It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buried Egyptian Ruins near Siwa, Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Scrolling thru Egypt on Google Maps, I found this lovely little oasis about 10-15 km south-southwest of Siwa, Egypt, that looks as tho it may be of an ancient buried city.
So, my curiousity piqued, and I tried finding some information on it, and about best I could come up with is a few stories about the possibility of Alexander the Great's tomb being located somewhere in buried ruins near Siwa.

So, my question, ATS'ers, what is your take on this little oasis? Anyone got any ideas, or perhaps information on it?
edit on 11-10-2012 by cheddartoes because: Bad picture link.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Very interesting!

But seems Mars.

S&F.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Lol. No, not Mars. Though after searching the desert satellite images for a few hours, I felt like I was searching the Mars landscape.
Trust me, I would have been wayyy more excited had I found buried ruins in an oasis on Mars.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cheddartoes

So - what, about this "site", suggests (to you) something ancient/buried?
Asking because there are "obvious" explanations for many of the lines, squares, etc...that could be more recent.
You say you've researched it (the area)... Were you "looking" for the burial place of Alexander the Great?
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I like the quotations, they're cute.

I think this "site" may be ancient, due to the rich ancient history of Egypt, as for why I think it is buried, Id have to say the half buried, 3/4ths of a building on the far right side of the picture.
Im very aware that they are lines and right angles in nature.
Id have to say after 6 hours of searching the Egyptian desert mile by mile via Google Maps, Ive come across a few natural lines and right angles, however, this particular grid "anomaly" doesnt really match up with all the lines and angles Ive come across searching the rest of the desert.
Infact, Id have to say the only thing I saw similar to this is the well known ruins near Giza.

And I never said I researched the area, or was looking for Alexander the Great.
I simply said I tried to find information on this particular location, and the only thing I came across on Google when I searched "Buried ruins near Siwa, Egypt", I came across an article of an archeaologist who claims to have found the tomb of Alexander the Great near Siwa, Egypt.
I was just stating the only information I could find ANY ruins near Siwa.

Now, perhaps instead of trying to insult my intelligence, you can see if you can find anything on what we may happen to be looking at.
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Sweet! S&F

The rectanglar areas definatly suggest civilization...

Are you sure this isn't just some sand dwelling community in the desert?

You've seen star wars right?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheddartoes
reply to post by WanDash

I like the quotations, they're cute.

I think this "site" may be ancient, due to the rich ancient history of Egypt, as for why I think it is buried, Id have to say the half buried, 3/4ths of a building on the far right side of the picture.
Im very aware that they are lines and right angles in nature.
Id have to say after 6 hours of searching the Egyptian desert mile by mile via Google Maps, Ive come across a few natural lines and right angles, however, this particular grid "anomaly" doesnt really match up with all the lines and angles Ive come across searching the rest of the desert.
Infact, Id have to say the only thing I saw similar to this is the well known ruins near Giza.

And I never said I researched the area, or was looking for Alexander the Great.
I simply said I tried to find information on this particular location, and the only thing I came across on Google when I searched "Buried ruins near Siwa, Egypt", I came across an article of an archeaologist who claims to have found the tomb of Alexander the Great near Siwa, Egypt.
I was just stating the only information I could find ANY ruins near Siwa.

Now, perhaps instead of trying to insult my intelligence, you can see if you can find anything on what we may happen to be looking at.
Thanks.

I can understand how you might assume my comments to have been intended as insults... The assumption, however, was incorrect.
I have spent countless hours, as well, scouring inch by inch through/across various landscapes in Google Earth and found "suspicious sites" as well. Most such searches began with some measure of intrigue...some did not.
I have, likewise, set out on (and/or designed) "treasure hunts", and was wondering if (other than your answer of a general interest in Egyptian antiquity) something had inspired a particular interest in Siwa --- Nothing more.

To expound on my earlier question/s, though -- Knowing that the general landscape is so "fluid" (*), and can change dramatically within short spans of time...and presuming that you have accounted for the same - have you mapped the ground elevations across the "plot" to identify possible anomalies?

Thanks for the response.
Good luck in your search/es.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Sure looks like a buried ancient village in a isolated oasis in Egypt. Could very well be of interest to scientist and historians. Good find. Any idea of the rough size of that oasis? For some reason I think it could've been a ancient palace/ compound for a rich Egyptian at some point. Would be pretty curious to find out what they think it is.
edit on 11-10-2012 by BASSPLYR because: Man am I really beginning to hate my iPhone and it's stupid autocorrect

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hi !
I could be wrong,but I'm just putting it out there,but what we are looking at is most probably small scale irrigation/agriculture on a domestic level around the oasis.Plenty good water for sustenance crops for your family !

On a closer second look,you can actually see the process of desertification happening to the left of the oasis,those rectangles in the sand with squares in them are most likely tilled areas that have been abandoned to the desert.

edit on 11-10-2012 by Cygnus_Hunter because: google eyed.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Cygnus_Hunter because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
oh my dayz...the siwa oasis..
ok okokokkokokkoko......im excited....

ever heard about the legendary oracle!....the oracle of egypt was located in siwa....throughout the ages pharaohs consulted with the oasis....

the significant time you can see it in history is... like the guy said above...alexander the great...but dont get me started on him lol

the persians....cambyses...and his son (cant remeber name just yet)...when invading egypt....tried to find the oracle....they sent an army that vanished ....

the oracle...was protected by the nedjay and the libyans.....at that time...when the vallley provinces where at war with persia

BTW - FYI...that image you have above is from the agriculture ministers water distribution BS plans...i hated him...he was the minster for land reclamation and agricultre and stopped nubians having their land...but thats histiry now

peace
edit on 11-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It may be a sand dwelling community, however, there's a fairly large modern city with old ruins about 10-15 km north of this particular location. Suburb maybe. Haha.

reply to post by WanDash

Nothing of intrique, really. Just get a wild hair up my ass every now and again to scan thru countries with known ruins. Perhaps I watched far to much Indiana Jones as a child, but Ive always had a fascination with ancient ruins/cultures/etc.

As for land elevation data, I havent gotten all that far into it. Mostly just a curiousity I found, wanted to know more about it. All I really know is that whole general area is that its below sea level.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Well - of course - this is an area of interest for me, as well. I wouldn't give up... May find one of those buried boats...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Its not big, I know that much. Had the camera zoomed almost all the way in when I came across it. When I zoomed out to get an idea of the general area of the land, see the closest major city, I almost lost this little oasis in the clutter of what appears to be smudges on my computer screen.
I know someones been in there recently (within the last few years) , there are tire tracks in the sand near here.

reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

This sounds likely, as the Siwa Oasis to the north has similar style plots.

reply to post by thePharaoh

I have not heard of the Oracle, but Ill be sure to check out the story of it.
But, the Siwa Oasis does look like a beautiful place.
Id have to say that yourself and Cygnus may be right.
The more I look thru Siwa, I see the resemblence to the other farming plots.
Just makes me wonder why the hell someone would wanna travel the 10-15 kms, past 2 other small oasis's by like 5 kms, to farm.

new topics

top topics

join