It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car leaking oil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
2 weeks ago my car died, I took it to fire stone and they replaced the fuel pump, they all so recommended changing the fuel filter I have not done that yet but I am going to. Today my car started smoking from oil leaking on to hot parts, hear is a picture of the leak.

My oil light is not on. Does it look bad? Is it just the because the fuel filter?
For now can I poor more oil in it until i can get it fixed?

The car is a daewoo lanos 2001
edit on 8-10-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I think it's only the valve cover gasket that's leaking . Check it regularly ( every time you drive it) till it gets fixed . Hard to tell what kind of car but it looks like a sideways 4 cyl. So it's not that big of a job

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Can't really tell too well from the photo, but if that's the pan that the oil leaking onto, then the seal is worn out. That's an easy job as well.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004

I think it's only the valve cover gasket that's leaking . Check it regularly ( every time you drive it) till it gets fixed . Hard to tell what kind of car but it looks like a sideways 4 cyl. So it's not that big of a job

That’s what it looks like to me also, if the oil leaking bad enough to smoke...personally I would not drive it, (Safety Hazard), get it fixed asap... it truly not that hard to repace a valve cover gasket, oh! check you pvc valve also. PVC Operation

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I concur with others above. Looks like it's leaking from the gasket area as well. Fairly inexpensive job, considering the cost of an engine if it doesn't get fixed and you don't keep oil in the car. I'd get it fixed as soon as you are able.

edit on 8-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004

Agreed, not a hard job if you do it yourself. In the interim you're going to have to keep the oil topped off.

If you DO do it yourself, research how the correct order to re-fasten the bolts, and make sure they are properly torqued so you don't cause more serious damage. If you tighten improperly the gasket will not create a good seal.

Did you have any other work done on your car other than the fuel pump?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hear are some better pictures

Does it still look like the valve cover gasket? I want to be sure before i tear my car apart.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yes, it still looks like the valve cover gasket.

There are four bolts on the plastic cover. Remove them, it's aesthetic. Underneath you will see your spark plug wires running out of the plugs. The gasket cover is most likely a hard plastic. You will see it bolted down to the motor, and in between there will be a gasket sandwiched in.

To be absolutely sure it's the gasket, clean the oil that has leaked with a rag and check it again after every drive to see where the leak originates. I'm positive it's the gasket though, unless the valve cover is cracked or soemthing. As I said, that plastic cover is purely aesthetic, and easy to remove. You can't know for sure without spending 5 minutes removing it. =]

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
the problem with leaking oil is that you have to take half of the engine apart!!
been there dude....look change the filter, make sure its attached "snugly"....it shouldnt take long. if it carries on leaking take it in,,,no choice trust me....but in your case, its pretty simple you can see where its leaking clearly.

just guessing here...its blocked, change the part...lol

peace

to add...what you want to rule out..is if its cracked!!
edit on 8-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

While you have the cover off inspect the ignition wires for cracks and someone above mentioned the pcv valve , it's under the manifold on the rear of the motor .

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

There are four bolts on the plastic cover. Remove them, it's aesthetic. Underneath you will see your spark plug wires running out of the plugs. The gasket cover is most likely a hard plastic. You will see it bolted down to the motor, and in between there will be a gasket sandwiched in.

To be absolutely sure it's the gasket, clean the oil that has leaked with a rag and check it again after every drive to see where the leak originates. I'm positive it's the gasket though, unless the valve cover is cracked or something. As I said, that plastic cover is purely aesthetic, and easy to remove. You can't know for sure without spending 5 minutes removing it. =]

I found a video online it looks simple

I will take the cover off tomorrow and post the pictures just to be sure.

This is a huge relief. I just spent 500 dollars fixing it, 500 DOLLARS FOR A FREAKING FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT, ITS MADNESS!!! You can get one for this car for $100. I am never taking my car to firestone again.
edit on 8-10-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

To be absolutely sure it's the gasket, clean the oil that has leaked with a rag and check it again after every drive to see where the leak originates. I'm positive it's the gasket though, unless the valve cover is cracked or soemthing. As I said, that plastic cover is purely aesthetic, and easy to remove. You can't know for sure without spending 5 minutes removing it. =]

Again, looks like valve cover gasket, gasket runs about $20.00... this sould be the right one if a 2001

easy to replace

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Just so you know I had to replace my fuel pump twice... the fuel pump alone was $400.00, I did the job myself, not an easy task considering I had to remove the 26 gal tank. I'll spend the extra $100 for labor next time...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It definitely looks like the Tappet/Rocker/Valve cover gasket but you won't know until you take off the cowling and have a look.

It may just be one of the spark plug boots has come off and is allowing oil to contaminate the area under the cowling.

If it is the gasket, from memory, I think the Lanos has a paper gasket that retails for about $20. It is an easy fix and should take about 15mins to remove and clean and about 5mins to reassemble.

NOTE. If cash is tight....remove the plastic cowling and check that the rocker cover fasteners are all there and tensioned appropriately. If one or more is loose, then you may be able to slow the leak significantly with a simple re-tension. ALSO note that once the gasket starts to leak, it will always weep a small amount of oil, no matter what you do.

I would be more concerned with the top/upper radiator hose as it looks like it is ready to blow.

I would recommend that you change it ASAP as it is a PITA to deal with roadside and is a pretty simple fix from home. Again, it is only about $20 for the hose and another $10 - $20 odd for rust-inhibitor/anti-freeze/coolant.

Good luck
edit on 8/10/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Is it ok to leave the plastic gasket cover off, just for a little bit. I should mention my hood is a little bent so their is a space for debree to get under the hood.

I took it off and cleaned all the oil off, took it for a drive. I am not sure but I do not think its leaking. I think the oil that was burning and dripping was from when my car fuel pump broke and I THINK it sprayed oil all over my engine. Their is quit allot of it caked up.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The cowling will protect the HT(spark plug) leads from dust/grime as well as protecting the entire upper engine from thermal shock(its amazing what a small amount of snow/ice/water will do to a hot engine)...I would put it back.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Am not too sure what engine/trans configuration the Lanos has but judging from the photos it's a typical 4cyl / 16 valve transverse engine setup.

Assuming that's the case then the oil isnt leaking onto a 'pan' or sump but onto the exhaust manifold heat shield which explains why it's smoking and probably stinking a wee bit too.lol.

It,basically,isnt serious or a sign of your engines inpending doom but obviously needs rectifying the sooner the better.

First of all clean the oil off and keep an eye on it to gauge the level of the leak.

It will be coming from the rocker cover/valve cover theres little doubt of that and easily replaced - either a black rubber gasket or possibly cork.

Replacing is fairly simple but a preparitory sealant can be used to aid sealing.

Do it cold and make sure all surfaces are clean,dry and free of any contaminants.

Make sure you unbolt and retighten the bolts in sequance and to the right torque settings.

Good Luck !!!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I drove my car without oil once. It was a really bad idea.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Whatever you do, stay away from Firestone. I have had many run ins with them over the years. They had once quoted me $1800 to do a CV joint replacement on my car. I got a 2nd opinion from a certified mechanic and they said it was not CV joint related but rather a U-joint problem. Total cost to fix $400.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think the problem is that it's a Daewoo....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join