It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koch Brothers threatening layoffs if Obama Re-Elected

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
Yes, I think it's interesting that GE CEO Immelt is an Obama crony, and heads his Central Committee on Jobs and Competitiveness and Non-Viable Policy Initiatives, (something like that) and that GE has benefitted from what the article you referenced as "aggressive lobbying " for all sorts of tax breaks, particularly in the last 5 years. Tax hikes on businesses always hurt you and me, not them.

Is GE threatening employees if Obama is elected?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
reply to post by Oaktree

Both sides of any argument should be heard. But "vote for my candidate or you're fired" is beyond ridiculous

just because companies don't come right out and say it in public, does not make this ridiculous....it's the way they feel.
companies do everything they can to lower employee costs, if they could get slave labor they would not hesitate to do it.
and regular people still want to vote for romney? his expertise is buying and selling companies...now that's ridiculous

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I see no threats within the Koch Bros. release. I see a business trying to warn their employees of the direct result of the continuation of the current governmental policies. Why else would the government tell Defense Contractors that they did not need to abide by the WARN Act requirements? To the point of even promising to take care of their legal representation for ignoring the law? Maybe because they know exactly what is going to happen?

I try to see the arguments on both sides of the issue before I decide which side I agree with. Having had 4 years of the current administration, I'm wanting to change directions. I would rather have a job and be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, than be unemployed and living on the streets. Been there done that.

I especially LOVE the statements of "Enjoy your corporate enslavement". I am being compensated for my time and labor. I am not being forced to work for a company for nothing. I am not shackled to a desk and whipped for whatever reason happens to cross the overseer's mind. When I work for a company I have AGREED that the compensation I receive is a fair trade for my labor. If I no longer think that compensation is fair, I move on, or I can improve myself to gain more compensation. Can I be fired? Yup, although if my termination is wrongful, I have legal remedies available.

It seems that some people have a hard time understanding exactly where the money that pays for their social programs comes from. It doesn't come from 'Crackhead' Carl, it comes from the wealthy, it comes from the corporations that actually pay taxes. Where are you going to get your food or clothing if the corporations have no money for investment and expansion? Where are your social programs going to be when the corporations and small business' go belly up due to exorbitant taxes and strangling regulations? I know where we are all going to be. Homeless, living under a bridge or in a tent, struggling to find food to feed our families. THAT is not a vague threat, that is the reality of the financial system. For all of you who decry the 'corporate greed' just remember, without them, you and you alone will have to find a way to provide these things for yourselves. How many now how to hunt, make clothes from animal skins, make your own thread and cloth, grow your own food? Want to find out what its like? Take a month, since you don't want to be a 'corporate slave' quitting your job should be easy, load up a go bag and hit the woods. No using social programs, learn to survive without these things. Most will be back, begging for their jobs within a week or two with a whole new appreciation for the opportunity to be able to spend time with their family and having a little extra money to spend on smokes or booze.

As far as those who threaten riots and violence, I would suggest not bringing that kind of crap to my neighborhood. I have the means and the will to protect me and mine.

A little less fantasy and the use of a rational thought process would help quite a few people in this world. Quite honestly, you are not 'entitled' to a F'ing thing. If you don't like the way your life is going, take some freaking personal responsibilty and improve yourself. Quit trying to pick someone else's pocket to avoid effort on your part. Harsh words, I'll admit, but someone needs to tell the kids to grow the h*ll up.

peace

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by PvtHudson
Yes, I think it's interesting that GE CEO Immelt is an Obama crony, and heads his Central Committee on Jobs and Competitiveness and Non-Viable Policy Initiatives, (something like that) and that GE has benefitted from what the article you referenced as "aggressive lobbying " for all sorts of tax breaks, particularly in the last 5 years. Tax hikes on businesses always hurt you and me, not them.

