It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking With Aluminum Foil Should Be Avoided

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

thanks for presenting some studys on this. Ive heard plenty about such things but never took the time to follow up on it. As it seems aluminum cans and even food wrapers can be harmful, heated or not. Though it seems heat intensifys the effects, logicaly.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I was digging around in search of peer reviewed journals and found some interesting bits about aluminum and AD.

It is now 25 years since the publication of our original paper investigating the association aluminum with Alzheimer's disease. This publication reported on the results of scanning electron microscopy coupled with x-ray spectrometry microprobe elemental studies of both neurofibrillary tangle-bearing and tangle-free neurons in the hippocampus of cases of Alzheimer's disease and controls. Peaks related to the presence of aluminum were consistently detected within the tangle-bearing neurons. This paper supported the association of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease on the cellular level of resolution and caused considerable interest and discussion. Subsequent work demonstrated prominent evidence of aluminum accumulation in the tangle-bearing neurons of cases of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/parkinsonism-dementia complex of Guam. This latter observation has now been replicated using five different forms of microanalysis. Finally, using laser microprobe mass analysis, we demonstrated that the abnormally high aluminum-related signal which we originally detected was actually located within the neurofibrillary tangle, itself, and was accompanied by excess concentrations of iron. Although it is unlikely that aluminum represents an etiologic cause of Alzheimer's disease, we believe that this highly reactive element, known to cross-link hyperphosphorylated proteins, may play an active role in the pathogenesis of critical neuropathologic lesions in Alzheimer's disease and other related disorders.

iospress.metapress.com...
So it is not the aluminum itself, but a reaction from it that may contribute to lesions. Still though, the aluminum is the catalyst. I guess it is just best to carry the awareness and pay attention to what we expose ourselves to. I am not here to say we must eliminate every single molecule of aluminum from our space and food(well maybe one day in a star trek kinda way), but with such minute quantities able to do harm, less is best.

Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Hear hear to that friend. I quit using plastic containers also, for the most part, and use glass or bamboo.

edit on 26-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If we can’t cook with aluminium foil, then how do we stop the government from using mind control rays on our food?

Jokes aside, I use cooking paper and Pyrex, I have not used foil in years (except of course for my hats)

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Aluminium, plastic wrap, PVC covers...... it's all bad.

Just cook in a pot the old way.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Good topic. And one dear to my heart. If you take a magnet with you next time you go to Wally World (or where ever) and check out the stainless steel cookware there, you will be surprised. Steel is magnetic. Yet the magnet will refuse to stick to a lot of the stainless steel cookware. I researched this on line and found out: There is no such thing as Stainless Steel. It is a Trade name. Also, aluminum was never designed for high heat (like cooking on a stove). It leaches poisonous gasses into the food. They shouldn't even be allowed to SELL this stuff as cookware.
As an aside....Organic health bars from the local health food stores. Wrapped in pretty wrapper, nice green healthy looking background. Open the bar....yep, wrapped in aluminum foil.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
JFC, what the hell are we supposed to do?

We cant cook on Teflon, we probably shouldnt be using microwaves, plastics and metal can liners are full of gender bending BPAs, food itself is genetically modified, flooded with insecticides, pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics...

And now I cant warm up my hamburgers on aluminum foil...

MOTHER EFFER!!!!!!!!????????

JSKAFH902R2UYR90U23904823#^$@&@$!@$@!$@!!~#!@!@$@#!$@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!#$FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD< br />

RON PAUL 2012 FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 27-8-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I've known and told everyone I know that aluminum and scratched teflon cooking is linked to Alzheimer and various diseases for years now.
Seriously, I barely even see the use for tin foil anymore and I use it, it never touches the food. I also bought stainless steel pots and pans to avoid teflon.

Strangely, I didn't know that part before reading this tread but when I cook reheated in aluminum, I don't cook it over 300 degrees because I noticed that it doesn't take the same. Pretty coincidental but now it makes more sense.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

So how do we avoid aluminum for cooking?

Good question.
Pyrex or the old fashion way, over an open flame maybe, or steaming. Abandoning foil for cooking is a game changer, and I don't know what else could be used to 'wrap' meats in for cooking. But I am going to avoid it personally. Cooking in parchment is an alternative too.

edit on 26-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

two words guys

GRILL IT!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I usually roast with foil, damn! Well time to invest in a proper roasting tin me thinks

this looks good and being rectangular gives a bit more space than the eliptical ones.

source

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Cast iron heats evenly and lasts forever. I also like glass and stainless steel and ceramic cookware. There are plenty of things around to cook with instead of things that contain aluminum. Stay away from Teflon coating too, Teflon and non stick coatings actually contain a chemicals that leech into food overtime and aren't good to ingest either.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Opportunia because: Clarification

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Are you kidding?
I very rarely cook USING foil.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Gee i wonder what will kill me 1st ...my 20 a day cigarette habit ,the fluoride in the water that i drink or the aluminum wrapped around my battery caged chicken ...oops i forgot about the mercury in my fillings

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm not sure where you guys are from, but I never have cooked with aluminum foil. What would be the reason for that? I do all the cooking in my house and cannot recall a single time that I've used aluminum foil to cook on.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
people line their baking pans with foil so you just toss it and no mess to clean, I almost never do that in my house.... I don't use foil except once recently I wrapped pieces of fish and they steam that way in the toaster oven.....Guess I will rethink that idea

last timed we baked a pie, we put foil over the top at one point so the crust wouldn't over cook....

edit on 27-8-2012 by research100 because: (no reason given)

anyone check out that new aluminum foil that is non stick??? is that even worse??
edit on 27-8-2012 by research100 because: added sentence twice

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Here it is from the 80's.

Health Hazards of Aluminum Cookware | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

Alzheimer's Disease
Consumer concern about the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease in the 1980's led to a Food and Drug Administration review of the risks of aluminum cookware. According to Michigan State University, the FDA concluded in 1986 that no information available proved harmful effects of aluminum intake from cookware and other typical daily sources.

Those of us who knew better ignored the fact that the FDA didn't have any studies to support the damaging affects of aluminum. I don't trust the FDA....at all. They don't even do their own studies, they rely on other's reports, many of which are falsified.

If the FDA says it's ok, it's more reason to consider "it probably is bad for you".

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shantyknight

Well I had no idea, thanks for the info

Now why am I not surprised at this?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

I could ask the same,"where are you from, where no one uses foil for cooking?"

Man most meats are cooked in foil it seems, for better or worse, it does cook well. Wrapped meats on the grill or for the oven is very common, at least in the south it is, and even here in Oregon I had a slab of ribs cooked in foil a week ago. But yea, we should utilize alternatives it seems.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies guys, and may this thread serve as an awareness pellet. There are alternatives to cooking with foil and overall it is healthy to start making better choices about food and toxic cookware. Even minute quantities add up over time, and trading in health for convenience seems logical to me.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I used to use foil a lot.
I had a baking pan, I'd line it with foil...cover it with foil.

About a year ago...I bought one of those big dark blue porcelain roasters, the kind they sell around Thanksgiving in the US.
I line the bottom with parchment paper, for easier cleanup mostly.

I think it does a much better job or roasting meats.

Also, slow cookers are another way to cook meats without foil.
I just would NEVER use those plastic liners

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join