It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

150 Stars for 2 Lines in a Post..Are You Freaking Kidding Me?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I agree, at least your post wasn't sarcastic or mean, it's worst when those comments get tons of stars.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by jude11

Read the first thread and now looking forward to this!

Great stuff OP...Keep it up.

Peace

Brevity is the soul of wit ...

Schuyler deserves his 150 stars

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I have just been PM'ed by a respected member of the community whom has bought to my attention this thread and the contents thereof.

Firstly, I am very grateful to Jude for his simple acknowledgement and thumbs-up towards my X-Files dissertation and my response to him a few posts later should be noted here:-

reply to post by jude11

I am genuinely honored by that comment.

Thank-you for your interest....I have plenty more than just tomorrow conclusion and will continue to post accordingly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Casandra
Maybe your post got stars because you can only give one star and flag to the OP. And as a way of showing more support they starred your post, which was complementing the thread, too.

Never thought of it as supporting the OP.

Thanks for the new insight.

Peace

The above quoted reply comment from Jude regarding Cassandra's insight TOTALLY sums it up for me. I feel very satisfied in the wonderful and positive comments I have received from many long standing and respected ATS members - like smyleegrl's one on page one of this thread. Stuff like that is priceless. I also received something that I value more than a million stars - an applause from Springer - that dropped me, to say the very least - acknowledgement from the top that my contribution to this site has not gone un-noticed.

For me ATS is about the great unknown - the x-files - the things that make me the OCD paranoid conspiracy nutter that I am today - I'm sure the Mods and owners are well aware of the constant whining about the politics etc overwhelming the site so I decided to do something about it - thats what ATS is about - the owners and Mods are merely the control mechanisms - we are the captains, engineers and crew that steer her from point A on into the great unknown.

Please Jude - keep the stars, I totally see it as an additional thumbs up for the thread content and a way for members to again reiterate what you said.

Plus - to me your popularity is due to your wisdom
edit on 18-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

lol, maybe the star givers were just fans of you in general

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You were just tooling for more stars still, huh? Just joking. Your point is really well taken. Along these lines, I am shocked by how relatively few stars there are for the recent post on the potential feasibility of warp drive. Given all the UFO hard cases at ATS, one would think that said thread/post would garner hundreds or even thousands of stars. Clearly no one ever lost money underestimating the taste or intelligence of people, particularly Amurrikens.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

is this a ploy for more flags and star

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I would agree with your sentiments, BUT sublimecraft didnt "write" that thread. Its all copied stories that other have written or covered before. I think stars and flags should be reserved for people who actually write, instead of just copy and paste. my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
While I truly appreciate the accolades that stem from a post when deserved, this is absolutely ridiculous.

At the writing of this thread I have garnered 119 stars...the exact amount as the OP of a great thread. The thread was well laid out, informative, interesting and educational.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My post was 2 lines.

My point here is that we as a membership are getting too star happy in our posts.

Personally, I have written many threads that took many hours to construct with little to nothing of acknowledgement as have many other great contributors here. (Not saying I'm great myself) And then when I post a 2 line response to such a great thread I am starred 150 times. The same as the author who went to all the work to form the thread. This isn't right at all.

Please people, take a look at what you are rewarding because those most popular threads end up on the front page for all the World to see. Even if you are not fully versed in the subject matter but realize it's well written, researched and laid out, star and flag the hell out of it. It's the only way to bring intelligence and knowledge to the fore front.

While I truly appreciate the 150 stars, I didn't deserve it and most certainly didn't deserve the exact amount as the OP. I actually feel that the OP was robbed of his contribution.

In fact, if the mods have the ability to transfer my 150 stars to Sublimecraft and give that member a total of 238 stars on the thread www.abovetopsecret.com... I would have no issue with it whatsoever because it is fully deserved.

Thanks.

Peace

edit on 17-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Sometimes less is more.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

No he´s right. I took my first real thread yesterday it took me nearly two hours to get the text done alone and then someone posts a YT video about some imperial alien crap up and it get twice the stars. Same with another thread of my own. It was 5 minutes work and hit has the same amount of stars than my 2 hour compilation.