Is GE threatening employees if Obama is elected?

ever heard of "the business roundtable"?....it's a little heard of group of CEOs that meets directly with the president in a closed and private setting. who do you think has the power in that meeting?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

It's a bullying tactic,companies now feel they own us so much that they can tell us what we can and can't do in our own time.Last election my company let anyone off an hour early that was going to vote.I didn't ask to be let go,so my boss came up to me and asked me if I was going to vote. I said no, they asked why? I said I always look at voting like the lesser of 2 evils(not that it was any of they're business to begin with). They got mad and disgusted with me and wouldn't talk to me after that for a while.This is the world in which we live now, The companies own the people much like they own they're equipment,they own the country our rights,our freedom.Everything we hold dear.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by muse7
Didn't take long for the Republican cheerleaders to come in here and defend their Corporate Overlords.

They know Obama will not let workers be abused and taken advantage of, so that's why they are using bully tactics to get more people to vote for Romney.

Yep...My Masters!

I never worked for a poor man...ever.

Glad you admitted that you are willing to whore yourself out for your lords.

Many people still have dignity, and won't let Corporate bullies push them into voting for a candidate, that could not care less about the average worker, but is all for Corporate Feudalism.

You missed my sarcasm.

I have tried my hand at running my own business, and it was a love hate relationship. I sold my half to my partner after three years.

Nowadays, I choose my employer, just as they choose me. The company I currently work for is non-union, pays a decent livable wage (and I'm part-time), a matching 401 and includes their part-timers in the profit sharing. I think I have it pretty good.

And they don’t tell me who to vote for either.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RichardA

you mean corporations like EXXON, who actually paid 0 in federal income taxes and recieved a tax rebate of 30 million on 40 billion in profits? and who do you think had a say in writing those tax laws...
so your contention would be....that taxpayers SHOULD be giving EXXON rebates because of all the people they hire, and we all should be grateful that EXXON employs us just so we have jobs
so why do we even need a government, let's just have CEO's run this country.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Think about it. It's the Gov't that allows those loopholes to exist in the first place.

I'll be truthful, if there was a way I could legally keep more money in my pocket, I would do such as well. Thereby screwing over others who depend upon those taxes.

Corporations are run for a profit and they can afford that team of lawyers which they use to their advantage. Most of us can't afford a team of lawyers.

If I had my way, I'd ban anyone with a law degree from running for office.
THAT would level the playing field in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Like GE who pay 0 taxes, ship jobs overseas, and personally have the Presidents ear? I have more of a problem with that than I do with Exxon. Besides like someone else said, politicians allow these loopholes and subsidies. Close the loopholes for GE and I'm willing to discuss Exxon's subsidies. You can't point out one industries 'faults' while ignoring another companies blatant political influence.

However, Exxon is big oil and for some reason, that seems to matter more than anything else to some. I'm going to have to assume you don't drive a car, use any type of plastic, or any of the other thousands of products that are made with petroleum. If you do, I'm going to have to call hypocrite.

Time for some sleep before work.

peace

edit on 15-10-2012 by RichardA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why are people surprised at this fact? The CEO’s and business owners have been stating this for the past 4 years, since Obama has come into office that his domestic policies are going to affect the way that they do business. When Obamacare was first passed, 10 of the biggest companies all announced losses in the billions, that caused congress to start to hold congressional hearings on the subject and subpoena the 10 CEO’s and have then bring in their records to explain themselves. When the congressmen who started the hearings and issued the subpoena’s was informed of the laws, they hushed it up and it went away, but no one actually thought that this was the end of it, or rather they hoped it was the end of it. The reality is that the policies of Obama is not good for business, it may be good for people but not for businesses at all. And they are informing their employees that as the CEO’s of these companies, they also have choices. If they choose not to be in business, they can choose to close it down and thus let everyone who works for them go.
And some of the reasons are valid, partially as they can not afford the cost of doing business any more, in the US with the different taxes that they have to pay. A CEO actually stated what all he has to pay just to keep his company going, and he has had enough of it. Just cause a business person is in a position where they can do something, as long as it is legal, does not restrict them from doing any action. And if they choose to shut down and close the doors to their business, and withdraw from the public sector, then so be it. Who ultimately does it hurt, them or the general public, and what would be the fall out from this?
Business is not there to be charitable, it is there to make money, it is what drives most of the CEO’s in all sectors to continue to do what they can to increase their holdings and stakes, to continue to try to figure out new ways to do well. And if the business is a publicly traded company, they can not just shut down, as the stock holders would have a say in such. This is just a matter of expressing an opinion. While the timing is bad, it is still permissible in the US, and that they have the right to state such.
Would you have them just fire everybody and close the doors and not say anything, at least they are giving their employees fair warning now, to prepare for what may happen.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by IrVulture

