don't take things that don't belong to you and don't break the law.

Simple really.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Good girl! Intruders will be used for combat training.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join