Not balanced.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Its not the size that matters...it what you do with it. Not quanity but quality.....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Sometimes a good story and mystery is not created but retold - that is all I was doing with this series and the "off-site content" and "links" appropriately gave the source material

Despite what you think this series was not about stars and flags - period. It was about the retelling of those things that I find interesting and consolidating them into one place for transparency and ease of access.

260+ members have responded to those 3 threads - the vast majority had heard of only some of the stories but not all of them so, imo, it was definitely well worth the....how did you put it........copy pasta

edit on 18-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: Deleted an unnecessary comment

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Some of it is also interest base. A Youtube vid of something bright in the sky with a few words added might get tons of flags and stars because there are a lot of members who love UFO's. Whereas a well written OP about an important news story might get a few replies, and fewer flags and stars.

Cutting and pasting is not really an issue. I recently created a thread that had a 20 post OP and was largely copy paste from a myriad our sources. I created it because nowhere on the web did I find a reference tool that contained the information I was looking for. It went barely noticed - even though I invested hours of work into it.

Do I feel slighted by that? Not at all. I wanted to create a reference tool for ATS - and I did so. If it's used or not, appreciated or not? No biggie. I accomplished what I set out to do.

And that is how I personally approach the whole subject. I write threads I would want to read, with information I care about. If they get some community kudos, in the form of flags or stars? Awesome. If not? Awesome too - because I now that I've put something out there that will be around for a very long time and might interest people long after I've forgotten about even having written it.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I see this a lot more with people with a border around their posts and with mods. Either could post "Good thread!" and get 100 stars for it. It's bizarre. Maybe the people starring those posts think the recipients can identify the star contributors. "If I star them, maybe they'll star me for writing one line!"

Anyway, S&F!

/TOA

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If you're not a popular poster, unless you've got something REALLY eye catching to read, 4-6 stars at the most.

A popular poster announces they've passed gas. 200 stars.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FurthestStar

Let's test that theory...

Hey ATS! I fartipated!

(I'm betting it doesn't work - and don't counter with "You're not popular" - because it will shatter my entire world! )

~Heff
edit on 9/18/12 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
People actually look at that star / flag crap? Isn't it a bit like the "Achievements" crap you get in video games for doing nothing?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i don't see the stars as a reward system, i see them as how many agree with or like what i have said.
and see the flags as people who want to keep up with the thread.

i'm willing to bet that there are some members who never post, all they do is star and flag posts or threads they like. i know some threads i don't post in but i will star a post if i agree or like what was said.

edit on 18-9-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You seem to be stuck on the fact that your post received just as many stars as the OP of that thread. The connection which seems obvious to me is that most likely the same people who starred the OP also starred your post because 1-They share the same sentiment, and 2-You said it first within the first few posts. This is definitely better than the first few pages of that thread being a series of posts saying pretty much the exact same thing you said.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
reply to post by milominderbinder

No he´s right. I took my first real thread yesterday it took me nearly two hours to get the text done alone and then someone posts a YT video about some imperial alien crap up and it get twice the stars. Same with another thread of my own. It was 5 minutes work and hit has the same amount of stars than my 2 hour compilation.

Not balanced.

No..it's not balanced. In your case you might very well have a good point.

However...the amount of time put into something isn't necessarily reflective of it's quality. I think we have all seen people put up lengthy diatribes that must take many, many hours to compose...and which are based on 100% fictional realities supported only by opinion and whim.

Personally, I'll take a link to a compelling ufo sighting over three pages of "Obama is a Muslim 'cuz Fox News said so" any day of the week.

My only point is that we ought to evaluate quality based upon quality. Neither brevity nor loquacity are a virtue unto themselves.
edit on 18-9-2012 by milominderbinder because: formatting

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Question- if you werent all about stars and flags, then why did you feel the need to make it 3 seperate posts? And claim each case took 45 minutes to "write"? Really? Cause i could copy and paste it all in about 5 minutes.

You claim you wanted to make them consolidated in one place? But thats quite contradictory to making 3 seperate threads.

You could of atleast linked to previous threads on ATS that cover each story and more than likely, have some original content.

Im sorry it hurts your ego, but copying and pasting doesnt earn my accolades

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join