Obama is as guilty of cronyism as is Romney and the rest. Regardless of the election results, the way I see it is a choice between a death by a thousand cuts or a quick stab to the heart.

edit on 14-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

That sir, is the finest most concise comparison of the two I have ever seen. I applaud you and hope you don't mind if I use your analysis with my friends.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Use away.

Remember to quote me..."TDawgRex" being "That Guy" since 1962.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The Koch brothers are the nail on the coffin of democracy

If their opinion agrees with your vote, you should seriously reconsider your vote...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If they can afford to lay people off, then they will, doesn't matter who the potus is. a corporation is outside of any elected official.

This is simply Koch being Koch. They are upset that they are having a slightly more difficult time than normal buying america.
But no, their investors won't let the brothers trash their investment. Its just bluster.

The oil barons are doing just fine in the economy...cry me a river of oil there, Koch.

This should serve as an example as to why there needs to be a complete severing of corporations and government. They are now outwardly (if true) suggesting they will attempt to harm the country if they don't get their way. This is economic terrorism.

So, this november, lets do the right thing...America does not negotiate with terrorists

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I read the full letter and thought "I agree... Gary Johnson 2012".

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

If their opinion agrees with your vote, you should seriously reconsider your vote...

People can say the same about Soros and the K Street crowd.

The majority of people don't want to fix things. Not if it affects them. Once that hurdle is cleared, maybe, just maybe there will be hope.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

People can say the same about Soros and the K Street crowd.

The majority of people don't want to fix things. Not if it affects them. Once that hurdle is cleared, maybe, just maybe there will be hope.

I hope you understand the difference between rich people like Soros donating money and rich people:

1) Threatening to lay of people based on how they vote.
2) Trying to disenfranchise entire groups of people...stealing their right to vote in the process.
3) Pretending corporations are now suddenly people.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Think about it. It's the Gov't that allows those loopholes to exist in the first place.

I'll be truthful, if there was a way I could legally keep more money in my pocket, I would do such as well. Thereby screwing over others who depend upon those taxes.

Corporations are run for a profit and they can afford that team of lawyers which they use to their advantage. Most of us can't afford a team of lawyers.

not me....when you are working in a job that is all about laws...i want that person to have a law degree, just as a doctor has to have a medical degree. as for tax loopholes, the best way to correct and and protect integrity of tax laws, is to severly restrict lobbying. also, the money used for elections, can only be given by individuals, and at a LOW preset amount, no exceptions. you have to limit the influence of money as much as possible.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Look into Soros and the people he "Donates" to. And his business ties while your at it.

He's no better. Just a different agenda.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by jimmyx

not me....when you are working in a job that is all about laws...i want that person to have a law degree, just as a doctor has to have a medical degree. as for tax loopholes, the best way to correct and and protect integrity of tax laws, is to severly restrict lobbying. also, the money used for elections, can only be given by individuals, and at a LOW preset amount, no exceptions. you have to limit the influence of money as much as possible.

Ok, I'll buy that argument. It makes common sense.

But since when has common sense and government been mentioned in the same sentence?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join