It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is this strange insect I just found? [PICS]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Woah, woah, woah! Termites get that BIG? I thought termites were tiny...like sugar ants?

:swoon:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Hey, man I saw the strangest bug the other day. It looked like a bee mixed with a horsefly, with the body of an ant. It was an orange putrid color.
I was terrified of it. It flew around very clumsy and instead of crawling it slid on the floor. I was at a business and the other patrons who saw it was like "wtf is that!" It was so disgusting that a lady killed it. Lots of weird insect being witnessed by people all over.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Should be easy to tell if its an insect or a crustacean I mean give the claw a lil squeeze, I figure if it crushes its insectoid.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I mean what does the meat look like, that should be an answer to your questions whether if its insect or not.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

looks like the front part of a crayfish(or" craw dad", "fresh water lobster").. is that a claw or a "mandible"?(pinchers)?
could be a bird caught one in a pond and dropped him half eaten over your yard.. the tails are tasty!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
im fairly sure the "head", or the eyes/front area, is not the pincher end that most of you are seeming to think.
i think the pincher is the tail, just based on the direction that the legs are pointing. it would seem unnatural for an insect to walk that way if the pincher was the front.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Maybe what's left of a fiddler's crab?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

My guess is it's probably a type of hermet crab plucked or dislodged from its shell,birds drop mollusks and Crustacean's often to crack the shell to get at the meat,probably how it got there.
edit on 25-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky

Hey, man I saw the strangest bug the other day. It looked like a bee mixed with a horsefly, with the body of an ant. It was an orange putrid color.
I was terrified of it. It flew around very clumsy and instead of crawling it slid on the floor. I was at a business and the other patrons who saw it was like "wtf is that!" It was so disgusting that a lady killed it. Lots of weird insect being witnessed by people all over.

haha
That bee hybrid sounds funny as hell!

I have had a fisherman view the insect/crustacean and he has said that it looks like nothing found locally in the area.

Maybe we are under attack!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

funny, my 5 yr old was asking about raccoons & squirals in our garden, I think he's watching to much sesame street from USA lol.

On topic defiantly looks like small headless cray, was it alive when you found it?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Maybe you right. But I live 5-6 k's inland? Would a bird carry it over such a large distance?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by feelingconnected
reply to post by Asktheanimals

funny, my 5 yr old was asking about raccoons & squirals in our garden, I think he's watching to much sesame street from USA lol.

On topic defiantly looks like small headless cray, was it alive when you found it?

You think so? With that second set of pincers it would have to be from the cray/crustacean family?

Nah it was pretty dead when I found it. First impression was that it was insect.... to the untrained eye

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I've heard of birds taking baby sheep
, so I guess it would be possible .

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think this will explain everything....

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
not near monsanto GM corn field are you?

I hope this is not the start of a 60's cheesy horror movie...attack of the giant ants..

haha no GM farms near my house. Actually there are no farm's near my house. I'm surrounded by a large reserve that is basically untouched. Tassie is usually pretty good for GM stuff I think. Could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

That made my morning!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

G,day mate. my first guess would have been a white ant with a suntan, but your down in tassie. second guess would have been part of a yabbie, (handicapped maron). but i think it is a baby toggle. i still have my old army issue toggle rope. you want to borrow it. tie the bugger down. hahaha

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a small crab with a torn limb..?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
My best guess is that it's a giant termite or something close to it
en.wikipedia.org...
secure.flickr.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think badly mangled crayfish

top topics